First KCBS experience

localyocal

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Brad
We just finished our first KCBS contest at Smokin for Garrett in Boonville, IN. Now I see what keeps you all coming back. The entire experience was awesome. We arrived and found that we needed about 40 ft more cord for our 30 amp service and another competitor immediately offered to let us use his and was sure to let us know that we weren't just competitors but in BBQ we are a family. Several came over when my wench quit to help me unload my smoker and help with any set up problems we had. Old Man Larry came to help several times and I have to say he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet in any walk of life.

Saturday morning rolled around and Son Seekers held Cooks Church and they had a terrific message and my 3 year old daughter got the royal treatment and a necklace of a Cross for her very own. It really made her day.

Until the very end everyone was very welcoming and really made us feel comfortable and never got irritated with any of my newbie questions.

It was a great experience and we can't wait to compete again to see all of our new friends again. It's a very family friendly event and I highly recommend it to anyone still on the fence.

That's great to hear!! Congratulations on your first cobs event, how did you do?

I actually had a big day of beginners luck and we were able to get Reserve with 15th in chicken, 2nd in Ribs, 7th in Pork and 5th in Brisket. We were blown away. We took a couple of classes this year with Warren County Pork Choppers and Lotta Bull BBQ and I give them all the credit. If I was smart I'd retire now.

thats an awesome showing! congrats! There is a great comp in Franklin, In in a couple weeks. Still looking for a few teams. come join us!

Wow! RGC first time out?!? That's awesome!!

I'll double-up on what Nachos said, you should join us in Franklin!

Several came over when my wench quit to help me unload my smoker and help with any set up problems we had.

Whoa, you had wenches lined up to help out and they drug up before you even got your smoker unloaded? :laugh: Seriously... I like these first time comp posts because it gives confidence to guys like me that are considering the same thing.

Back