Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Central Iowa BBQ Cruise & Brew Boone,Ia April 25-27

First day of the contest went pretty well, aside from the damn wind. It's crazy how stacked the field is. I heard it was announced in the cooks meeting that out of 45 teams, 20 have won a GC.

I decided to head home for the overnight and let Dad and my brother hold down the fort for the night. Will be back bright and early tomorrow.

Yeah, cut out and miss the rainstorm. Not sure when it started raining there but I'm sure it made thing interesting as it always does.

Wow, what a event this was!! It was as close to Royal quality samples as you'll ever find. A few glitches but I sure they'll be addressed for next year.
Only downside was the weather, I went roaming after judging and everybody was holed up in their trailers.
43 teams for a first year event bodes well for the future.
Ed

Do you know if they have a limit on the number of teams? I will be on the look out for this contest next year.

Ron and Dena said they have room for over 100 teams, Andy who runs the Expo center put 5 fingers up when Ron said 100 so I assume he was saying 500.

Was a great trip and contest. Friday I had a nice delicious dinner that Bryan whipped up at his restaurant Saddles in MAD-rid (Madrid). Iowans have their own perculiar pronunciation guide. It was fun meeting another of the brethern in person.

I camped at the local state park The Ledges amazing place. According to the boy scouts across from me the trees I was camped under were hickories, which explained why so many camp fires smelled like BBQ.
My tent didn't blow away or get drenched which was basically surprising.

The contest(s) were great and will be on my list for future applications to judge.
The wind was brutal at times and there was a gully washer around 8 am Sunday morning.
The cooks seemed to have compensated well there was only one entry seemed that be 'well it's going in the box because that's what we have'
Some, strike that, MANY excellent boxes.

Now I'm not the best at remembering stuff at times but what was interesting was the possibility that I had judged two entries (different categories) from the same Team, two days in a row.
Presentations were very similar along with other possible tells. No idea who, no desire to confirm or deny.
Any one else have this happen to them at a back to back?

I had a great time judging on Sat and visiting with people.

Freddy, I just kept missing you - sorry.

Will echo what Ed and Phil said, lots of really top notch entries. Judging is more fun when the Q is excellent.

Anyone else notice that the scores were higher on Sunday than Sat?
GC score on Sat would have been 10th place or worse on Sunday.

Was there a lot of judge turn over for Sunday vs Sat. ? Or were the entries just that much better?

This is a great contest that needs to continue. Kudos to Ron and Dena for a lot of

hard work that produced excellent results.

Ron and Dena did a great job with this in the first year. :eusa_clap
Weather in Iowa is what it is so we have to take it. I felt sorry for that guy from Illinois that couldn't even get his 4x4 backed up to hook up his trailer on Sunday after the rain. Just like grease. Hopefully he got it out some how.

Back