Did Not Know I Was Paying For Rocks

First, if you weigh a bag of lump, you will find they are usually a good bit heavier than the label which offsets the occasional hunk of non-charcoal that gets in there.

Also, burn 20 lbs of lump and 20 lbs of briquettes and then weigh the ashes. All that extra weight from the briquettes is crushed rocks and dirt. They disguise it much better so that allows them to put that much more into each bag. Yum!

Oh my,,really ??

no regulations on that sort of stuff ??

was thinking of supplementing my wood burns with briquettes or lump to save time on tending the fire..

now i think i will spend the time needed,,,beer helps pass the time :)

Looks like a chunk of concrete that could become several small pieces of concrete if exposed to high heat. Maybe some shrapnel.

First, if you weigh a bag of lump, you will find they are usually a good bit heavier than the label which offsets the occasional hunk of non-charcoal that gets in there.

Also, burn 20 lbs of lump and 20 lbs of briquettes and then weigh the ashes. All that extra weight from the briquettes is crushed rocks and dirt. They disguise it much better so that allows them to put that much more into each bag. Yum!

I dont if there are rocks in charcoal but i know lump to charcoal weight comparisons don't work. 20 lbs of lump also has a greater volume. A better comparison is how mony hours of cook time in said cooker will 20 lbs of lump vs charcoal give. Volume is better than weight for comparing purchase price too.

I have voiced my opinion a couple of times before on other threads but here I go again. I can't resist. I only BBQ and grill with lump or raw wood. So I am biased. I think it produces a better end product with a better flavor. It also burns longer, hotter and more completely. I can't stand Cowboy brand. And I don't care much for RO. But I use it from time to time in a pinch. It's not that it sucks, but there's a lot better out there.

My preference is Lazzari brand. It's all mesquite. I know some folks think mesquite is too harsh but as a lump it's very mellow. What I like the about it is you never get non wood in the bag with the exception of the very rare rock. Not more than an ounce or two. There is no lumber or trash. The bags have a lot of large/bigger stick in them and there is very little that is too small to use. And the price is amazing. $14.50 for 40lbs. I only had one really odd bag once, the majority was one massive log. But it was more funny than annoying. Just split it twice and used it in the stick burner. I made a post about that "log" here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220947

I know one thing is that I do not get pieces of rock in my charcoal because I push any ash through my grate when it is burn out into my ash pan . that chunk I got I slammed it on my concrete floor and it did not even break up .

I've found a lot more rocks and other debris in Cowboy lump than I run into with Royal Oak. I tried the U.S. produced (check the label) Western brand lump most recently and am impressed with the first bag. Some pieces are huge, but no rocks so far and not at much dust & tiny pieces that fall through the charcoal grate.

I dont if there are rocks in charcoal but i know lump to charcoal weight comparisons don't work. 20 lbs of lump also has a greater volume. A better comparison is how mony hours of cook time in said cooker will 20 lbs of lump vs charcoal give. Volume is better than weight for comparing purchase price too.

The point was to illustrate what percentage (by weight) of the product is wood vs rock/lime/dirt.

I've found a rock in every brand of lump I've used. Not every time/bag, but it happens. Never had more than 1, maybe 2 at the most.

I seem to find a bit f concrete the size of a golf ball in my royal oak lump In each bag. Never really bothered me. I don't find it until I go to empty out the ash pan and basket.

I too think it's a conspiracy! I have found at least one rock in EVERY bag of R.O. Lump. I didn't really think about it until I saw another post about it a while back...

I don't know if it is regulated or not, but they don't really hide it. The lime is even a "feature".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RjFNAKugkv0

thanks for posting that video and did not realize there was lime in briquettes too , I have used wood only for many years and charcoal and lump charcoal is kind of a new thing to me except doing a quick grilling of a hamburger .

It also depends on where they source their wood from. Some lump comes from scrap wood, which can have other debris mixed in..

Grove is very good would like a good source as I live in door county wi

I get mine at Sendiks, not sure if you have those up in door county. Ive also found it at a local large discount liquor store.

The stuff is from Cedar grove,wi. It has been my favorite to date. Not sure if its made here or brought in from elsewhere though.

Oh my,,really ??

no regulations on that sort of stuff ??

was thinking of supplementing my wood burns with briquettes or lump to save time on tending the fire..

now i think i will spend the time needed,,,beer helps pass the time :)

Im not sure how regulated the end product or ingredients for briquettes. But then again, neither is the wood we use to cook with. Plenty of the wood splits Ive used could be viewed as "nasty", and tend to go into a reject pile. Ive found nails in my firebox after using only wood. I tend to be selective with the wood I'll throw in the smoker (probably over selective), so there is going to be loss with that as well.

royal oak has been leaving prizes in there bags as far back as i can remember. Probably close to 15 years.. at one time they were notorious for chunks of fiberglass insulation. Rocks and concrete were often found, as was pieces of lumber. i just chalk it up to the process they use.

Back