Discussion Thread -> "Veggies!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Our new TD category is..."Veggies!"
picture.php

This was Caseydog's winning entry in the 2013 "Time for Veggies to shine" TD

As chosen by Big George's BBQ for winning the "Stuffed!" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Big George's BBQ said:
How about Veggies?

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/31 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/10/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/10/15

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot-Mess Skirt Steak Smoked Salad

Here is my cook thread for my hot mess salad: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215414

The rub used on the skirt was my espresso steak rub.
Something new I tried on the veg was what goes on an "everything bagel." :clap2:

Beef love was used once again to baste the skirt.:laugh:

I know it looks crazy but it was really yummy.
Please use this picture as my official entry thingy...

My Daughter wanted to learn how to work the grill, and she loves veggies. Here is her first cook.

The last picture is my official entry, but have no idea how to get these words above the picture... sorry.

Attachments

• 10390067_10156007960960508_4852782370869355311_n.jpg
    10390067_10156007960960508_4852782370869355311_n.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 129
  • 11402623_10155796693770425_8194748538723788342_o.jpg
    11402623_10155796693770425_8194748538723788342_o.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 11709960_10155796693790425_531170908316362333_o.jpg
    11709960_10155796693790425_531170908316362333_o.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 301
Throwdown entry. Grilled veggie tart.

When it comes to grill veggies, I'm pretty much a skewer guy so I googled the subject and settle on this. The phyllo just sounded good.
Took yellow squash, zucchini,sweet onion, red and yellow peppers, baby bellas, corn,asparagus and grilled them up in shifts.
tart19.jpg

And wound up with this.
tart15.jpg

Layered the phyllo sheets with evoo, black pepper, and a three cheese mix.
tart14.jpg

Asiago on the last layer.
tart13.jpg

Loaded in the veggies.
tart12.jpg

Hit the top with more three cheese and some red pepper flakes.
tart11.jpg

Got the Pro Q running HOT!
tart10.jpg

In goes the tart.
tart9.jpg

Not nearly as brown as I wanted, but it was bubbling big time so out it came. I was thinking that the bottom would be soggy, but was dang crispy.
tart8.jpg

Never used this dough before. Took a couple of aluminum throw aways to make the tart pan.
tart3.jpg

tart2.jpg

This stuff was killer! Please use the following shot for entry, and thanks for looking!
tart4.jpg

I haven't done this in awhile so hopefully I'll do this right. Please accept this as my official entry into the veggie throwdown.

I decided to go with a simple grilled romaine lettuce salad. I started with the romaine lettuce, sweet peppers, red onion, shallot, cherry tomatoes, avocado, sea salt and fresh ground pepper:

cut everything in half, drizzled with some olive oil and put the lettuce, onion and peppers on the BGE:

Ended with avocado and tomatoes:

Plated for serving:

A single serving of grilled salad. Please use this photo for voting.

I've wanted to try grilling romaine lettuce for awhile. This throwdown gave me an excuse to do so. Grilling really does bring out the sweetness of the lettuce. Thanks for looking.

I'm completely new at this, so please accept this as my official entry.

Moose knows that I am particularly fond of parsley, and I have several recipes for it. I also like cilantro, but that is a bad throwdown ingredient because many people hate cilantro. For that reason, I stuck with parsley. This is also something I've had a bit of practice with in the past. One of the tricky things with parsley is that it can dry out and burn very easily. It is essential to place the parsley on a moist support. Although I've used rib roasts in the past, I have also used steak. For this particular meal, I used three racks of ribs.

Note that I try to spread it out so it doesn't clump too much. When it is on a moist surface, it can be smoked for hours. I tried something different this time. I thought it would be fun to try different sauces on the parsley. So on 1/3 of the parsley, I put some BBQ sauce. On the other 1/3, I put some tomato sauce, like the kind you would put on pizza (note there are veggies in both of these sauces too!). The tomato sauce reminds me of my grandparents who always cooked ribs in their tomato sauce. It also reminds me of a restaurant I went to some 40 years ago in South Tucson called Alfredo's. They made fabulous BBQ ribs, but they had a spaghetti-like sauce on them. I don't think they're around anymore, but their ribs are embedded in my tastebuds, even after 4 decades. I figured that the ribs and the tomato sauce would compliment the parsley nicely. The middle third was kept as a control with no sauce at all!

Finally after about another hour or so, I figured the parsley was sufficiently smoked and I removed it from the pit and served it.

It was fabulous, really cooked to perfection! Oh, and please use that last pic as my official throwdown pic please.

I had a lot of help with this particular cook, especially in the early stages. It appears that I have a very stupid pit that doesn't light automatically. The complete thread is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215630

Back