THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
First the ALDI score. Sorry Jeanie they did not have any of the Maggi bouillon.

DSCF1086.jpg

A loaf each of my favorite bread. 100% rye pumperknickel and rye bread. Very dense and heavy with an almost sourdough in taste. To give you an idea of just how dense the bread is, those little 3-1/2" tall by 6-1/2" long by 2-1/4" deep loaves weighs 1/2 a kilo ... that like 1.1 lbs. They are breads I have tried and tried to make but have never succeeded in matching the quality of store bought. At $1.49 each, how could I go wrong.

Smoked cheddar, swiss and pepper jack cheeses $1.99 ea.

And a pair of Kitchen Living oven gloves for wrestling the hot stuff on the smoker. Of course they don't sell them in pairs so they cost me $5.99 each. My buddy Greendriver turned me on to them at my last comp. He showed me the trick of putting latex gloves on over the them to pull pork, move large butts, etc. Thanks GD!

Scored on a few other things but I don't think you need to see pictures of shredded wheat and granola bars.

Well I had some of that chili verde left over from last night. Not as much as I had thought I would, since I got the munchies around midnight and as damp as it was here in the Atlanta area another bowl of that warm, wet and farkable stew hit the spot.

I also mentioned that I was gonna rerun the left overs again tonight this time with some Round Up biscuits on top. (for a little more detail on the biscuits see:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72139 )

First I decided I wanted a little more spice to my biscuits, so I got out the ol' ulu and finely chopped up a chipotle.

DSCF1087.jpg

I mixed that in with the Pioneer baking mix, with a little beer, sour cream and some milk. I kneaded it, rolled it out and added 3 slices each of smoked cheeses. Added a butt load of precooked bacon ( I was just to hungry to take the time to cook up any ).

DSCF1090.jpg

Rolled it and sliced it and placed then place rounds on top of the leftover chili verde in a disposable pie tin.

DSCF1095.jpg

Into the oven at 400* for 20 minutes and wallah!

DSCF1097.jpg

The biscuits that were not dropped on the chili, really puffed up as you can see. I am gonna have to try them on there own some time. Maybe use them for a fatty sammy.

Here she is plated.

DSCF1102.jpg

Well I still have plenty of this left over, so it will be a few more days at least before I post any more pron. But I have more of the pulled pork in the freezer so in a couple of days I will be trying my hand at tamales. Thanks for idea Cowgirl. I think I will spice up the masa with some of the chipotles like I did here, maybe a little chopped onion and garlic too!

Last edited:
looks farkin' awesome bro!!!!

As far as Aldis's though...ugh...I had bad experience there once and never been back. Pull into parking lot...walk up to get a cart...it's like locked in there somehow...finally someone says "you gotta put a quarter in the machine to get a cart"... I"m like WTF? No change on me, so back to the truck..root thru glove box and find a quarter..get my cart. Now I'm walking thru the store but not overly impressed. End up with maybe a dozen items in the cart. Stand in line at the checkout while they ring me up. Hand them my Visa....."sorry sir, we only take cash or checks". By this time my blood's really boiling! Get into my wallet...have to get into my "mad money" to pay for the chit. After I pay, I'm waiting for the checkout dude to bag my groceries, when he says "sorry sir, you have to bring your own bag". I just about had the big one at that point. Threw the chit in my cart and stomped out to my truck and threw it all in back seat and vowed NEVER to return!!! LOL. On the other hand, my sister and bro in law love the place! go figure! :)

looks farkin' awesome bro!!!!

As far as Aldis's though...ugh...I had bad experience there once and never been back. Pull into parking lot...walk up to get a cart...it's like locked in there somehow...finally someone says "you gotta put a quarter in the machine to get a cart"... I"m like WTF? No change on me, so back to the truck..root thru glove box and find a quarter..get my cart. Now I'm walking thru the store but not overly impressed. End up with maybe a dozen items in the cart. Stand in line at the checkout while they ring me up. Hand them my Visa....."sorry sir, we only take cash or checks". By this time my blood's really boiling! Get into my wallet...have to get into my "mad money" to pay for the chit. After I pay, I'm waiting for the checkout dude to bag my groceries, when he says "sorry sir, you have to bring your own bag". I just about had the big one at that point. Threw the chit in my cart and stomped out to my truck and threw it all in back seat and vowed NEVER to return!!! LOL. On the other hand, my sister and bro in law love the place! go figure! :)

I first experienced an ALDI Markt when I lived in Europe so I was pretty excited when they came to the States. All the ALDI in this area take debit and credit cards. They are almost entirely store brand now with a few national and international brands but not many. I love the quarter in the cart thing, it really prevents carts from being all over the parking lot since you need to stow it back in the cue to get your quarter back. Most of there store brands are excellent, especially the pantry items.

Mike, that sounds like a bad day for sure. At our local ALDI's yes, it does take a quarter to get the cart, but you do get it back when you return it. The bag thing can get irritating at first, but ours' does have bags for sale for something like 5 or 10 cents each. As for the "cash or checks" part - he was dead arse wrong - ALDI's takes cash or debit cards, no checks (I'm not sure about the credit card, though).
I kinda like our ALDI's - not much on most name brands, but they have some pretty decent "off" brands for the price.

That "chopped chipolte" looks a lot like another crucial ingredient... LOL!

That "chopped chipolte" looks a lot like another crucial ingredient... LOL!

They do have a 'magical' look to them don't they? My mind would never have gone there but as soon as you said it I was there in a heart beat.

Course this reminds me of an old joke.

Sometimes I feel like a mushroom.

Why is that?

My wife keeps me in the dark and feeds me lots of chit.

They do have a 'magical' look to them don't they? My mind would never have gone there but as soon as you said it I was there in a heart beat.

Course this reminds me of an old joke.

Sometimes I feel like a mushroom.

Why is that?

My wife keeps me in the dark and feeds me lots of chit.

:lol:.... I've never heard that one before.

Your pictures more than make up for not finding Maggi cubes at the store.
Looks wonderful!! :cool::biggrin:

Great looking gloves too, I'm going to see if I can find some. Thanks for the tip!

Nice groceries and eats!
I'm gonna check if they sell those gloves over here too.

That quarter in a cart thing is quite normal over here,as Redheart said:eek:therwise those carts are all over the place.
In some malls here they have locks on the wheels,when you cross a certain border the wheels will lock up,real pharked up if you have the whole cart full with groceries.
Carts cost quite expensive to buy so that's why they do all of that stuff.
As far as the bags go,if they are plastic (the ones that are bad for the environment) I'm glad that they don't sell it.

@Cowgirl and Redheart:If you can't find Maggi try Knorr,I think the have bouillion cubes too.

Cowgirl ... I am glad you enjoyed the joke and the pictures. Being single I usually tell that joke from the point of view an employee.

Phu ... If they don't have the gloves let me know and I will send ya a pair.

Phu ... ALDI pretty much sells only it's store brands. I am sure they are proprietary and probably the same as European recipes, just made here in the states. Of course their branding is probably different. I avoid there frozen processed meat products, but then again I pretty much avoid all frozen processed meat products.

Guerre
... I picked the ulu up when I was last in Alaska. It is an Inuit invention. You can probably get them on line.

Back