Costco Prime Brisket

Here is the flat, literally, the flat extends from end to end. The interface between the point and flat, is nearly the entire brisket. Which I hope, will help keep the flat moist.

So we are four hours in, time to wrap. This brisket feels different than my last. This one felt much more gelatinous than the Select I smoked last. It wiggled as I dropped it onto the tray for wrapping...

I also had to bite the end of the fingertips on my BBQ gloves, because they were too slippery to pull off. Oh lawd... that flavor.

A Prime grade is going to have more fat. That is what makes it special. As said, the smaller ones will give a better yield, I shoot for 14-15lb full packers. That said, I prefer having the fat there to self baste and don't trim too much. That big layer of fat is very easy to remove after cooking as well, and if you give your guests a knife and fork, they can trim their slices to their personal desires.

Still think it is an amazing deal at Costco. Most times I am paying around $2.89 a pound for PRIME! Can afford to lose a bit extra at that price, although I have never noticed 40%...

Thats insane. If i was you, i would start pricing beef short ribs or beef back ribs. Ask anyone on this site which they prefer taste/texture wise. And lets assume select/choice brisket or short rib. Most would say short rib. I think the only reason brisket is so popular is due to guys in places like Texas getting prime for $3-$4/lb.

The cost of short ribs is crazy.... I'll buy brisket before the short ribs. Lol....

The cost of short ribs is crazy.... I'll buy brisket before the short ribs. Lol....

Man, it must really suck to buy meat in your area. In my area a good price is usually $2.69/lb for beef bacj ribs and $5.99/lb for choice grade short ribs.

If i was forced to live in your area i would probably stick to pork butts.

I'm stepping away from brisket for a bit... I was not pleased. The point, was perfect, even my kids gobbled it up.

The flat, was tough and somewhat dry.

I'm just not getting it, and it's expensive to practice. Ribs and butts in the coming weeks. The brisket is going into chili

Separate them and cook individually to the appropriate temp. What temps did you pull at? Did it pass the probe test?

I think it was, the connective tissue was still there. I don't cook to a temp, I probed it, and it seemed pretty damned tender with the probe... but after the two hour rest, it was clear I was mistaken.

My last brisket was a SELECT, and maybe a smidge over cooked, but it was so much better.

I have three Prime packers (18, 18, 17 pounds) in the fridge now for a friend's son's graduation party on 06/03. The friend said I make the best brisket she's ever tasted. Quite the compliment, but I said she needed to try more briskets. :mrgreen:

I bought them at HEB for $2.99 a pound. I accidentally punctured one of the Cryo wraps and had to reseal. My biggest bags are the gallon size, so I had to trim prior to being able to get it in the bag. Didn't weigh it, but probably lost about 4 pounds, most of it coming from in between the flat and the point. I consider this normal for Primes.

I normally like between 16 to 18 pounders, just based off I usually know how much I will get out of them. If I was to go smaller so that there might be less fat, I would need a fourth brisket. Not really sure I would save that much...

I got asked this morning to make three more briskets for a party this Sunday. Running out of space in the fridge. Going to have to buy today and put them in a cooler with a lot of ice. Actually, I'll probably put those for next weekend in the cooler and those for this weekend in the fridge. Won't hurt for those to refreeze a little for a couple days. They'll thaw when I move them back.

I started another thread yesterday. Had a GFS Choice brisket from their latest sale in the fridge. 13.25lbs, trimmed to 11.25lbs. A very nice packer. Remember, this 18+lb brisket trimmed down to 11lbs!

Anyway... I used Bludawgs method again, and it was perfect. Photos in the other thread... but the point I was almost unable to cube, it was like jello. The flat was perfectly tender, melt in your mouth, dripping with juices.

Thanks to all those who helped on this forum... I'm so proud to have turned out a great brisket!

I started another thread yesterday. Had a GFS Choice brisket from their latest sale in the fridge. 13.25lbs, trimmed to 11.25lbs. A very nice packer. Remember, this 18+lb brisket trimmed down to 11lbs!

Anyway... I used Bludawgs method again, and it was perfect. Photos in the other thread... but the point I was almost unable to cube, it was like jello. The flat was perfectly tender, melt in your mouth, dripping with juices.

Thanks to all those who helped on this forum... I'm so proud to have turned out a great brisket!

Condolences on your prime. Ive only cooked costco primes (ever), and still find it challenging at time to know when the flat is done. Youve got me curious on getting a select just for comparison.

Regarding the fat to meat ratio, I usually end up trimming at least a few pounds off a costco prime. However, I recommend putting that fat into a disposable alum pan, and rendering it out. I keep the melted fat, put it in a jar, and use it to fry eggs or other things. I heard you can make some mean french fries cooked in beef fat.

Condolences on your prime. Ive only cooked costco primes (ever), and still find it challenging at time to know when the flat is done. Youve got me curious on getting a select just for comparison.

Regarding the fat to meat ratio, I usually end up trimming at least a few pounds off a costco prime. However, I recommend putting that fat into a disposable alum pan, and rendering it out. I keep the melted fat, put it in a jar, and use it to fry eggs or other things. I heard you can make some mean french fries cooked in beef fat.

mcdonalds once used beef fat to cook fries.

I do think that I undercooked the Prime... my biggest issue, after smoking an epic Choice packer from GFS, is that I trimmed off 7 pounds!

The Costco packer cost me $4.34/lb after trimming
The GFS cost was $2.81/lb after trimming

7 pounds, is almost a small full packer!

I take my brisket fat trimmings and go to the local meat market to buy whatever lean cut I can get cheapest. Typically some round or sirloin; or even better yet, both. Use the meat grinder and make some epic hamburger.

I'll typically do it up at like a 70/30 ratio too. Makes the best burgers...fatty and juicy.

Back