Coffee,Smoke & Duroc β˜•πŸ·πŸ”₯πŸ·β˜•

Is there much of a difference in Duroc? I see it at a market I like when I travel through Iowa. I bought one on the last trip, but then ended up needing to do a 'luau style' cook so I'm sure that covered a lot.

Trying to decide if I need another next week..

When quite young living in NE Oklahoma our family (parents-grandparents-aunts-uncles etc) either raised or purchased the Heritage breed "red pork". Not to be confused with commodity pork aka the other white meat. Some say the floppy eared red meat have a slave history some a New England, but having read way to much the last couple years- those two may not be mutually exclusive.

The difference to my taste buds. Commodity white meat pork tastes like what you season it with. Duroc is deeper in color, richer in flavor and I would be fine with just season with smoke. It's really good

To me when it comes to taste of commodity pork. Boston Butt vs Picnic. I believe the picnic has a deeper richer flavor. That same difference is magnified when comparing commodity vs Duroc.

The breeds are raised differently, cared for different, and are different. The costs can be 2-4X more per pound for Duroc, in my experience the cuts are smaller.

I cook both. But I'm always pleased with the deeper richness of Duroc

https://www.roysfarm.com/duroc-pig/

Above link to pig history ^^^^^

The difference to my taste buds. Commodity white meat pork tastes like what you season it with. Duroc is deeper in color, richer in flavor and I would be fine with just season with smoke. It's really good

To me when it comes to taste of commodity pork. Boston Butt vs Picnic. I believe the picnic has a deeper richer flavor. That same difference is magnified when comparing commodity vs Duroc.

Agree with this 100%. It's hard to go back to commodity once you've tried Duroc. I've been buying 8 St. Louis ribs at a time from Compart Family Farms and with shipping it comes out to about $30 per slab, and these are meaty ribs, so feel like it's a great value.

When quite young living in NE Oklahoma our family (parents-grandparents-aunts-uncles etc) either raised or purchased the Heritage breed "red pork". Not to be confused with commodity pork aka the other white meat. Some say the floppy eared red meat have a slave history some a New England, but having read way to much the last couple years- those two may not be mutually exclusive.

The breeds are raised differently, cared for different, and are different. The costs can be 2-4X more per pound for Duroc, in my experience the cuts are smaller.

I cook both. But I'm always pleased with the deeper richness of Duroc

https://www.roysfarm.com/duroc-pig/

Above link to pig history ^^^^^
Then I'll be sure to pick some up next week! Thank you very much for the explanation. I don't mind paying more for a quality product, and sounds like that's really what I will get here. And luckily, it's usually 2x at this place, and not 4x.

Back