THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's my ENTRY to the throwdown. Cook thread is Here

Mushroom & Cheddar stuffed bacon burger!
20160716_170947_zps34vuzv2j.jpg
Damn I like the looks of that!

Please accept this photo as my entry.(sorry, didn't document the whole cook) On the left is a traditional double cheese burger with bacon, caramelized onions, homemade big mac sauce, tomato, and lettuce. On the right is a muenster stuffed burger with chopped bacon in the burger, bacon wrapped onion ring, big mac sauce, lettuce, and tomato.
Both on a toasted Hawaiian sweet roll. All of it cooked on the Kettle.

Please accept this as my official entry into the burger blowout TD:
Yellow-tail Tuna/shrimp burger with Gorgonzola, jalapeno, kalmata olives, fresh herbs. Served on a bed of avocado, tomato, cucumber jalapeno Aioli spread, and topped with a citrus slaw.

If interested here is the cook thread and ingredients,

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233033

Mrs B

I definitely need to work on my photo taking abilities. I'm pretty sure I'm gettin a zero after seeing some of these.

I definitely need to work on my photo taking abilities. I'm pretty sure I'm gettin a zero after seeing some of these.

Yeah, I personally think that is the flaw to the throwdowns but I have seen some ugly pictures win a couple. The quality of the picture shouldn't matter at all if the food looks good. I mean I bet there's people on here that do regular throwdown that has thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment. Tripods, and the whole 9 yards! Main reason why I don't enter them every week. I'm not good at taking pictures, I pretty much just enter throwdowns by chance I cook something that there's a throwdown going for it.

Yeah, I personally think that is the flaw to the throwdowns but I have seen some ugly pictures win a couple. The quality of the picture shouldn't matter at all if the food looks good. I mean I bet there's people on here that do regular throwdown that has thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment. Tripods, and the whole 9 yards! Main reason why I don't enter them every week. I'm not good at taking pictures, I pretty much just enter throwdowns by chance I cook something that there's a throwdown going for it.

This is kind of along the lines I was thinking. Are Throwdowns a photo contest, or a food contest? If it's food, are we supposed to judge by creativity of cook or presentation of food?
Or put another way..... How do you, as the voter, judge by?

Breakfast monster burger

I created a monster.

So I like to have a traditional Irish fry every other weekend. For those that don't know it generally consists of sausages, rashers (bacon), pudding and eggs.

So rather than put together a normal burger, I tried to concoct a breakfast burger!

Ingredients:
20160716_093426_zps5pfh8u82.jpg

If you can't make it out Ingredients are as follows: Rib eye steak mince, Pork mince, White pudding, Streaky rashers, eggs, Ballymaloe Relish (Absolute key) & premade pancakes.

So this all worked as follows.

I made a burger shape around the white pudding disc, cut out around the shape and replaced the beef mince with pork mince, then I built up the walls of the burger with mince, before inserting the white pudding back in. I wrapped it in streaky back bacon.

On the grill:
20160716_111308_zpsnr3mwxwl.jpg

When it was cooked to 170f, it came off, I fried an egg and placed it on top of the burger which was held by two lightly toasted pancakes with Ballymaloe relish lathered on.

The dog couldn't wait to get her paws on it:
20160716_112542_zpsespz6dn8.jpg

Sectional view:
IMG-20160716-WA0009_zpsrnkvef8a.jpeg

I got about halfway through before admitting defeat!

The Buffalo Buffalo Burger

[FONT=&quot]This is my entry into the “2106 July Burger Blowout!” Throwdown.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233713[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Having already made some nice Cheeseburgers yesterday I decided to try something a little more outside the box. There is a Burger restaurant near us called Slaters 50/50 that serves a burger called the Buffalo Buffalo Burger. Here’s a description: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The tangy stack features seasoned ground bison (aka the American buffalo) nestled on a bed of shredded celery and carrots. All that's topped buffalo sauce-infused sharp cheddar cheese, grilled onions and jalepeños, and then smothered with housemade buttermilk ranch and Frank's RedHot dressing”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I decided to try to recreate it here. First I bought some ground Bison meat at Costco. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I mixed in some onion and some blue-cheese into the meat. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]To speed things along I placed a chimney of charcoal on my side burner. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Once the charcoal was ready I poured it into the charcoal baskets in my Weber OTS. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I placed my Camp Chef griddle over the coals and waited for it to get screaming hot. I then place 4 meat balls on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They started sizzling in no time. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I smashed them and then flipped them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While they were cooking I made up some Crystal Hot Sauce Mayo. When they were done I assembled my burger. First was the Crystal Mayo on bot top and bottom haves of the bun. Then some thinly sliced carrot and celery. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Next the burger, 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese and some thinly sliced jalapeno.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And finally some pickled red onion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here it is plated up with a slice of watermelon and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please use the picture below as my polling photo.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The crunch of the carrot and celery going with the heat of the mayo and jalapeno with the savory buffalo meat and cheese and the sour of the pickled onion. Mmmm![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best burger ever![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

This is kind of along the lines I was thinking. Are Throwdowns a photo contest, or a food contest? If it's food, are we supposed to judge by creativity of cook or presentation of food?
Or put another way..... How do you, as the voter, judge by?

It is about the entry, not the photo. I have never used anything more than my cellphone to take the photos I use.
I enjoy cooking, if one of my entries wins, great, if not, no big deal, cause i got to eat!

I judge based on how likely I am to drool reading about how the entry was composed and cooked,. not by how high of quality the photo is.

:hungry:

OK, folks, that's a wrap - great entries, everyone! Poll coming shortly...

It is about the entry, not the photo. I have never used anything more than my cellphone to take the photos I use.
I enjoy cooking, if one of my entries wins, great, if not, no big deal, cause i got to eat!

I judge based on how likely I am to drool reading about how the entry was composed and cooked,. not by how high of quality the photo is.

:hungry:
Here, Here!!

Now obviously a good photo can’t hurt and a bad photo may hurt, but ultimately it’s about the food.

How you judge is completely up to you. Here’s a couple things to consider.

1. Ask yourself “Which entry would you go to first, if they were all placed in front of me?”

2. Which one was the most creativity or innovative.

3. Which one makes the best use of the theme of the entry topic. (Ingredients, technique, etc.)

4. Some may judge based on whether they learned something from the entry.

5. Which is presented in the most visually stunning way.

Any of the above, or whatever criteria you deem important, would be perfectly acceptable. Generally I look at them and think about #1 the most. Then I use 2-5 as tiebreakers.

Seeing as this is an internet forum, the entries are visual, so the photograph does play a role in the entries chances of winning. It doesn’t have to a professional grade photo but help us taste your entry with our eyes. Search for some of the photography threads and you’ll get some easy to do tips on how to improve your entry photos. (Remember lighting and composition cost little to nothing)

So now that we’ve talked about criteria you’ll use for voting let’s talk about voting in general.

I personally do not vote for my own entry. It just feels a little strange to me. (I did it once and decided I’m not going to do it again) If you really want to vote for yourself there isn’t a rule against it. I will say that if you win a Throwndown, without voting for yourself, it feels much more like an accomplishment.

I also don’t ask others to vote for me. If my entry warrants votes they will come on their own without me campaigning / lobbying / soliciting for them. I especially don’t sign up people I know, just so they can vote for me. That is not what these things are for.

Above all, treat the other members and their entries as you would like yourself, and your entry, to be treated.

Last edited:
rufio, is this an official entry? If so, please let me know which picture you want as your entry photo.

I created a monster.

So I like to have a traditional Irish fry every other weekend. For those that don't know it generally consists of sausages, rashers (bacon), pudding and eggs.

So rather than put together a normal burger, I tried to concoct a breakfast burger!

Ingredients:
20160716_093426_zps5pfh8u82.jpg

If you can't make it out Ingredients are as follows: Rib eye steak mince, Pork mince, White pudding, Streaky rashers, eggs, Ballymaloe Relish (Absolute key) & premade pancakes.

So this all worked as follows.

I made a burger shape around the white pudding disc, cut out around the shape and replaced the beef mince with pork mince, then I built up the walls of the burger with mince, before inserting the white pudding back in. I wrapped it in streaky back bacon.

On the grill:
20160716_111308_zpsnr3mwxwl.jpg

When it was cooked to 170f, it came off, I fried an egg and placed it on top of the burger which was held by two lightly toasted pancakes with Ballymaloe relish lathered on.

The dog couldn't wait to get her paws on it:
20160716_112542_zpsespz6dn8.jpg

Sectional view:
IMG-20160716-WA0009_zpsrnkvef8a.jpeg

I got about halfway through before admitting defeat!

Any entry I post is because I have to cook something anyways, to eat. I do my best to make something I want to eat, or serve to someone else, and I'm proud of what I've done.
At the worst, you get Dilly bar-free ice cream!

Here, Here!!

Now obviously a good photo can’t hurt and a bad photo may hurt, but ultimately it’s about the food.

How you judge is completely up to you. Here’s a couple things to consider.

1. Ask yourself “Which enter would go to first, if they were all placed in front of me?”

2. Which one was the most creativity or innovative.

3. Which one makes the best use of the theme of the entry topic. (Ingredients, technique, etc.)

4. Some may judge based on whether they learned something from the entry.

5. Which is presented in the most visually stunning way.

Any of the above, or whatever criteria you deem important, would be perfectly acceptable. Generally I look at them and think about #1 the most. Then I use 2-5 as tiebreakers.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Seeing as this is an internet forum, the entries are visual, so the photograph does play a role in the entries chances of winning. It doesn’t have to a professional grade photo but help us taste your entry with our eyes. Search for some of the photography threads and you’ll get some easy to do tips on how to improve your entry photos. (Remember lighting and composition cost little to nothing)

So now that we’ve talked about criteria you’ll use for voting let’s talk about voting in general.

I personally do not vote for my own entry. It just feels a little strange to me. (I did it once and decided I’m not going to do it again) If you really want to vote for yourself there isn’t a rule against it. I will say that if you win a Throwndown, without voting for yourself, it feels much more like an accomplishment.

I also don’t ask others to vote for me. If my entry warrants votes they will come on their own without me campaigning / lobbying / soliciting for them. I especially don’t sign up people I know, just so they can vote for me. That is not what these things are for.

Above all, treat the other members and their entries as you would like yourself, and your entry, to be treated.

This pretty much sums it up nicely! This is all in good fun. The mods here are excellent at keeping things fair as well. I love th TDs and wish I can enter more than I do. I will keep trying!

Back