THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Carl
So about a month ago a friend of mine, who is the Pastor of a church, ask me if i would cook for a Revival that they were having. All I had to do was cook the meat. We decided on pulled pork sandwiches since you can feed a lot of people for fairly cheap. I told him that I would donate all of the meat and cook it for the church. So I go to Sam's Club on Thursday and pick up 122 lbs of butts. I get it home and my son and I start injecting with apple juice. Once the injection is done I fire up the monster. It's loaded with Kingsford Professional and Pecan chunks.

20190829_140452.jpg

As the monster temp climbs to the set temp of 225* (Fireboard controller) I go ahead and rub down the butts. I used Killer Hogs "The BBQ Rub".

20190829_162419.jpg

Smoker is up to temp and I load her up. 16 butts ranging in size from 7-9 lbs each. 5 butts on the top shelf, 5 butts on the bottom shelf, and 6 butts on the middle shelf. On the very bottom shelf i put in a couple of drip pans with some water. If I really needed the room I could have left the drip pans out and load the very bottom shelf. All in all this smoker is capable of cooking 24, (7-9 lb) pork butts. That is impressive. Not only that, I had even temps +/- a few degrees from top to bottom for the entire cook. The only issue that I had was the recovery time to get back up to temp after i loaded it up with meat. but that was a huge mass of cold meat going in there. This IVS will hold more meat than my 250 gallon RF!!

20190829_163817.jpg

I got them wrapped up around midnight and went to sleep :whoo:. Mind you, I slept on the couch because I wasn't sure if I would be up all night. It was my first long cook on this smoker. I am used to feeding a firebox every 30-45 minutes. I set the alerts on my Fireboard to go off when the meat hits 195*. Alarm went off around 0400. I went out and checked the butts, not ready yet. Around 0500 is when they all were finally off and resting.

20190830_084012.jpg
20190830_084016.jpg

I let them rest and then pulled them and kept them hot till delivered.

Final thoughts, I'm not sure which fuel I like the best yet, briquettes or lump. I will keep searching for the one that suits me best. I really like this smoker and I will be putting my 250 gallon RF smoker up for sale here in the real near future :becky:.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great. How would you compare the taste compared to your offset?

It is a little less smoke flavor than the stick burner, but I expected that when I bought it. I will need to play with the wood to charcoal ratio to get more smoke flavor. Overall flavor is outstanding though. No off putting flavors at all. I really like this smoker.

Plus you get to sleep, and the trailer is smaller. Doesn't have the disco burner for cooking chichirrones though.

Good looking cook - I need to run up the hill & check out the new toy in person.

Scott, Just give me a call to make sure I'm home. I don't want you to become a snack for the dog :laugh:. She will treat you like a lollipop and lick you till you disappear. hahaha.

Last edited:
:clap2: I’d keep both of them Smokers or Sell 250 and buy a smaller offset. Everybody should Both a Charcoal Smoker And a Stick burner........

:clap2: I’d keep both of them Smokers or Sell 250 and buy a smaller offset. Everybody should Both a Charcoal Smoker And a Stick burner........

I have a double home built offset on a trailer as well. I will be keeping that one. But I agree with you, you should definitely have both.

Wow! what a way to really break her in. Job well done and good on you Carl for donating the meat, your time and expertise. :thumb:

Very nicely done, Carl.

It looks like that cooker ran on rails.

You're going to be a bad influence if we make the move West in a short bit.... I can tell.

Back