THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
I recently bought a new Charbroil Kamander grill and wanted to replace the plastic intake tube & damper with a metal one provided by Charbroil. I'm hoping this will help with heat control which I think will be difficult with the plastic setup due to air leaks. I called Charbroil and they sent out a metal replacement kit for free. I received it today but was surprised to see that it's only the tube and doesn't include a new intake damper. I figured that maybe I'm supposed to use the plastic damper with the metal tube - but looking at the tube it doesn't appear to be the case. The new metal tube has two holes which seem like they would line up with the screw holes of the metal exhaust damper. So I'm back to thinking its missing a metal intake damper. However, before I call Charbroil, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has a Charbroil Kamander and knows how the intake tube is supposed to be installed - with the existing damper or with a new metal one (which Charbroil doesn't appear to have anymore). I've attached a few pictures to hopefully illustrate the issue. Any help with this problem would be appreciated!

Attachments

• CB2.jpg
    CB2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 83
  • CB3.jpg
    CB3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 83
  • CB1.jpg
    CB1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CB4.jpg
    CB4.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 83
I have the Kamander. Pic 1, Don't know what this is. Was that the original plastic part? The problem with the plastic parts was that they melted.
Pic 2, This is what I have on mine (metal). No plastic at all.

I have the Kamander. Pic 1, Don't know what this is. Was that the original plastic part? The problem with the plastic parts was that they melted.
Pic 2, This is what I have on mine (metal). No plastic at all.

Yes that's the plastic intake port that I still have on my Kamander. I now have the metal one, but it doesn't look like it works with the intake damper that sits on the shelf since it has 3 threaded holes and the metal intake tube seems to be setup for a 2 bolt attachment.

Ok so I contacted Charbroil today and they confirmed that I need the intake damper that goes with the metal replacement intake tube. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore and recommended that I search 3rd party dealers of Charbroil parts, etc. I've checked all the places I know on the internet with no luck, so it looks like this grill will need to be set aside for awhile until I have time to fabricate something. I guess my primary mistake was buying a Kamander thinking the "conversion kit" was complete. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

Yes that's the plastic intake port that I still have on my Kamander. I now have the metal one, but it doesn't look like it works with the intake damper that sits on the shelf since it has 3 threaded holes and the metal intake tube seems to be setup for a 2 bolt attachment.

I see 2 screws in Pic 4. Those 2 screws go into the the top of the METAL pipe where the 2 holes are shown.

Now, they made 2 versions. Originally, it was with the plastic. However, the plastic melted. Second, they made it with the metal pipe. I have the metal version. If you had the plastic, they would send you the metal part (which you've done). I don't recall people having a problem.

On your version, your table has hooks. Metal version did not have the hooks. I called, and they sent me the hook attachment for the table. However, you could not attach it to my table because there wasn't holes for it. They told me to trying screwing holes into my table.

Came across more info, I did not know that the table part was plastic.

Last edited:
I see 2 screws in Pic 4. Those 2 screws go into the the top of the METAL pipe where the 2 holes are shown.

Now, they made 2 versions. Originally, it was with the plastic. However, the plastic melted. Second, they made it with the metal pipe. I have the metal version. If you had the plastic, they would send you the metal part (which you've done). I don't recall people having a problem.

On your version, your table has hooks. Metal version did not have the hooks. I called, and they sent me the hook attachment for the table. However, you could not attach it to my table because there wasn't holes for it. They told me to trying screwing holes into my table.

Came across more info, I did not know that the table part was plastic.

Do you know what model number yours is? My owners manual says 17302051 for mine. I'm thinking you have a later model if you have the metal intake tube. My Kamander was probably the first run. About the 2 screws on the 4th picture - yep that's the exhaust damper so I think it may work if I can get my hands on one. I did find a place selling the exhaust damper so I put in an order for it, but not holding my breath as they indicate it takes up to 20 days to deliver. This probably means they go to the manufacturer, and find out there aren't any available.

Do you know what model number yours is? My owners manual says 17302051 for mine. I'm thinking you have a later model if you have the metal intake tube. My Kamander was probably the first run. About the 2 screws on the 4th picture - yep that's the exhaust damper so I think it may work if I can get my hands on one. I did find a place selling the exhaust damper so I put in an order for it, but not holding my breath as they indicate it takes up to 20 days to deliver. This probably means they go to the manufacturer, and find out there aren't any available.

Yes, I have a later model.

No, I don't have my model number. I came across my manual recently, and now I can't find it. Looked online for it last night and all I could find was the early version. Weird.

Back