Competition Sausage and Tenderloin

MeatStreet

I'm cooking in an unsanctioned contest in about a month. It'll be a one day affair, so instead of shoulder and brisket, it'll be sausage and tenderloin.

Anyone have any insight into flavor profiles that I should use?

I figured that I'd treat the tenderloin like a shoulder with it's profile. But I'm lost on the sausage. Are judges in these competitions typically looking for red hots?

And for garnishing, I assume that I will slice up medallions for both and stick them in the traditional garnish box.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've done this competition in the past. Stay warm!

My recommendation is to go with a skinless sausage. I believe that skin-on sausage has a higher risk of missing the target on tenderness. This category provides you the ability to be creative with bacon weaves and fillings. I think fatties do well here.

For tenderloin, I'd rub it and sauce it like ribs. Grill it to 140. I would present it in the box like money muscle.

I've judged that competition many times and we have seen just about everything! Whatever you end up with, try not to offend anyone with you flavors. Too hot, too sweet, too salty and you'll be in trouble.

Back