THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.25 lb. Ribeye with Blue Cheese Compound Butter

This is my entry into the “Steak!” Throwdown.

A while ago I purchased this nice looking Bone-in Ribeye with the intention of entering it into a Throwdown (“Big Farking Chop”)

Unfortunately I didn’t read the entry deadline correctly and missed the cutoff time. No worries, I froze it and waited for a better time to cook it. A couple days ago I thawed it out. I frenched the Ribeye.

Here are the ingredients for the rub. (Same as I use on Tri-Tip)

I finely chopped the Rosemary. I rubbed on some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground sea salt with garlic, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the Rosemary.

I wrapped this up and let it rest for 6 hours.

Later I put the Ribeye on the 225 degree kamado, indirect, with some Hickory chunks and set my thermometer for an IT of 113 degrees. Once my thermometer alarm went off, I remove the Ribeye and loosely tented with foil. I opened my vents all the way and waited for searing temperatures.

Once it reached 500 degrees on the dome thermometer I put the Ribeye on for 3 minutes per side.

I removed it and let it rest 10 minutes and then plated everything up. Here it is with the Brussels Sprouts, some rice pilaf that my wife made, a couple of coins of Blue Cheese Compound Butter and a Modern Times Blazing World IPA.

A perfect medium rare.

And here is the money shot below.

Unbelievably Delicious!

The entire cook thread can be seen here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214863

Does cutting before cooking help for qualifying?

If the mods are so inclined, please consider this as an official entry for the steak throwdown and my first ever entry to a throwdown (I think).

I wouldn't do this otherwise, but I just happened to find some grass-fed beef short ribs at the farmer's market for my first ever beef short ribs. I managed to get them for what I thought was a great price, so I decided to try smoking them. Incidentally, and without having seen the ruling on silverfinger's rib slab, I went ahead and cut the four largest short ribs from the two plates I had. This detail is why I'm hoping the mods will consider accepting this entry.

121yej6.jpg

After rubbing with some black ops and vegetable oil, I threw them on my wsm with a smokenator in it and two little water pans on top. I used four small chunks of hickory during this cook, and I liked the flavor it imparted. I am able to get my temperature to hold fairly steady between 225 and 250 now, which is helpful.

rm6047.jpg

After several hours, they were almost ready. I pulled them all between 200 and 205, which was probe tender for me. This took about 8 hours for two and 10 hours for the others. They had a nice bite and chew to them, but they were pleasantly tender. I didn't know what to expect, but I will do this again (just using more ribs next time).

2v3lybp.jpg

Please accept the following as my official entry pic (if permitted):

2a65r90.jpg

ehs5mw,
Since your beef ribs were cut perpendicular BEFORE they were cooked, I'm thinking they should qualify.
From what I've read, my entry does not fit the steak definition as the cut that was cooked was a slab of ribs on the bones which are sliced parallel to the muscle, then was cut across the muscle only for serving. Yours were not. Best of luck!! You got my vote! :thumb:

Hello Brethren,
This is my try to "STEAKS THRODOWN".

Settled my 26" Kettle for indirect L&S round 190/200F with water added and hickory cuncks for smoke.

IMG_1918 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

2 Heavy T-bone steaks:
IMG_1958 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thawed in fridge and dry aged for 1 day. Then dry brined for some hours and peppered.

In the kettle for reverse sear action.

IMG_2002 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

2 hours later the thinner was 124F and 40 minutes later the thicker was 124F too.
The thinner

IMG_2017 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

The thickest

IMG_2046 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Wrapped in double foil and blancket till dinner

IMG_2059 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Then settled Weber kettle for direct heat and searing action

IMG_2092 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

let them rest for 10 minutes and sliced

The Italian Scottona Parmense was like this

IMG_2100 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2106 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

The Black Angus from National Beef was like this

IMG_2117 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2120 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Please accept this pic as my official entry to "STEAKS THRODOWN":

IMG_2119 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

My first official throwdown entry!

Nothing special, just a few Walmart sirloin petite steaks reverse seared...tried these new all natural briquettes, Rediflame WoodGrillers. Got them at Ollies for 2.49 a pack, figured why not...just sawdust bound together. They burn HOT. Finished the sear with a piece of cherry split super super small to get a flame. Here's the finished product...didn't get anymore shots after this one. Seasoned with SPOG and a little Jack Daniels BBQ rub...just for that extra kick.

WoodGrillers, for those of you who do not know about them:
http://www.rediflame.com/woodGrillers.php

Those look great! Unfortunately the deadline for this TD was noon CST today. Sorry! On the bright side, looks like you ate well :)

Back