THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is not 16Adams, but...

This is an official entry...

:becky:

Bovine Bold Pot Roast

I picked up a 3.5 lb bone-in chuck roast and seasoned it liberally with Bovine Bold from Plowboys BBQ and let it rest to give the rub a chance to rehydrate.

16022632421_6d10ed38fe_c.jpg

While it was resting I cut up some carrots, celery, onions and red skin potatoes and put them in the Crock Pot along with some garlic and more Bovine Bold...

16024570145_cc4b6a568a_c.jpg

Then I tossed the chuck onto the grill to give it some nice crosshatching and flavor...

15402314994_9a3e18f1b9_c.jpg

15838826847_7f9c50fbf6_c.jpg

Once that was done it went into the Crock Pot (tight fit) along with some red wine and beef stock...

15837156958_163e9059c5_c.jpg

8 hours later...

16022632631_000aaf71be_c.jpg

16022632691_8806e1af1e_c.jpg

Please use this picture ^^^^ for my entry

This is my favorite way of doing a pot roast. Bovine Bold gives it a little heat and you can taste the flavor from the grill.

Please accept this official entry into the "With a Bone" TD.

This is my entry titled "Smoked Osso Bucco".

I've been wanting to make osso bucco for a long time, so far I've only ordered it in restaurants. These shanks are pastured, traditionally-raised beef from a farm down the road, it's lovely beef.

In the container where it waited a couple of days for me to get my act together.

Sprinkled with salt and pepper, lightly floured and now browning in beef fat from another cook. Once the shanks were in the pan I realized I forgot to tie them first. :doh: I thought, okay, I'll just tie them after. No good, will not forget to do that again. :tsk: The natural membrane enclosure for the shank shrinks with browning and the inside meat deforms and pops out, not to be popped back in like I thought it could be.

Holy trinity browning in the pan, deglazed with red wine and liquid topped up with vegetable broth. The wine is a kit I made at one of those you brew places. Special order premium kit, aged 6 years. Darn delicious, lucky there was enough for the cook and the cooked.

Don't tell Carol I'm smoking it in the good French CI that she won't let me use outside. She's asleep in bed with a monster bad cold.

Threw in some dried thyme, tarragon, garlic, bay leaf to complete the seasoning. Here we are in Dragon-awe's belly, she'll do the rest.

I could not believe the glorious smell of this as I carried it into the house. :faint:

Please use the photo below for voting.

At this point Carol wakes up after sleeping since breakfast and says she is not hungry. It's about 8 pm. I decide not to make the risotto and parsley/tomato salad until tomorrow and start cooling the beef off to put in the fridge. At this point all I've done is smell it, not taste it, so I take one of the pieces of meat I couldn't coax back in place by tying.

Darn delicious!!! Dog loved his tidbit, too. I loved how the wine deepened and broadened the beef flavour, it's gorgeous. This is a great dish to make when good friends or family come over.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
ON EDIT: The following is a stupid question, they are red potatoes, NOT APPLES! :tsk:

Hey Ron, love the cook, it's gorgeous. How did apples taste in the background with the beef and other flavours? I know how apples complement the flavour of pork but I don't have experience with beef.

Please accept this as my official entry to the "With a Bone" Throwdown.
These are untrimmed spareribs. They were coated with soy sauce, then rubbed with a 50/50 mixture of five spice powder and brown sugar.
Rubbed_zps8e931f64.jpg

While the rub was setting, it was time to prepare the grill. Before setting it up, the cooking grate had to be cleaned.
Working_zps7c01e974.jpg

The ribs were cooked between 250 and 300 degrees until they passed the tooth pick test.
Please use this picture for my entry.
Finished_zps5a9e9996.jpg

ON EDIT: The following is a stupid question, they are red potatoes, NOT APPLES! :tsk:

Hey Ron, love the cook, it's gorgeous. How did apples taste in the background with the beef and other flavours? I know how apples complement the flavour of pork but I don't have experience with beef.

That made me laugh! thanks! :becky:

I forgot that some people demand the cook thread be here.

I grabbed another premium Angus brisket on the bone.
Simple slather of mustard and Bovine Bold Rub and smoked it over hickory at 220f for a few hours, then 250f for a few, and crept up to 280f for another four hours.
IMG_3101_zps18414c49.jpg

IMG_3103_zps37fdb8f4.jpg

IMG_3103_zps37fdb8f4.jpg

Shut her down when it was probe tender.
I used a thermometer just because it is a new toy I wanted to test.
It worked perfectly.

IMG_0830_zps72aa45e3.jpg

Rendered a lot of tallow, and when I moved it the bottom bone fell out, the rest pulled easy.

A cold slice pic!

IMG_0832_zpscaed0faa.jpg

I made a liquid gravy with the drippings adding red wine and spices.
Bagged some blocks with the gravy into the freezer, and the brisket was cut with a spoon tender.
Best so far.
I am absolutely sold on the brisket on the bone as my best option.
Thanks Breth!

Back