First Brisket cook on UDS in progress

temping over 180 which surprised me... its been on 4 hrs and 20 mins :heh: hmmm.. not sure what to do.. thinking wrap in pan maybe.. i dunno lol.. ill post a pic.. might take a bit.. im raw at this.

rocky, it may be stalling at that temp for now. Just keep an eye on it and wait to see is the temp stays there. Sometimes, the temp may actually drop just a little and then start back up. Good luck.

doesn't seem like a ton of bark color.. only my second brisket though.. temp above 180 surprised me though.. temped many spots in flat and point..

brisket2_zpsme0adod2.jpg

rocky, it may be stalling at that temp for now. Just keep an eye on it and wait to see is the temp stays there. Sometimes, the temp may actually drop just a little and then start back up. Good luck.

Thanks for in the insight! Color doesn't seem too far gone.. temp is up though.. might just put it in foil pan... or do i let it go naked.. Both are equally tempting.. I always make things to complicated lol

cooker pushing 350 so i closed down vents 3/4.. still tough as leather but couriosity got the best of me and i probe temped it again anywhere from low 180's to over 190 lol.

Glad it worked out you! I've only had brisket once in life and that was on my kettle with the slow and sear and it was amazing. I did pan it for a few hrs and then finished out of pan the last hr or so while i probed it.

Did you wrap yours? if so what method did you use.

Thanks!
I wrapped in aluminum pan with foil on the pan and beef broth in the pan. I have also done wrapped just tightly in foil and I think I prefer the pan method. I want to try butcher paper next. As far as thermometers, I agree, the thermopop is awesome and they usually have sales going on. I would love a thermopen but can't justify 80+ dollars. The thermopop gives me a reading in just a few seconds and I got it on sale for (I think) 17 dollars.

From the color on the picture. I would let it ride nekkid for another hour or so and then check back. If the color still isn't too dark for ya, then keep it nekkid. If it starts getting to dark wrap it.

I typically cook brisket on my UDS at 300-325 degrees. If I do wrap, it is typically around the 4.5-5.5 hour mark (depending on what wood I use) when my color dictates I wrap it. Then the meat finishing typically between the 6-7 hour mark of the cook. *I wrap in foil*

This allows me to keep a texture of meat that is more towards a roast and not towards the braised meat texture. If you wrap brisket too early in foil, you will come out with braised meat instead of roasted meat.

Either way rocky. I would be tempted to put it in a foil pan and leave it uncovered for awhile. That will let some of the juices collect and hopefully keep more moisture in. Color will darken more if exposed to heat in a foil pan. Your real goal is tender and tasty. Keep some notes for next time.

I wrapped in aluminum pan with foil on the pan and beef broth in the pan. I have also done wrapped just tightly in foil and I think I prefer the pan method. I want to try butcher paper next. As far as thermometers, I agree, the thermopop is awesome and they usually have sales going on. I would love a thermopen but can't justify 80+ dollars. The thermopop gives me a reading in just a few seconds and I got it on sale for (I think) 17 dollars.

I panned mine also and it came out so juicy and a nice bark especially after putting it back on naked..

I'm just not real happy with my bark at the moment.. seems a little mushy and not set up yet

Shrugs

From the color on the picture. I would let it ride nekkid for another hour or so and then check back. If the color still isn't too dark for ya, then keep it nekkid. If it starts getting to dark wrap it.

I typically cook brisket on my UDS at 300-325 degrees. If I do wrap, it is typically around the 4.5-5.5 hour mark (depending on what wood I use) when my color dictates I wrap it. Then the meat finishing typically between the 6-7 hour mark of the cook. *I wrap in foil*

This allows me to keep a texture of meat that is more towards a roast and not towards the braised meat texture. If you wrap brisket too early in foil, you will come out with braised meat instead of roasted meat.

Dang i missed this one.. wow you guys and gals are amazing and fast with help.. think I'll do just what you said.. I'm not thrilled with the bark yet.

Either way rocky. I would be tempted to put it in a foil pan and leave it uncovered for awhile. That will let some of the juices collect and hopefully keep more moisture in. Color will darken more if exposed to heat in a foil pan. Your real goal is tender and tasty. Keep some notes for next time.

That is very tempting and a great thought, thanks! I'll let it run for another half hr on the grate and go from there.. use a little of everybody's thoughts.

Thanks so much, ya'll!

I put it on around 8:30 - little before. so 1:30 is five hrs.. Temp is up to around 340 now. She takes off with the lid off for not too long even.. It is windy out also

What aawa posted is good info. I try to cook brisket at around 275-300. At 350 it might not even stall any as that is more of a roasting temp. And yes, you will quickly learn not to peak as that will make controlling an even temperature very difficult. It will come out just fine.

Last edited:
What aawa posted is good info. I try to cook brisket at around 275-300. At 350 it might not even all any as that is more of a roasting temp. And yes, you will quickly learn not to peak as that will make controlling an even temperature very difficult.

:thumb:

This is bringing make memories of my first pork butt cook yrs ago.. ahh the anxiety lol :)

temp is back down to the 300 range by shutting down intake to 3/4. These drums sure like to settle in where they like :thumb:

270 now.. The drum really responds fast to closing of the intakes pretty fast.. surprised me some. I had flames going after i opened it for a bit to temp. I figured for sure it would take time to get it down from 350.

Last edited:
Back