Chiecken Al Pastor on Trombo King

Plata-O-Plomo

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Martin
Disclaimer: sorry about the pictures. I just did research and found out I need to hold my phone horizontally in order to get the photos to post upright. Will do next time.

Last week I received my Trombo King (TK) and thought this weekend would be a good time to try it out. I had just purchased one of the huge packs of chicken breasts from Costco so Chicken Al Pastor was the decision.

I put all the ingredients into a food processor and blended them smooth. I then took six chicken breasts and sliced them in half (long ways, so there were two thin breasts). There were two huge ones where I made three thin ones. I marinated the chicken over night in the Al Pastor marinade. Following the marinade I cut two thick slices of pineapple (also a Costco item). I put a slice of pineapple onto the TK then stacked the chicken placing the second piece of pineapple on top. I smoked it in the YS640. The end product had some pretty good presentation appeal, at least to me.

Here is what I learned:

I started the smoke @ 350 and figured 90-120 minutes. Wrong, it was cold out with snow flurries and snow on the ground. Not sure if that impacted the time but I ended up cranking it up to 400 about 45 minutes in. Total cook time was 3.5 hours. The tips of the chicken burned and were dry. The interior meat is AWESOME! I can't wait for tacos tonight. It would be much easier to grill it and save the time. Better yet,add some Carne Asada with the chicken on the grill and have two types of tacos. But the presentation is good. The pineapple from the TK was good but mushy. Probably from the amount of time in the smoker. Fresh pineapple was better.

Marinade:

2 Tablespoons diced chipotle’s with juice
1 Box of achiote (3.5 oz)
1 Bay leaf
1 Tablespoon oregano
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
1 1/2Teaspoon salt
3-4 Garlic cloves
1/2 Teaspoon ginger powder
1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon
2 Cloves
10 Pepper corns
3/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups bitter orange or you could use 1 cup orange juice and 3/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4- Cup canola oil

And there it is. Thanks for taking a look.

https://smokeware.com/products/trompo-king

Attachments

• Al Pastor Ingredients.jpg
    Al Pastor Ingredients.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Al Pastor Smoking 3-1-20.jpg
    Al Pastor Smoking 3-1-20.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Al Pastor Out of Smoker 3-1-20.jpg
    Al Pastor Out of Smoker 3-1-20.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Al Pastor on a Chip 3-1-20.jpg
    Al Pastor on a Chip 3-1-20.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 150
Looks real good to me....love those burned bits, adds great flavor. Never did it with chicken, gotta add it to the mix!! Thanks for sharing

This is great!

Carne al Pastor and Gyros/schwarma are my two favorites on my own cheap-arsed Trompo knock-off.

Keep experimenting and playing...

Back