First attempt on UDS and results!

medsin

Found some matches.
Hello Brethren!

I have been a huge fan of good old classic BBQ. Over the past couple of years began I have slowly began getting into smoking. Recently, both a friend of mine and I began doing a lot of research about best ways to smoke food and best equipment to obtain. (Bless this forum and Youtube, tons of resources everywhere!)

Unfortunately though, I live in the middle east. Finding good quality stuff is truly a pain and if you find anything, you might have to pay an arm and a leg for it. (PBC would ring me near $600 dollars for just the basic package and delivery.. The only one in stores locally was a WSM 14" and it goes for 530 dollars.) So I slowly began my work on researching UDS, and while doing so somehow we managed to find a good deal for a WSM 22" on our version of craigslist, which my friend snagged as he was the one that persuaded me to inter the smoking hobby. I was content on going for a UDS build and so my journey began a couple weeks ago after tons of research here in these forums.

The Project:

The selected barrel. It took me a while to find a good one. Luckily a friend had a few in a workshop and gladly gave me one for free. It used to carry diesel fuel.

AgKEX8c.jpg

Began the process of sanding the outer paint out, burning the inside, and cleaning, burning, and cleaning.. and again another burn and a clean with metal wire mesh. Initial concept design began. I used the PBC as my main design idea.

HMxZRgt.jpg

Further progress. Paint is done. added the valves for air intake. Was not yet satisfied wanted a few tweaks. The charcoal basket hang ring was just too high. I made it flat, and shorten the legs. No pictures for that sadly.

EC4Jwn4.jpg

mwZwV3Z.jpg

Final build. The temperature gauge was a simple Char-Boil one.. the only one I found locally here. Not very happy with it, the one I ordered of Amazon is yet to ship. Christmas holidays is slowing packages down, so I will have to wait it out. At least I have a proper wireless probe that I can set one for the oven temp and one in the meat.

GPg2XGd.jpg

At this point, the grill has already been seasoned a couple of times. The first real cook attempt begins on some chicken... Glorious!

0Z16RaF.jpg

End result after the cook. The chicken was amazing. (I forgot to spray the chicken to moisten it during the cook and the basting was very late.. But hey, I'll learn and improve! For first attempt to ever smoke, I am very pleased).

jwurzR3.jpg

I must say, I am in love with the UDS. I can't wait to experiment more. Wish I had access to good quality cuts and meat to be able to try out new things. After a few more attempts and getting the hang of this beast. I will give Brisket a go. That is my current goal.

Apologize for any bag English and picture resolution. Some were stolen from snapchat as I totally forgot to take a regular picture from the excitement.

You did good, Medsin ! You're going to love that cooker. What kind of wood do you smoke with?

Thanks everyone! I am really in love with it. I can't wait to try some more. I used mainly kingsford original bricks and hickory wood chunks. Only available woodchunks here is Hickory and Apple.

Looks like a nice build, and she seems to be working well for you so far.

Chicken sure looks tasty.

Thanks for sharing!

Back