Calling All Tree Experts - Wood ID Needed

TXArmy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Brandon
Anyone know what species of tree this wood is from? Got a bunch of free wood but not sure what kind it is. Presume it's hardwood, based on pics of the tree from google maps it doesn't look like pine. I'm open to anyone's best guesses. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Last edited:
Split some and give us a better look. Leave some in the round as well but lets see the grain

I think hickory

There's an app that can help indentify a tree by taking a picture of the bark. I have doubts about how accurate it is , but its a start. I don't have it on my phone anymore but ya might search for it.

Not an expert at all but it has some resemblance of wild cherry bark. Specifically black cherry that I have been around. It’s been a few years though since I have been around black cherry. A split would definitely help.

Agreed, looks like cherry or could be pine - split a piece and smell it then post pics of endgrain and the split.

Thank you everyone! Agree the bark looks a bit like pine. I had to check google maps to make the tree wasn’t pine when it was standing. Will split some today and upload a pic of the grain. I thought it was potentially hickory too. Not that it matters a ton but it was a tree in Northern VA.

If you have a county extension office near you, they can tell you for sure.

Some of that bark really does look like pine.

I don't know what that is either, most hardwood I see in my part of FL is Oak and it isn't that, I don't think. Pines don't usually have molds/ferns....whatever that grey green stuff is in the first couple of photos.

Also, sap runs freely in the cut ends of pine and easy enough to eliminate that if no sap gets on his hands. :grin::grin:

Doesn't look like pine bark to me, at least not the kind of pine we have down here in Fl.

Our pine bark has longer browner segments. It's also sold in the big box stores as pine bark mulch, and that's not what it looks like.

New pics and deets...

No pine-sol smell. Not sticky. Cross section and split/grain pics attached. I'm leaning towards hickory based on some other seasoned hickory I have.....

Last edited:
I'm still leaning towards cherry. Black cherry trees grow like weeds here so I have a pile of logs that look like that.
Bark Doesn't look like the hickory I know but I'm only familiar with shagbark hickory up here so could be a southern variety? VT has a search and good pics - https://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=20

Guess you'll need to burn some and see what it smells like. Cherry smoke is sweet and fruity/cherry smelling. Hickory smells amazing, but is neither sweet nor fruity :-D

Walnut wood is much darker so you can rule that out.

I have burned mainly black cherry in my big smoker for years. The bark looks like cherry and so does the top of the un-split large log. How easily did those three pieces split? Cherry usually splits a lot easier that hickory does, especially a log with that diameter.

But don't trust us internet experts, myself included. As Ron stated, call your county extension office. If that doesn't work, call a reputable tree trimming service to see if they can identify the wood in question. If all else fails, start a fire with the wood, let it burn and check to see if this a smoke profile you would want on your BBQ.

Lager,

Juggy

The larger log was very difficult to split. Didn’t have much time so ended up splitting a smaller piece, which was the one in the pic. The split piece was easier but not easy.

I’d love if it’s cherry as I don’t have any in my stack. Next time I see a reputable tree company working at a neighbor’s I’ll ask em.

Thank you to everyone who’s entertained my curiosity!

Back