Finally...............

"We are slow learners and stubborn too I guess :crazy:. I thought we'd have one last year and came close a few times, but never had it all click perfectly at once. As for the tequila we drink which ever booze we can get our hands on :becky: and save the good stuff to put in our pork..............huh :thumb:"

You were just waiting for the right moment...lol! Congrats Jason...well done! :thumb: PS...it was the Bulliet...:becky:

Congrats. We are still looking for our first. We fall in the slow learning, stubborn group as well. Glad to see it can pay off. Again congrats and enjoy for weeks to come! :clap2:

Congrats and it's well deserved. Hopefully I will catch that elusive GC this year as well! Nice Job. :thumb:

It's amazing how some "Pro" teams turn in what they turn in. But in all fairness I have had some amazing turn ins as well, not at this event though.

Buckscent, as a cook (and a CBJ) speaking to a judge I'd just like you to know that sometimes things don't go anywhere according to plan. We had a ton of things go wrong at Cornelia during our cook and knew our meat wasn't up to par at this competition, but I'd rather turn in something than nothing and get DQ'd.

Teams spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to attend each competition, and no one is more disappointed than us when we are not happy with our turn-ins, but still we have to turn something in. I was very upset with how our day went, but we still had fun and got to spend time with a lot of Brethren and make new friends.

(sorry to semi-derail Tenacious Q's celebration post)

Well, that's just awesome!
Thanks for the story.

We got our first last year and will never forget it.

You guys are just.......well..........TENACIOUS!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Congrats! I remember cooking against you a few years ago in lincolnton, were you using wsm's back then? Good luck with your restaurant gig as well. I will be opening up a small Q joint this fall, so my completion schedule is hurting as well.

Congrats!!! I was a judge on the Pro Side there. I know I did not get any of your meat because I was not impressed at all with any of the turn ins our table got. It's amazing how some "Pro" teams turn in what they turn in. But in all fairness I have had some amazing turn ins as well, not at this event though. Congrats again!!!! It was a rainy weekend for you for sure

Thanks. It was really cool.

In terms of food the judges get, sometimes folks aren't on their game and we have definitely been in that boat many times included multiple competitions last year where it appeared we tried to poison someone. Heck our first pro KCBS we finished Dead Ass Last and from the scores I'm sure someone yacked up our food :becky:.

Gotta start somewhere though. In the beginning after a few backyard we signed up for the "Pro" division knowing we weren't "Pro" nor do we feel like we are now (I mean look at the idiot pictures I put up on FB :-D). Pro is just the application we happen to fill out. Some new teams decide to just start out in "Pro" and see how their food stacks up and learn from there.

Don't want to derail my own thread :crazy::-D so I'll leave it there. Hope you get the good stuff the next time around :clap2:. Thanks for judging.

Congrats! I remember cooking against you a few years ago in lincolnton, were you using wsm's back then? Good luck with your restaurant gig as well. I will be opening up a small Q joint this fall, so my completion schedule is hurting as well.

Yeah that was a fun event. I remember it too. We did have 2 wsm's and also used a gravity fed back then too that we didn't bring. Good luck with your Q joint!

Well, that's just awesome!
Thanks for the story.

We got our first last year and will never forget it.

You guys are just.......well..........TENACIOUS!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thanks. I should add that our next competition wasn't until the Sams club May 30th, but after this weekend I couldn't wait that long. We are honeymooning leaving this Saturday to go to Florida and it was going to be a Saturday to Saturday trip, but I found an event in Mississippi at the end of the honeymoon that we are going to leave on Friday for :becky:. So I'll drag my camper and all the gear down to FL and leave it at a storage place for the week while we are at the beach then leave early Friday for MS.

I should add my wife not only full supports the decisions, but of course asked if they have a dessert contest :biggrin1:. Love that girl.

Congratulations on your first GC, I'm sure there will be more in the future. Our team will be in Brandon cooking next weekend , also. Look us up (just don't watch us cook unless you want to slide back down the ladder). We'll be the team with the poorest looking setup on the whole site. We are the River Rat Pig Porkers. Look foward to seeing you there.

Congratulations on your first GC, I'm sure there will be more in the future. Our team will be in Brandon cooking next weekend , also. Look us up (just don't watch us cook unless you want to slide back down the ladder). We'll be the team with the poorest looking setup on the whole site. We are the River Rat Pig Porkers. Look foward to seeing you there.

Thanks. Yeah we'll look for you guys there. Looking forward to it :becky:.

Back