Caribbean BBQ

JDQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Just got back from San Juan, Puerto Rico where my wife and I helped judge the Cattlemen's BBQ competition. About 40 teams competed in everything from ancillaries to whole hog to the standard KCBS categories, while simultaneously serving up free samples to about 10,000 of the public who paid admission to walk the midway to see the teams work Saturday and Sunday.

Mike Compton (President, Caribbean BBQ Association) did an amazing job keeping things moving and seemed to be everywhere at once. He was assisted by Hector Rivera (Vice President), Rusty and Julie Cook (Reps in training) and KCBS Reps Wayne and Maria Lohman (also in charge of KCBS International) who really went above and beyond the call to make the event a success.

Thursday evening was a Judging Class. Based on pre-registration, Mike estimated there would be 18 or so people in the class, so that is what Wayne and Maria prepared for. When class finally began, over 60 people were seated and the meat was running low. But everything worked out well.

Friday was team arrival day with preparations for the whole hog competition to be judged Saturday from noon to 4 pm.

Saturday morning was preparation and cooking of the ancillary products: wings, steak, hamburgers and dessert, which were judged at the same time as the whole hog competition.

Sunday was the judging of the sanctioned part of the event, and it all went off really well.

Many of the newly trained local judges were used in all categories of the event, so some really good experienced was gained in a very short time. New judges and older judges shared knowledge about local flavor profiles and judging experiences.

The CBBQA did a great job organizing and facilitating the event.

And it was nice to get out of Wisconsin and into some 80-degree weather for a few days.

JDQ
Burnita Bar-B-Que Boys

Hey Jeff,

Glad to hear that you got home safely! Sure was a GREAT time and I enjoyed judging the whole hog category with you on Saturday! Definitely NOT the way we cook whole-hog down here in North Carolina!

I was very pleased with the warm welcome and how everyone down there was so friendly! The KCBS contest on Sunday wasn't quite the quality on my table that I'm used to in the States, but other tables had some outstanding entries (my wife shared some of her ribs and brisket).

We had a GREAT time and can't hardly wait until next February 20-21 when we will do it again!

That is so awesome. I would love to judge that event. Must put it on my list =)
Thank you for sharing.

please post some photos so i can break out a lawn chair and sit in front of them with my sunglasses on and pretend to be there! :icon_cool

Just got home from San Juan. It sucked riding by in the cab last Sunday to get on a cruise. Pretty sure you'll see Fowl Butt there next year!:thumb: Already making plans.

Back