Discussion Thread -> **Special**"2016 Ribeye Master!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS ALL MONTH!

Here's my official entry

Please accept this as my entry to the "2016 Ribeye Master" TD:

The whole cook thread is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236788

I cooked a tomahawk ribeye that was on sale at my local Safeway...all 5 pounds of it. I seasoned it, tied it down with rosemary, cold-smoked it on my stickburner, and then slow-grilled it and basted it with bone marrow to a finish on my santa maria grill. The following are the requisite photos for this TD:

Raw, tied and seasoned:

K8KDYJth.jpg

About halfway done on the santa maria with the marrow bones:

5G6b6CGh.jpg

Finished ribeye steak with a perfect bone-marrow "fried" crust:

ftrfewyh.jpg

Please note that the bones in this pic are not "sides", as they are not edible. All the bone-marrow was used to baste the steak as it cooked, and I only used the empty bones to support the steak on the cutting board for presentation and slicing.

For your imagination, the complete meal included sautéed broccolini, my wife's signature mac & cheese, and a few bottles of big and bold Napa cabernet. The only thing left was a 15-inch long boomerang of a bone that my dog now plays fetch with.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hard to say, Enrico.. My Italian is not so good. From this pic -

I would say that is not a full ribeye, as there is no cap, and the size is more similar to an eye of ribeye than a full cut. Let's see what moose says, but I do not think that steak fits the requirement.

Hard to say, Enrico.. My Italian is not so good. From this pic -

https://flic.kr/p/Mq1LXr

I would say that is not a full ribeye, as there is no cap, and the size is more similar to an eye of ribeye than a full cut. Let's see what moose says, but I do not think that steak fits the requirement.

My Italian isn't so good either, but google 'tomahawk di scottona' and check out all the images....looks like that's Italian for ribeye to me!

It was the first thing I did. The pictures were all over the place. I could not find a translation of scottona anywhere. As I said before, judging by the actual appearance and size of the steak, it looks like an eye, not a full ribeye with cap, and if that's the case it wouldn't qualify. BUT, let's hear from the moose!

I'd say that a good looking hunk of meat like that with a bone hanging off it in that configuration is indeed a ribeye. Re-reading the TD rules, it just says ribeye bone or no bone...in my mind that leaves some room for thoughtful interpretation in terms of the final cooked presentation...as long as the starting raw protein is a ribeye. So by extension, if the final cooked presentation is simply required to feature any portion of the protein (sliced chicken breast pieces comes to mind), then it follows that the starting format of the raw protein could be just a portion of the full cut too...again, as long as it is determined that it is indeed the required protein.

I'd say that a good looking hunk of meat like that with a bone hanging off it in that configuration is indeed a ribeye. Re-reading the TD rules, it just says ribeye bone or no bone...in my mind that leaves some room for thoughtful interpretation in terms of the final cooked presentation...as long as the starting raw protein is a ribeye. So by extension, if the final cooked presentation is simply required to feature any portion of the protein (sliced chicken breast pieces comes to mind), then it follows that the starting format of the raw protein could be just a portion of the full cut too...again, as long as it is determined that it is indeed the required protein.

Funny you say that.. Moose and I had discussed changing the wording to read whole ribeye, but looking back now I see that change wasn't made, in which case Enrico should be good to go, pending Moose's opinion of course..

Just tying to educate myself a little with this question. So, are you saying that if you had worded the challenge to say "whole ribeye" that none of the "tomahawk ribeyes" would qualify? I'm in what is probably a fairly large group of people that aren't experts in the details of different versions of certain cuts of meat. Thanks!

A tomahawk (in the US anyway) is usually a full ribeye with a bone in it. The problem is we don't speak (or read) Italian. I have no idea what a tomahawk di scottona is. If Enrico knows it as a ribeye, why would he ask if he can use it? The size is pretty small for a tomahawk by american standards, and the cut, at least as little as I can see through the packaging, does not have the general appearance of a "full" ribeye.

Back to your initial question-
This would constitute a whole ribeye. Containing both the cap and eye. Bone (as in a tomahawk,) is optional. Based on the size it looks like it could be an eye with a bone on it (cap removed) but its really hard to see it in the package..

Some places like Costco and Snake river farms separate their ribeyes and sell just caps and just eyes. We wanted to try to focus on the full cut as pictured above, but it looks like a steak made from a part of the ribeye is also accepted.

Let's talk about ribeyes, shall we?

****Moderator's Note*****

I think depending on where the cut is made from the rib roast, there may be little cap, and mostly eye. You can see this clearly in one of Tom B's steaks. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not a ribeye.

That said, let's stick as closely as possible to what is commonly defined as ribeye, either boneless or bone in. Enrico's steak seems OK(Though we won't be sure till we get to see it out the package), but if someone submitted either a stand alone cap of ribeye, or a stand alone eye of ribeye, then it's too far away from the commonly accepted definition of what a beef ribeye steak is.

Picked up a couple Prime Ribeyes just for this TD, then remembered that this is one of those charcoal or wood only TD's. :doh:

Oh well, I sure they will taste fine along with the crab stuffed mushrooms I am going to try.

Back