First Ribs on the new Lang

Congrats on the new cooker. I cook with all cherry,and the smoke level is right where i like it. As others said, just experiment with different splits.

Try to find you some cherry and/or apple wood. This past weekend I alternated between oak and cherry and threw a small chunk of apple in once in awhile as well. Fire burned really clean and hardly ever saw any smoke. Everything had a nice smokey flavor but not over powering.

Try to find you some cherry and/or apple wood. This past weekend I alternated between oak and cherry and threw a small chunk of apple in once in awhile as well. Fire burned really clean and hardly ever saw any smoke. Everything had a nice smokey flavor but not over powering.

I usually do pork with all hickory or apple on my Lang. Like you, I found oak to not give the flavor I wanted.

Now I am hungry for ribs!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 48
Another thought, I am new here and don't know your experience level with offsets, but you did say it was your first ribs on the Lang so I am guessing at least this one is new.

My Lang 84 has enough airflow to run at over 500* if you build a big fire and leave the vents all open. This is way more flow than you need to smoke at 225 to 325. I always leave the chimney vent open and I open all four intakes on startup, but once it gets within 30-40* of my target I shut down both intake vents near the body. With a smaller fire built closer to the door, I will usually run with .75 to 1.5 worth of vents open. That gives plenty of air to keep the small fire burning clean and has the benefit of slowing down the air flow so there is more contact time, less fuel burned, and less drying of the meat. I am not sure how much that will impact the amount of smoke flavor, but it is something to try.

Congrats on the new Lang and good looking ribs.
The Lang runs a clean hot fire. Play with it and you'll get the flavor you're looking for.
That's the fun in it.

Don't know which shelf you cooked on, but I find there is more smoke on the upper shelf. Also, I added a 5"X4" duct reducer to the bottom of the stack-- forcing the smoke down to the lower shelf-- This adds enough wood flavor for me when I burn Oak. The reducer just slides into the bottom of the stack, lowering the stack about 6" inside.

The other woods suggested really do make a difference also.

Back