Carne Asada for Cinco De Mayo Throwdown

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
There's a Cinco De Mayo Feast throwdown ending on May 29th. Figured it was a good reason to go visit my local carneceria to confirm just how bad my spanish is. The meats are labeled only in spanish and I now realize that my 4 years of studying spanish in high school taught me how to ask for things like "where is the library (donde esta la biblioteca)?" but failed to teach me the names of meat cuts in spanish. What a messed up curriculum!

Thankfully I recognized skirt steak (arrachera) when seeing the cut. The butcher asked me in spanish if I wanted some already seasoned "preparada" (I believe) or not. I somehow managed to order some of both. I also picked up some cotija cheese, poblanos, and corn tortillas while there.

I fired up the Santa Maria pit with oak for the cook and started off roasting the poblanos and scallions:

h7aCmLp.jpg

Followed by some onion slices and the meat (one on left was seasoned with a fajita seasoning and santa maria rub, the one on the right was marinated by the carneceria):

dq6PZbM.jpg

3nbRSkv.jpg

Warmed up some tortillas and plated my meal (with some pico de gallo, salsa verde, cotija cheese, lime juice and sour cream added):

UJNd37X.jpg

PORkR7z.jpg

The flavor of the meats was a little different and I had a hard time picking which I liked better and ultimately put both into each taco.

It was muy delicioso!

Thanks for looking

Looks great!

Simply Marvelous Santa Maria rub? Have only tried on salmon so far and it was very good.

Looks great!

Simply Marvelous Santa Maria rub? Have only tried on salmon so far and it was very good.

Thanks! It wasn't the Simply Marvelous rub (which I do have but haven't opened yet). I'm looking forward to trying Steph's Santa Maria rub after I finish up the bottle I have which is a "Garlic Festival" brand.

Looks really good!

Thanks Doug! I was shopping in your town for this cook.

Thanks! It wasn't the Simply Marvelous rub (which I do have but haven't opened yet). I'm looking forward to trying Steph's Santa Maria rub after I finish up the bottle I have which is a "Garlic Festival" brand.

Thanks Doug! I was shopping in your town for this cook.

Doors always open!

Back