Discussion Thread -> "Special Rules Clusterfark!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

This is an entry.

Grilled Ribeye with Bearnaise, Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms and Hasselbeck Potato

I started with a couple of ribeyes that were a little over an inch thick.

16140105383_eab629dd87_b.jpg

We must have 5 tape measures, but could I find one? So I grabbed my brisket ruler (the ruler that I use when trimming competition briskets to make sure they fit the box). Of course, it doesn't start the measurement at the end of the ruler :mad:

16573912289_02c2ed6169_b.jpg

I think you get the idea. The steaks are a little over an inch thick.

Anyway, I coated the steaks with a little olive oil and I tried a new steak rub...

16760042205_c3775467c2_b.jpg

I let the steaks rest on the counter with the rub on them while I fired up the grill and got the potatoes baking. I also made the base of the bearnaise (shallots, fresh herbs, champagne vinegar and white wine). I let that base simmer until reduce by half and then let it cool.

I started the mushrooms sautéing. Next I put the steaks on and added the spinach to the mushrooms. I grilled the steaks over direct heat for 5 minutes a side. When I was uploading the pictures I realized that I failed to get an action shot of the food on the grill :doh:

Once the steaks were done I let them rest while I finished the bearnaise and then plated everything...

16140106423_fc033fe4f6_b.jpg

Please use this picture ^^^^ for the vote thread.

I like the Code3 Grunt Rub, but I may go a little heavier with it next time.

As a word of note, these steaks have been sliced significantly thinner than 1". I expect they all will be DQ'ed, so I'm just giving you all a heads-up that you may want to prepare another entry.

I expect the mods did not inform anyone yet, since this is the clusterfark TD and their goal was to really turn this into a big clusterfark with all these DQs. Sorry mods, if I spoiled your fun.

My final entry shot and polling pic if you please. Ribeye Steak, Potato and Brussels Sprout Soup, with Roquefort creme. What a ClusterFark

Here in the Detroit area the temp finally got above freezing for the first time since January just a couple days ago. Decided to breakout the Performer yesterday when temps got into the mid 40s.

2.2# bone-in ribeye.

Mix of oyster & shiitake shrooms.

Had planned to sear over the chimney but the steak was too large. Seared in a cast iron griddle pan and then moved to indirect heat.

Baked sweet potato with sauteed garlic and spinach. Please use this as my entry photo.

Dang, one more! You guys need to make thicker slices to qualify! Well, I'd be more than happy with these practice steaks! :hungry:

Mods are gonna have a field day giving out all these DQs.

As a word of note, these steaks have been sliced significantly thinner than 1". I expect they all will be DQ'ed, so I'm just giving you all a heads-up that you may want to prepare another entry.

I expect the mods did not inform anyone yet, since this is the clusterfark TD and their goal was to really turn this into a big clusterfark with all these DQs. Sorry mods, if I spoiled your fun.

Show me where it says that the slices have to be 1 inch this and I'll withdraw my entry :tsk:

Show me where it says that the slices have to be 1 inch this and I'll withdraw my entry :tsk:

i'm not seeing that either...even looking at it through my smartypants glasses.

however, i DO see the possibility of green skittles being acceptable as fruit...:rolleyes:

Dang, DUBBAGA and my smartypants glasses both read 1" thick in the description. Dimensions are given as height, length and width, with width being the smallest dimension. When those steaks were sliced, the width became less than 1".

And you're not allowed to withdraw or this cannot be a clusterfark, gheesh.

however, i DO see the possibility of green skittles being acceptable as fruit...:rolleyes:

When going grocery shopping yesterday I bought candied kiwi slices and was considering putting them on the plate as my green component, even though they had no connection to anything

nah, still not feeling it.

the dimension is stipulated in relation to the steak you must cook. there is no specification regarding the slices nor the duration of said dimension.

When going grocery shopping yesterday I bought candied kiwi slices and was considering putting them on the plate as my green component, even though they had no connection to anything

I think those would be ok, but make sure they are big kiwis, because the slices must be bigger than 1" or you'll get another DQ for sure. Of course, it would be something to get 2 DQs in the same contest ... oh, wait, I already did that. :tsk:

I think those would be ok, but make sure they are big kiwis, because the slices must be bigger than 1" or you'll get another DQ for sure. Of course, it would be something to get 2 DQs in the same contest ... oh, wait, I already did that. :tsk:

Cool... I want this to go with Elmo

blogger-image-1731551724.jpg

Dang, DUBBAGA and my smartypants glasses both read 1" thick in the description. Dimensions are given as height, length and width, with width being the smallest dimension. When those steaks were sliced, the width became less than 1".

And you're not allowed to withdraw or this cannot be a clusterfark, gheesh.

I just made a decision... I'm done with the throwdowns. It's all yours, Gore!

1" refers only to the thickness of the selected steak, pre-cook. Period. No DQ's will be issued on the 1" basis if they comply with a pre-cook thickness measurement of "approx 1in thick or thicker".

If you are here to just stir the pot, there is another thread for that.

Back