First Brisket on the Humphreys

Pedro7

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Pete
Hello all,

I picked up a used Humphrey's Battle Box on here a few weeks back. With competition season right around the corner, I had to give the new smoker some work to do in order to get a feel for it and try a new rub/injection. Plus, I really need the practice. I cleaned it out and seasoned it last week by just running it awhile. Then sprayed it down with Pam and was ready to go this weekend.

I started with a 17 pound Angus Choice Brisket I got from my local butcher. Trimmed up aggressively, injected, and rubbed down. I'm trying Meat Church Holy Cow and their injection for the first time.

4Y084OU.jpg

IH95OBU.jpg

IT'S 3AM I MUST BE LONELYYYYY!!! Really tho, started at 3am. Took the Humphreys about 1.5 hours to heat up being that it doesn't ever want to get warm here in NJ. A solid 32 degrees at 3am. 325lbs of steel takes awhile. Using my BBQ Guru as well and using KBB charcoal and Hickory/Mesquite.

Cgolz6s.jpg

The brisket went on at about 4:30am and had it sitting out to get to room temp. Put my Thermoworks Smoke probes in the flat and point and let her rip at 225-250. Then went and slept for an hour and a half. Woke up and it was already around 145 degrees. Kept it going until it stalled out at 161, which was under 3 hours of cooking time. I've never had a brisket get to wrap that fast. Probably happened because it was a nicely marbled piece of meat and I cut most of the fat off. Wrapped up in foil, set in a pan, and put it back in.

tgsLEew.jpg

tgsLEew

Waiting. Seeing my Mets colored cooker is hard for a Yankee fan. Temps staying very consistent across the brisket. Finally a decent day in NJ to enjoy some sun even at 52 degrees.

B6LUTNq.jpg

1lm70dL.jpg

I moved it to the top shelf and bumped the heat to 275 as it was taking its sweet time getting to temp. Then, pulled off at 1:30PM once it hit 203. Into the cooler it went for 5 hours.

The goods. I made some burnt ends as well with the point. I didn't quite get the bark I wanted, but I attest that to only being in the smoker for under 3 hours before wrapping. Also led to a decent smoke ring, but not my best. Will work on those things and maybe cook lower or use more wood in the fire box. The brisket came out great, however. Great beefy flavor, super jiggly, great seasoning, and still good smoke. Myself and my lucky neighbors were extremely happy with it. There are some changes I'll make before competing, but I'm keeping those to myself :)

TDOnKm1.jpg

OsXCyEP.jpg

Ody4HX4.jpg

kplUtvd.jpg

And competition box prep.

DYCwTr5.jpg

Gs4m0ob

End thoughts: I was very happy with the Humphreys. It held temp extremely well, especially with the Guru. I didn't have to touch it for four hours after I wrapped the brisket. It was pretty efficient too. I used about 10lbs of charcoal total. It's pretty amazing it stays almost cool to the touch, so the insulation did its job. The water pan had to be refilled a few times as well and not letting the water run out definitely helped the water pan clean up after. Now just need to get a real cart or casters.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I picked up a used Humphrey's Battle Box on here a few weeks back. With competition season right around the corner, I had to give the new smoker some work to do in order to get a feel for it and try a new rub/injection. Plus, I really need the practice. I cleaned it out and seasoned it last week by just running it awhile. Then sprayed it down with Pam and was ready to go this weekend.

I started with a 17 pound Angus Choice Brisket I got from my local butcher. Trimmed up aggressively, injected, and rubbed down. I'm trying Meat Church Holy Cow and their injection for the first time.

4Y084OU.jpg

IH95OBU.jpg

IT'S 3AM I MUST BE LONELYYYYY!!! Really tho, started at 3am. Took the Humphreys about 1.5 hours to heat up being that it doesn't ever want to get warm here in NJ. A solid 32 degrees at 3am. 325lbs of steel takes awhile. Using my BBQ Guru as well and using KBB charcoal and Hickory/Mesquite.

Cgolz6s.jpg

The brisket went on at about 4:30am and had it sitting out to get to room temp. Put my Thermoworks Smoke probes in the flat and point and let her rip at 225-250. Then went and slept for an hour and a half. Woke up and it was already around 145 degrees. Kept it going until it stalled out at 161, which was under 3 hours of cooking time. I've never had a brisket get to wrap that fast. Probably happened because it was a nicely marbled piece of meat and I cut most of the fat off. Wrapped up in foil, set in a pan, and put it back in.

tgsLEew

Waiting. Seeing my Mets colored cooker is hard for a Yankee fan. Temps staying very consistent across the brisket. Finally a decent day in NJ to enjoy some sun even at 52 degrees.

B6LUTNq.jpg

1lm70dL.jpg

I moved it to the top shelf and bumped the heat to 275 as it was taking its sweet time getting to temp. Then, pulled off at 1:30PM once it hit 203. Into the cooler it went for 5 hours.

The goods. I made some burnt ends as well with the point. I didn't quite get the bark I wanted, but I attest that to only being in the smoker for under 3 hours before wrapping. Also led to a decent smoke ring, but not my best. Will work on those things and maybe cook lower or use more wood in the fire box. The brisket came out great, however. Great beefy flavor, super jiggly, great seasoning, and still good smoke. Myself and my lucky neighbors were extremely happy with it. There are some changes I'll make before competing, but I'm keeping those to myself :)

TDOnKm1.jpg

OsXCyEP.jpg

Ody4HX4.jpg

kplUtvd.jpg

And competition box prep.

DYCwTr5.jpg

Gs4m0ob

End thoughts: I was very happy with the Humphreys. It held temp extremely well, especially with the Guru. I didn't have to touch it for four hours after I wrapped the brisket. It was pretty efficient too. I used about 10lbs of charcoal total. It's pretty amazing it stays almost cool to the touch, so the insulation did its job. The water pan had to be refilled a few times as well and not letting the water run out definitely helped the water pan clean up after. Now just need to get a real cart or casters.

Nobody said you have to use the water pan :)!! Great looking cook!

Nobody said you have to use the water pan :)!! Great looking cook!

I'm going to try one without water in it and just put foil in to help catch the drippings.. Curious to see the difference. I really only had to fill it twice all day. A couple gallons and it was back in business.

Last edited:
I'm going to try one without water in it and just put foil in to help catch the drippings.. Curious to see the difference. I really only had to fill it twice all day. A couple gallons and it was back in business.

In my experience the difference is you use less charcoal. Be careful coming up to temp. Without water you can overshoot. I find throwing the brisket on really cold helps with the smoke ring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In my experience the difference is you use less charcoal. Be careful coming up to temp. Without water you can overshoot. I find throwing the brisket on really cold helps with the smoke ring.

Thank you for the response. You use less charcoal as in you burn less overall? Or do you just start with less in the basket to help with getting too hot?

While I was burning it in last weekend I noticed the temp spiked considerably when the water ran out. Should I just keep the damper shut and let the guru do the work if I'm cooking without water?

I'm using the drop in water pan btw.

Thank you for the response. You use less charcoal as in you burn less overall? Or do you just start with less in the basket to help with getting too hot?

While I was burning it in last weekend I noticed the temp spiked considerably when the water ran out. Should I just keep the damper shut and let the guru do the work if I'm cooking without water?

I highly recommend fire brick. I have a pint with a drop-in.

Both less charcoal at startup and total used. I like using a maze in the firebox to keep too much from being lit at once. I'm no expert on the guru but you definitely need less intake without water. With water you need a hotter fire to boil the water which means more intake.

I would say it is an Astros colored cooker. :-D

Hey, at least they've won something in recent memory. Out here Mets fans are like 86' WORLD SERIES CHAMPS FOR LYFE YOOOO!!!!! I hate the NBA, and I'm a UCONN fan for NCAA basketball. So, you can pretty much say it's the worst color combo for me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We are thinking black and red soon... Or, leave the orange and make the blue black.

Just out of curiosity: What is the purpose of the fire brick?

Just adds thermal mass that is the temperature of the cook chamber. Water isn't going to get above boiling so it just absorbs heat and evaporates using more fuel. Adding the fire brick means you have that much more thermal mass at your desired pit temp...which on a humphrey's means your recovery time is basically 0.

Back