THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Alright so I've always wanted to have a small like fire pit in front of the house.. I have a place right in front of the house with open air above it. But I don't want it to be permanent..

Right now I have to be close to the house as I'm taking care of my sick grandma.. But would love to have a fire in the front yard to hang out have a few drinks.. and some relaxing time as I'm pretty much stuck at home..

Ran across this

https://www.amazon.com/BALI-OUTDOOR...+pit+with+cooking+grate&qid=1625894342&sr=8-5

What are your thoughts? Is there better options? $200 is probably my max budget for something like this.. I ALMOST bought a weber jumbo joe just to cook with something other than gas the other day for 79 bucks. LOL But would rather do live fire

I bought one like that a few years aGo(ALDI)
A the time i thoughta 44gal ll drum cut sideways would have been better and free.
Just the same amount of metal and would last as long

I have a solo stove. Things amazing. Smokeless once it gets heated. I usually just toss a grate over top to cook on it but you have to be careful because it gets crazy hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 36" cowboy grill we bought years ago at Sams, has a stainless rack for grilling, I added casters to it , works great but it wants me to have a Argentina style grill every time I use it for temp control and fuel loading

I sort of like the idea of an adjustable grate that you can swing over the fire - or out if need be. Then I think of hot grease just dripping all over when you did have to swing it out.

So- I take a pass and move on.

We also have a Solo Stove. Really like it. As said they do get hot. They are a very efficient fire pit. We just set the grate from our kettle on it and cook away. Will say though, Solo Stoves are not cheap. But it should very well last longer than either my wife or I will be around. Solid build.

I picked up a kudu grill a while back. It’s not cheap (I got one locally so it was cheaper than buying direct) but it’s a great option. The grate and pan can be moved up of down over the heat and moved out of the way to leave you with a fire pit.

Maybe check FB Marketplace and CL for a tractor/truck rim and use a kettle grate or expanded metal for cooking.

It's hit/miss, of course, but you may get lucky.

I picked up a kudu grill a while back. It’s not cheap (I got one locally so it was cheaper than buying direct) but it’s a great option. The grate and pan can be moved up of down over the heat and moved out of the way to leave you with a fire pit.

This is a great option to be honest after looking at it! Not exactly what I want.. BUT I like it for what it is. I was looking at walmart and they had those round ball shaped fire pits ya know.. I was thinking "dude that would be awesome something like this but with the cooking grate that raises up and down

Maybe check FB Marketplace and CL for a tractor/truck rim and use a kettle grate or expanded metal for cooking.

It's hit/miss, of course, but you may get lucky.

Yeah this is something I would want to do at my original fire pit.. which is a distance away from the house in a place we don't normally "hang out" so its kinda awkward. But its Just a place I have camp fires for cooking and for the "hang out by the fire" thing.

Wanted something I could place in my front yard without burning it up.. or making a permanent fire pit. But I assume that any of these fire pits like I linked might burn up the grass or anything under it.. (maybe?).

Wanted something I could place in my front yard without burning it up.. or making a permanent fire pit. But I assume that any of these fire pits like I linked might burn up the grass or anything under it.. (maybe?).

I think any normal design is going to burn up the grass under it. The only one I know of that might work is the Solo stove others mentioned. I went with Breeo myself but I’ve seen videos of a solo stove being used on a wood deck and on carpet. I know mine gets smoking hot on the bottom but apparently the similar designed solo stove must not.

They had a July 4th sale still going on a day or two ago where they were 30% off so now would be the time to buy it if you go that route.

I’ve got a Breeo also. It’s on the expensive side, but really well made, and works great.

Before the Breeo, I had been using a salvaged stainless steel drum from a clothes dryer. It actually worked pretty well all things considering. I still have it, and it holds up perfectly fine to fires. I use it to burn stumps around the property as it has no bottom. Just put it around the stump. Get a fire going and burn the stump away.

Back