Dr. Chicken's Double-Smoked Ham- inject, or no?

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Okay- been fired-up to take a whack at this for a while now. Lo and behold, come to find yesterday there seems to be plenty of folk who prefer this method just using the glaze, & not injecting it. After, of course, I've spent a small fortune on all the injection ingredients (aside from the elusive butter pecan extract).

Random questions I'm having as my trepidation over injecting this ham grows:

Since I do not have butter pecan extract, would a combination of butter extract and almond extract be a suitable substitute? I've found butter pecan syrup to be equally as elusive.

Does injecting a ham make much difference? I've had mixed results on other meats. Pork butts I would not inject again as I found no noticeable advantage. Love me some brisky injection, if for no other reason than the liquid crack that the resulting juices taste like.

Any other feedback on the Dr. Chicken / Sweet Kiss of Death Double-Smoked Ham recipe would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, & Hoppy Easter, pharkers!

I've done double smoked ham both ways; injecting and not injecting....

Believe it or not the biggest part of my family prefer it not to be injected, just double smoked and glazed.

I'm a double smoked and glazed myself...I'll be doing another one in a couple of weeks as well.

Not so sure this injection OR the glaze has turned out the way it they are supposed to. The injection smells way too sweet, and the glaze seems too bitter. May have to add more brown sugar to get rid of the bitter glaze after-taste. Not sure if I'm gonna gin through with injecting...

Just adjust it to your personal liking. My brother-in-law leaves out the vinegar, the coffee, and the maple syrup and it still tastes very good.

Back