Did I just shoot my self in the foot on Brisket?

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Just went shopping for my first comp coming up this weekend. I went to GFS (gordon food service) to get a brisket, this is where I have been getting all my practice briskets. The quality has always been good, they are choice briskets from Excel and they have whole packers. Unfortunately, they only had 2 and neither looked great so I decided to shop around, btw they were $3.79/lb.

Then I went to Walmart (not to excited about it but....) they had the same choice Excel brand and a much better selection for $2.97/lb so I got a nice 15 pounder.

When I stopped at Sam's (next door to Wally World)to get the rest of my meat, they only had flats (but they are Angus) for $5.79 /lb.

So, did I shoot myself in the foot buying the Walmart version?

Has anyone else used Wally World Brisky for comps?

Does Angus usually sell for $2 more a pound?

How can Sam's sponsor a BBQ comp and not sell whole packers? (I've asked several times and was told they can't even order whole packers at this location)

You will do fine, if you can cook :razz:

Many folks cook WalMart briskets and get good results. Worry more about the cook at this point.

Yes, CAB does go for more, how much more varies.

I would think as long as what you've been using is choice excel and what you got from Sam's is choice excel, I don't know what the problem would be. I'd definitely rather have a whole packer than just a flat if it came down to it.

My Sam's doesn't carry packers either, but I know some of them do.

You should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The cost difference is due to flats being more expensive per lbs than packers.

I've used a Wally World brisket in my first comp and I use them for practice too. I didn't finish last but brisket is not my strongest category. I would use one again but only if I had no other options.

The Sam's Clubs around here sell whole packers but they only put flats out in the case. You have to ask the meat cutters for whole packers, but they always have em.

If you can cook a brisket, you can do fine with any brisket, IMO.

Probably came from the same plant as the flats at Sam's. Our local Wal-marts only have Select packers, Sam's has Choice. As long as you got a 'good' one, you will be fine. Wish I knew a foolproof way to pick that 'good' one. There is nothing special about Angus, but most CAB programs require them to be upper sub-grades of Choice. I would also at least open the cryo before you head to the comp. There can be packer slashed that render the flat useless for comp and you cannot tell until you open it.

If you shop hard enough at Walmart, you can find good briskets. I found this 14.75lb gem 2 weeks ago. It's now on day 15 of wet aging and taking it to comp next weekend.

Picked up a Walmart excel choice last month for an IBCA contest that wanted a cooked brisket for community supper after the contest. Won me money! It was only $2.38 a pound too.

I don't think so. I picked up a packer at our local SaveMart here is Sac. When my BBQ mentor came by, he stated that it was one of the ugliest brisket he had seen. That being said, once he tasted the meat, he and I were very happy with the results. So like others have said...

Many folks cook WalMart briskets and get good results. Worry more about the cook at this point.

Picked up a Walmart excel choice last month for an IBCA contest that wanted a cooked brisket for community supper after the contest. Won me money!

Good luck with everything!

I was in a pinch last weekend, only place open was Walmart so I picked up a choice excel. It was one of the best briskets I've ever made and I've made a lot. So as others have said, if you know how to cook a brisket you will be fine.

Troy there is a Restaurant Depot in Milwaukee on 6th street near the airport, they usually have a decent selection. Good luck this weekend!

Probably came from the same plant as the flats at Sam's. Our local Wal-marts only have Select packers, Sam's has Choice. As long as you got a 'good' one, you will be fine. Wish I knew a foolproof way to pick that 'good' one. There is nothing special about Angus, but most CAB programs require them to be upper sub-grades of Choice. I would also at least open the cryo before you head to the comp. There can be packer slashed that render the flat useless for comp and you cannot tell until you open it.

Yep, "trimfest" starts tomorrow, then travel on Friday.

The best advice I ever got regarding meat is "meat is pretty much the same, it is what the cook does to it that puts it in the money" **quoted from Johnny Trigg** Another is that "I usually cook the meat that other cooks would throw away, Also stated by Johnny Trigg. With that being said, I am not one to spend excessive money on meat. I cook choice cuts. It is my style and flavor profiles that put me in the money or not.........alcohol consumption has noting to do with it ;)

I am pretty sure you wont be the only one cooking Walmart brisket this weekend. Madison Sams doesn't sell packers either . In the past we have done decent with Wallyworld brisket .It isn't my preference but I live in a BBQ desert so we take what we can get. If you find your self short on anything this weekend let me know we are close to home so if I don't have it with I could run home to get it .

Back