Dipped my toe in competition

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Up to this point I have only cooked in my driveway backyard style. I saw an ad on Facebook 2 weeks ago for a friendly neighborhood competition for the neighborhood next to me and I thought I would just use it as an excuse to drag out the trailer to go cook somewhere besides the driveway. There was only about 15 "teams". On Saturday there some family events, a little petting zoo for kids, face painting, breweries giving out samples, cornhole tournament. etc and the public showed up.

Long story short this was a "fun family neighborhood contest" not a sanctioned one. I don't think (unsure) the 5 judges were trained. So I don't know what I'm supposed to be cooking Backyard salt and pepper? Competition candy ribs? I have no idea, so I tried to do a sort of hybrid. Only one trained head judge that I'm aware of. Meats were brisket and ribs. I had fun and learned a lot, but not sure what to think. Turn is was 9 slices of brisket and 9 ribs (strange number, even KCBS does not do that many I dont think?. I don't know how you can fit 9 ribs in a box and have good presentation. I did my best.

Lessons:

1) Staying awake for 28 hours and cooking is tough. I don't see how anyone can do KCBS going solo. Even doing smaller 3 meat events might be tough. Turn in time for brisket was 4 PM. I was hallucinating by that time. During turn in I'm cutting brisket and making my box. I hear someone yell "two minutes". I panic and turn in a sloppy box. Turns out it was actually "ten minutes". If you're solo, you need a clock you can watch.

2) Drunks like to talk too much. My back and ankles are sore today from standing for hours talking to drunks. If I do a sanctioned event, I'm putting walls on my tent.

3) Pre trimming a brisket in the comfort of your kitchen and AC without drunks wanting to talk would be so much easier and will for sure do that if I do an official event.

4) No matter how much stuff you bring, you will forget something. I forgot cutting boards..lol...so luckily I had brought a box of heavy duty construction clean up garbage bags and duct tape (why?). So I McGyver'd my table and taped down a fresh construction bag each time and used the table. It actually worked out pretty well. I also forgot mustard so my seasoning did not stick as nice as I would have liked. Is what it is.

5) You can never have too many paper towels.

Conclusion: Lots of conflicting results and information. I thought my ribs were decent, looked OK, I was proud of the bite through. I though I nailed that pretty good. After turn in I stood at my tent and offered leftover samples. Nobody really into them at all. OK, whatever I may have candied them a bit much for the public's taste. Result was 6th. OK I will take that out of 15. But I only placed two spots ahead of the guy next to me who's were were terrible looking, mushy, severe fall off the bone, with a heavy coating of something that burned your mouth. Who's judging this? Applebees customers?

Brisket. I cooked backyard brisket like I would in my driveway. Thats all I know so that's what I cooked. After I turned in my brisket box I made a small plateful of sample up into cubes, put toothpicks in them and stood at my tent and offered samples like I did with ribs. I wanted to get some feedback from people that's not family or friends (they will all lie). I quickly got overwhelmed with requests for samples. It was not 2 or 3 minutes before word seemed to spread and there was a line of people wanting samples. I went from standing there begging to take a sample, to cutting samples to people lining up faster than I could cut them. People were going crazy and wanting more and more, bringing more people over, multiple people said "OMG this is the best one hands down!" they would leave and come back with more people, Some were asking me to tell them how I cooked it, two or three different people told me the same thing "You and the guy at the end down by the dumpster have the most tender and best by far!". One lady took 3 samples, then came back with her own plate wanting 8 more.
Feedback was all the same..."the best", and a couple people said occasional "You and the guy down by the dumpster hands down have the best".

So I'm thinking "Holy crap, my brisket must be really good and all that driveway cooking is going to pay off!" Result...8th. WHAT??? I just had a LINE of people in a frenzy for my brisket SAYING "NOM..NOM..NOM...OMG THIS IS HANDS DOWN....NOM NOM... BY FAR THE BEST ONE HERE!" What's this 8th crap??

Well that was a kick the nuts. I have a line of people tell me it's by far the best there, and I get 8th out of 15? I dunno. I guess the judges and not looking for backyard brisket, but they were not looking for competition-ish type candy ribs either, so? I dont know.

Anyways, I had fun. I may do some sanctioned BBQ cookoffs in the future but just do for fun and an excuse to get out and cook some place other than the driveway, and not care about the competition aspect of it. I don't think going down the rabbit hole of serious competition BBQ is for me.

2drypev.jpg

erlok9.jpg

Update:

Here's the WINNING ribs. I'm not a comp guy and don't know. Not only did I get beat, I got beat badly by this. I'm also not a judge, but I am confused.

2uqy9fb.png

Did you have fun and were you happy with the food that you turned in?

If you answered yes to both of those then I would call it a good day!

For ribs, KCBS is a minimum of 6. My normal box is 9 because I like the look of a full box. Your ribs look good! The cuts are a bit uneven, and I do 5 on the bottom and 4 on top. They fit better.

The brisket looks dry in the picture. Giving it a brush of au jus or even a spritz of water would make it look better.

As gar as the people loving it and ending up 8th, it happens way too often. We still laugh about a competition where we won the People Choice pork but were middle of the pack in the judging.

So, when is the next one? :-D

Some good tips there.

The clock is one I learned from my first comp (and synchronize it with the judges/coordinator).

For drunks you could put up a tarp/wall. Wear dark glasses and put some headphones on. Another thing is learn some kind of obscure conversational language (a few smiling phrases in a Slavic/Nordic dialect will do the trick). If people think they can't talk to you...then they won't.

As far as your results...honestly don't be discouraged. I will suggest though, stick with something that has some sort of certified judging. KCBS, State BBQ Association....whatever. That will weed out the "Applebees rib fanatics." Your ribs look great (a lot better than the winning ribs).

One thing I would suggest practicing: boxes. Whenever you make Q at home, make a box. We spend so much time perfecting the Q we make, that when it comes time to box, it can get wacky in a hurry. I found this out at my first rib competition last year. I took 7th out of 22 in a "no garnish" contest. If I would have practiced a few times, there is no doubt I would have been in the top 2-3. We got our score cards back and I nailed 8's and 9's from all the judges (including a triple 9). We also got a printout of the total points and the difference between 1st and 7th was just a few points. Long story short...get a bunch of white trays and practice making them look good (garnish or not). Hell...if you make a box or two with garnish the next time you cook, take it to a neighbor and share!

Lessons:

1) Staying awake for 28 hours and cooking is tough. I don't see how anyone can do KCBS going solo....

4) No matter how much stuff you bring, you will forget something...

5) You can never have too many paper towels.

1) I do most of my comps solo (no trailer, so I basically load and unload twice in two days), and I learned real quick that all nighters gotta go. It was fun at first and when I was doing backyard comps, but I adjusted my pork and brisket real quick once I hit pro. Ain't nobody got time for that.

4) I forgot my sauce once... AND I OWN A FRICKEN BBQ SAUCE LINE. So yeah, it happens. :doh:

5) Correct :heh:

This. Or, if you must stick with low and slow, get a guru, fireboard, something to monitor temps while you get some sleep!

I run an offset. I don't really do "low and slow". I do 250 till the wrap then turn it up to 275-300. I did a 17 pounder but it still took 12 hours.

I run an offset. I don't really do "low and slow". I do 250 till the wrap then turn it up to 275-300. I did a 17 pounder but it still took 12 hours.

Separating the flat and point would cut down that cook time to like 7 hours or less at those temps.

As long as you had fun competing and BTW...your ribs look way better than the winner. People like their ribs fall off the bone and sweet.

That's competition cooking for you! The winning rib box was garnished.. maybe they got a lot of points for that?

That's competition cooking for you! The winning rib box was garnished.. maybe they got a lot of points for that?

Either that or they tasted so much better that the appearance difference didn't matter. I don't know the scoring system used and if things were weighted.

Back