Cast iron frustarations...can't get it seasoned!!

My Griswold cast iron is very well seasoned, but seasoning will not make it non-stick.

When you cook in the cast iron pan you bought, you need to have fat lubing the pan to prevent sticking. I don't usually cook eggs in cast iron, but if I do, I don't get the pan too hot, and melt a generous amount of butter in the pan before dumping eggs into the pan. Not healthy, but if you want healthy, cook in non-stick pans.

Burgers and other meats will stick a little bit, and leave some residue you'll have to clean out when you are done cooking. With lean meat, you will need to add some fat to the pan before the meat goes in.

For things like pancakes, I wipe the pan down with a little shortening before pouring the batter.

Seasoning seals the cast iron, but again, it does not make it work like teflon. Use the proper amount of heat, and add some kind of fat, like butter, shortening or even bacon fat. Butter and shortening are my favorites to use when cooking in my cast iron.

CD

I like the hard Crisco method, cook at 300-325 for about 30-45 min. let cool, if it feels tacky/sticky, cook some more. Repeat this a couple of times to build up the surface.

Each time builds up a film until it is a hard shiny surface, then it is pretty much non stick.

I like the hard Crisco method, cook at 300-325 for about 30-45 min. let cool, if it feels tacky/sticky, cook some more. Repeat this a couple of times to build up the surface.

Each time builds up a film until it is a hard shiny surface, then it is pretty much non stick.

agreed. once you think it's done, cook it some more!

If all else fails get a fire going in the firepit and turn over upside down above it and let it get real hot changing colors. Then let it cool and wash it with just hot water and put on heat to dry pores. rub wesson oil all over all parts and place in brown paper bag. As long as you only wash in hot water you will be good.

Nice set up there............

If there are 100 posts in this thread --you will hear 100 different methods of seasoning cast iron cookware. I have my own method--but do not want to add more confusion.

The good thing about all of these different methods that are working for so many different people is that it is proof that seasoning cast iron is easy and has many different flexible methods.

When I purchase any cast iron cookware, new or used, I look at the original surface. Some cast iron is very rough, and some cast iron looks like polished glass. I buy the smoother pieces. I fry my eggs in cast iron every morning and flip the eggs to turn them over---however I started with a finely polished cast iron piece.

There are websites like www.camp-cook.com that have more cast iron info than here at BBQ_Brethren--I would look to see what others say---then determine your own method. This is some of my cast iron at the "Smokin' In The Oaks" KCBS competition last year in Penn Valley, CA. You can see that most of the cast iron is shiny black

She...is great in the sack... but dang if she doesn't do things to really piss me off... like when I find my skillet in the dishwasher.

Poor guy. You must have married my Ex? It took me a couple of years to get my skillet back in shape. I inherited the skillet from my Great Grandmother. Now Granny is resting in peace again since the skillet is once again s-w-e-e-t, shiney and black.

Poor guy. You must have married my Ex? It took me a couple of years to get my skillet back in shape. I inherited the skillet from my Great Grandmother. Now Granny is resting in peace again since the skillet is once again s-w-e-e-t, shiney and black.

Thats funny... cuz My ex lives in Lincoln Nebraska

Back