"Cooked with Booze" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, April 10th!!

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Cooked with Booze!"

picture.php

This was caseydog's entry in the 2012 "SPECIAL - Cooked with Booze" Throwdown, a Cheesesteak Burger with Jim Beam Onions and Mushrooms! You can read all about it HERE.

As chosen by R2Egg2Q for winning the "Dark Meat" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

R2Egg2Q said:
Are we due for another "Cooked with Booze" Throwdown? I think it's been just over 2 years since the last one. You must use an alcoholic beverage as an ingredient in your cook, not just as something in the background of your entry picture.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 3/24 through Monday 4/10.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 4/10.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Our official prize sponsor for Q1 is Big Poppa Smokers who is awarding Throwdown winners a $40 Store credit - click here for details!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was debating putting in a smart ass comment for all you farkers as I just knew someone would ask. :p While an alcoholic aperitif is always appropriate when grilling/smoking a throwdown entry, in this case the alcohol actually has to make it into the dish as an ingredient as well.

I put beer in my chili, does that count?

Sure, as long as the chili or a major ingredient in the chili is cooked on a grill/smoker. Please refer to throwdown rule #4.

4. Entries must be grilled or smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature grilled or smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots). Using a gas grill is perfectly acceptable, unless a particular category requires the use of a wood or charcoal cooker. Additionally, other forms of wood or gas cooking are fine, which would include a wood fired fireplace (indoor or outdoor), a firepit(gas or wood fired), and other gas/propane powered cookers like pizza ovens, flat tops, and griddles.

Link to Throwdown Rules.

Sure, as long as the chili or a major ingredient in the chili is cooked on a grill/smoker. Please refer to throwdown rule #4.

I have a question about that - Some recipes are cooked in a skillet, no grill or smoker required, except perhaps as a heat source. For example, I have a wonderful recipe for Bananas Forster done in a skillet in just a few minutes. It uses banana liquor and dark rum and would qualify as "cooked with booze". I do it outside on my gasser so I can light it up (flambé) safely. Would this qualify for a TD?

I have a question about that - Some recipes are cooked in a skillet, no grill or smoker required, except perhaps as a heat source. For example, I have a wonderful recipe for Bananas Forster done in a skillet in just a few minutes. It uses banana liquor and dark rum and would qualify as "cooked with booze". I do it outside on my gasser so I can light it up (flambé) safely. Would this qualify for a TD?

Sure would. We've had numerous entries in the past that were cooked in a pot/pan on a grill. Get some flame pics!!!

Haven't done a throw down in a while, but I went to the liquor store for some "inspiration". I found cheap Apple brandy and decided a variation on beer can chicken would work.
Ingredients: Whole chicken, hard cider (2 kinds), orange juice, Apple brandy, various spices.
52802980094_0b22e6af86.jpg

First, I made a marinade for the bird with OJ, Redds apple ale, and some spices.
Second, I took a beer can, drank the beer, then filled it with angry orchard and stuffed it up the butt of the chicken.
Lasty, I made a spritz out of Angry orchard, OJ, and Apple Brandy.
On the grill, indirect with the vortex, I spritz the bird every 15 minutes
52802207872_2e0a19a2cf.jpg

Here is the final product (use this photo for the entry)...

52803021184_f24e3f2fcb.jpg

Back