Cannon Pits?

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I’ve been going down the offset smoker rabbit hole recently, found a plethora of builders that look great. Anyone here familiar with Cannon Pits and Fabrication out of Granbury, TX? They’ve got some nice looking pits at a good price, but I’m not really finding much in a Google search.

They do look pretty good. With such a wide range of pits I’m surprised I haven’t heard of them. Their backyard pits are especially reasonably priced.

They need to work on their website. None of the cookers I click on bring me to a page with details.

For example: the 24" 3/8" reverse flow. How big is the cook chamber?

Or what do you get for $3500 on the square body?

Maybe the site is under construction, but it currently gives very little info about each cooker. Not everyone is going to call or email for more info.

Maybe I'm missing something?

They need to work on their website. None of the cookers I click on bring me to a page with details.

For example: the 24" 3/8" reverse flow. How big is the cook chamber?

Or what do you get for $3500 on the square body?

Maybe the site is under construction, but it currently gives very little info about each cooker. Not everyone is going to call or email for more info.

Maybe I'm missing something?

It's been that way since the beginning. I had the same questions.

I have found that a lot of smoker builders have awful websites. I’m usually surprised just to see prices listed. Their Facebook page seems to give out a little better info, but it seems like you gotta call or message them.

Whenever someone is asking prices on Facebook for what looks like the $3500 24” Cannon Pit, they’re saying $4250. So it’s not clear what is included in the base price and what’s extra. And they’re also saying about a year wait time per Facebook posts. My Santa Maria grill took about that long, I’m not willing to wait that long again.

I would give this guy a look. He is in Vivian, Louisiana. He has some very reasonable prices and you might be able to save a lot on shipping, although it appears he lives about 4 1/2 hours from you. I have a good friend that lives in Prairieville.

https://www.facebook.com/allensweldingandwoodworking

The only thing I find odd about his horizontal smokers is that instead of using pipe, he is welding pieces of plate steel together. I would assume pipe would be less labor, but perhaps plate steel is much cheaper than prefab pipe and offsets his labor costs. Still, looks like good prices.

Good luck in your search.

Robert

They’re calling me but they don’t want to answer my emails

They didn't answer mine off of the website either but Phil has his personal email on the FB page, he answered that email for me the next morning. He also answers FB messages that same day, I spoke with him last week on FB.

I would give this guy a look. He is in Vivian, Louisiana. He has some very reasonable prices and you might be able to save a lot on shipping, although it appears he lives about 4 1/2 hours from you. I have a good friend that lives in Prairieville.

The only thing I find odd about his horizontal smokers is that instead of using pipe, he is welding pieces of plate steel together. I would assume pipe would be less labor, but perhaps plate steel is much cheaper than prefab pipe and offsets his labor costs. Still, looks like good prices.

Robert

There's also Boathouse smokers in LA, he is more of a vertical offset but he just advertised a 20X36 that looks incredibly similiar to the LSG 20X36, i.e. plate not barrel type yesterday with about a weeks wait time for fabrication.

BTW you guys are sooooo lucky being that close to Texas, the shipping for me into the North East is obscene, as much as I want a real deal Texas pit I don't know if it will happen unless I find something used, oh well, is what it is!

Robert

He’s actually who built my Santa Maria grill. He did take a lot longer than expected, but it’s good quality.

Is there any functional difference between a round smoker and one that’s shaped like a rectangle or octagon?

They didn't answer mine off of the website either but Phil has his personal email on the FB page, he answered that email for me the next morning. He also answers FB messages that same day, I spoke with him last week on FB.

Phil is always good about responding to instagram direct messages as well -

Is there any functional difference between a round smoker and one that’s shaped like a rectangle or octagon?

Yes, the big advantage is a lot more meat rack room. Racks are the same size no matter which shelf. That's why Shirley builds them rectangle.

Yes, the big advantage is a lot more meat rack room. Racks are the same size no matter which shelf. That's why Shirley builds them rectangle.

I was always a little concerned that somehow it messed up the aerodynamics in the pit, but I’m also most likely not talented enough for it to make a difference.

Back