Calories in Pork Butt?

On a serious note I agree with aawa's strategy. I peaked out at 302 about a year ago. Lost 45 and then stalled. Cut out the liquid pork chops(Bud Light) and bingo--started going down again. Presently 248 on my way to 180.

I was at 230 at 5'6". I'm down to 200 now and slowly making my way down to hopefully about 170 range. I have stepped on the weekly scale where I went up in weight only twice the rest of the time I have either lost weight or stayed the same.

Good job on your weight loss and keep on going.

On a serious note I agree with aawa's strategy. I peaked out at 302 about a year ago. Lost 45 and then stalled. Cut out the liquid pork chops(Bud Light) and bingo--started going down again. Presently 248 on my way to 180.

I'm 6 foot, and never been over 200 pounds, but peaked out at just under 200 a few years ago. I felt unhealthy and my clothes were starting to not fit. I also cut out all beer during the week, and dropped 30 in a hurry. I still stick to that for the most part, and I try to make up for it on the weekends :thumb:

But, back to the OP, I would just try to limit my servings to 3-4 ounces. You could always smoke and pull the butt, then bag it up into appropriate portions and freeze. Then, when its lunch or dinner time, you have your portions ready to go and don't have all that extra sitting around just begging to be eaten up.

I use a calorie counter app called My Fitness Pal. It has worked for me this year by losing almost 50 pounds since Feb.
Good luck.

I agree with this comment, You would be amazed what has high cals in it and what does not. You would be surprised how many cals are in the prep food, sauces/oils/dressings, and sadly beer. Switching to wiskey cut a fair bit :becky:

I log every day and I've come down to 12% body fat in the last 8 month eating my share of bbq/grilled meat.

Last comment, these things overestimate how many cals you burn exercising, at least based on my heart rate monitor.

I agree with this comment, You would be amazed what has high cals in it and what does not. You would be surprised how many cals are in the prep food, sauces/oils/dressings, and sadly beer. Switching to wiskey cut a fair bit :becky:

I log every day and I've come down to 12% body fat in the last 8 month eating my share of bbq/grilled meat.

Last comment, these things overestimate how many cals you burn exercising, at least based on my heart rate monitor.

Actually spirits are quite high in calories. A shot of whiskey has like 100 calories or something. And if you mix drinks the way I do, you're at 350 - 400 calories before you even think about mixing it!

To paraphrase , once I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading! :becky:

I have been on the large size my whole adult life (according to the USAF and the internet). I am / was (getting old) 6'1" and have been in the 200+ range my whole adult life except for Basic Training. At one point I stopped weighing myself and kinda lost track where I was. We did some holiday photos and when we got them back I looked FAT. Stepped on the scale and I was at 234 and my military max was 209.5. Time to diet.

Portion control is the best thing you can do to trick the mind into thinking you are full. And it doesn't always need to be weighed out or measured. I used to make something like spaghetti and fill up a large bowl of it for myself. When I finished that bowl, my mind told me I still wanted more, so I'd get another scoop and eat that too. I found that if I replaced my large serving bowl with a smaller bowl, I could eat that bowlful, grab another two bites worth, and I'd be good. Easily cut my meal down by at least a third if not a half, and my mind thought I was full.

As I have gotten older, my metabolism has screwed with me more. No matter what I eat, I stay about the same. My goal has always been to get down to 190 something. Doubt I'll ever see that. But as long as it stays stable and doesn't start rising, I am ok with it. Figure I only have about 20 more years. I think I'll enjoy it...

Oh, and I ain't giving up on my liquid pork chops... I gave up soda's, working on quitting smoking, I'll probably die with a beer by my side. And my buddies better make sure I am buried with some for the eternal... :mrgreen:

I lost 50# in 6 months by just eating one moderate serving of everything, then push back from the table. Another trick is to drink glass of water just before you eat. Its not fun at first but doesn't take long to get used to it.

Just drink a diet coke with it, your good.

Absolutely the worst thing in the world to drink as far as being bad for you health wise. Not saying don't drink them, but do some research and then decide.

Disclaimer: I am not a health nut by any stretch of the imagination, but do read about some things health related for an insight into what is the latest good for you/bad for you information. For entertainment if nothing else.

Be Blessed!

Omar

I can't think of any reference that would be of great help in terms of dialing in an exact calorie count. Obviously, some things can be calculated, such as calories per gram of fat, and calories per gram of lean protein. From there, you can make some educated estimates based upon observations.

There will always be 9 calories per gram of fat, doesn't matter what type.
There will always be 4 calories per gram of protein, doesn't matter what type.
1 ounce always equals 28 grams.

Given a 1 ounce serving, you are looking at 28 grams. As mentioned above, a great deal of fat is rendered out of a pork butt, and I suppose one could end up measuring that. However, I have not, although I would guess for these purposes, a serving would be around 95% protein and 5% fat, leaving us with:

26.6 grams of protein at 4 calories=106 calories per 1 ounce serving
1.4 grams of fat at 9 calories=13 calories per 1 ounce serving

therefore: 1 ounce of pulled pork, plain is 119 calories per ounce.

I can't think of any reference that would be of great help in terms of dialing in an exact calorie count. Obviously, some things can be calculated, such as calories per gram of fat, and calories per gram of lean protein. From there, you can make some educated estimates based upon observations.

There will always be 9 calories per gram of fat, doesn't matter what type.
There will always be 4 calories per gram of protein, doesn't matter what type.
1 ounce always equals 28 grams.

Given a 1 ounce serving, you are looking at 28 grams. As mentioned above, a great deal of fat is rendered out of a pork butt, and I suppose one could end up measuring that. However, I have not, although I would guess for these purposes, a serving would be around 95% protein and 5% fat, leaving us with:

26.6 grams of protein at 4 calories=106 calories per 1 ounce serving
1.4 grams of fat at 9 calories=13 calories per 1 ounce serving

therefore: 1 ounce of pulled pork, plain is 119 calories per ounce.

Best answer. Also, as if you needed another reason to hate people who cook pulled pork in a crock pot: They will have a decidedly more unhealthy meal...Because the rendered fat sits in the pot instead of dripping away.

So per natural selection they'll die out faster and leave real BBQ to propagate.

I am a free believer in Natural Selection. Especially after having Cliff from Cheers explain the Buffalo Theory.:-D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMV_fJDruog"]BUFFALO THEORY - CHEERS - YouTube[/ame]

[FONT=&quot]Everything in moderation along with plenty of exercise will yield your natural healthy weight, whatever that is.[/FONT]

Best answer. Also, as if you needed another reason to hate people who cook pulled pork in a crock pot: They will have a decidedly more unhealthy meal...Because the rendered fat sits in the pot instead of dripping away.

So per natural selection they'll die out faster and leave real BBQ to propagate.
I had never really given it much thought, I assumed crock pot bbq was more popular because it was easy, but, it also cooks the pork in it's own fat, I bet that is why so many folks love it. Just fatty, salty, greasy and sweet

Back