Button Just Got smaller - Pellet Tabletop

I had one of those Pit boss models (and an Asmoke 300, which is similar) and when it worked, it worked fine, but just be aware they are known for back-burn/auger fires. Mine had that issue a few times and I always cleaned the firebox after every cook. Just be sure you've got a plan if you start seeing smoke coming from the pellet hopper. When I had mine, I was not comfortable turning my back on it for any extended period of time. And if you have an auger fire and call Pit Boss, they will try to blame you for it.

From the Pit Boss Tabletop Facebook Group. Thing about Pit boss, any model -- there are groups that constantly critique the product. You can learn a lot reading the misadventures of others.

Did y’all read in the manual where it says to raise the left side 3/4-1”?

150PPx TABLETOP Portable Notes

Be sure to Level the unit and then Raise the left side of the unit 3/4-1” ... The feet on some units are adjustable.

With the shorter auger, to prevent auger fires, it’s critical that the pellets naturally flow towards the firepot.

The combustion fan runs constantly but at pulsates at variable speeds at lower dial set temperatures … absolutely normal for this unit.

Also... From my notes: Thomas Coffin commented; “I own this unit. Had two auger fires.”

First, take the grate out and throw it in the garbage. You need to be able to push down on the pellets. Trust me...

Second, make sure the hopper is always full up of pellets and no voids.

3rd, always start with a clean fire box. No ash at all in the firepot.

The thing about the PB150 is how shallow the firebox is. They say keep it level.. Well, in my experience with this little guy, level stacks ash under the auger on top of the igniter, and a back burn happens.

What I do is get it going, then slightly elevate the hopper side legs. Not too much. Just a little. This allows the pellets to roll to the right side of the fire box away from the auger.

It's not orthodox, but I don't have this anymore as long as I keep an eye on the hopper to prevent voids..

Also, ramp up temp slowly, ramp down temp slowly. It can't really handle a massive pellet dump.

Last edited:
I've been thinking, reading, watching videos on this little cooker a long time. I'm not immune to the pitfalls. I'm going to reread
The book and try to keep learning. The incremental steps up and down, then keep it clean , the extra slope so gravity aids pellet motion and grease drainage. I have a new shop vac and some 4" or so travertine tiles to elevate slightly.

As for set, forget and walk away the only cookers I've had to earn that level of trust are drums.

Ever since before I biuya Pit Boss I've been reading Bill Schnipperts thoughts in operation and troubleshooting Pit Boss pellet cookers. Here's another group of his thoughts on the Tabletop Pit Boss. Pay close attention to hopper,auger, burn pot, fan noises, incremental temp increases. All the advice he's posted on Austin XL has been spot on. Here's his advice on Tabletop

That's awesome! Congratulations!

150PPx TABLETOP Portable Notes

Be sure to Level the unit and then Raise the left side of the unit 3/4-1” ... The feet on some units are adjustable.

With the shorter auger, to prevent auger fires, it’s critical that the pellets naturally flow towards the firepot.

The combustion fan runs constantly but at pulsates at variable speeds at lower dial set temperatures … absolutely normal for this unit.

Also... From my notes: Thomas Coffin commented; “I own this unit. Had two auger fires.”

First, take the grate out and throw it in the garbage. You need to be able to push down on the pellets. Trust me...

Second, make sure the hopper is always full up of pellets and no voids.

3rd, always start with a clean fire box. No ash at all in the firepot.

The thing about the PB150 is how shallow the firebox is. They say keep it level.. Well, in my experience with this little guy, level stacks ash under the auger on top of the igniter, and a back burn happens.

What I do is get it going, then slightly elevate the hopper side legs. Not too much. Just a little. This allows the pellets to roll to the right side of the fire box away from the auger.

It's not orthodox, but I don't have this anymore as long as I keep an eye on the hopper to prevent voids..

Also, ramp up temp slowly, ramp down temp slowly. It can't really handle a massive pellet dump.

Seems to be hit or miss but some of these Pit Boss Tabletop come with a cover included. Mine did not. Researching the Blackstone 22" cover aftermarket on Amazon or an OG Pit Boss on sale in stores. works well. Quick scan of pricing seems to be around $20 for aftermarket

Link to Amazon 22" cover

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FS2D5C2/ref=sbl_dpx_m_outdoor-grills-covers_B0BQMS9T7L_0

Link to aftermarket cover no markings
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterpro...0C3lPXxwMPFHaw&athancid=949210044&athena=true

Last edited:
I had mine elevated on the left side all the time and the backburn will still randomly occur. Just keep this thing far away from your house or any structures.

So here we go . I'm five foot away from house.and traditional first cook-Fattys have begun. Cleaned out starter burn off ash with vacuum. Started clean incremental steps up to 275°> Caught Gnome watching.made sure checked twice that Fatty's were inside drop line for grease channel

Last edited:
This was about two hours of ash. Smoke setting up to 350 and back fowy

Last edited:
Not just you, bet everyone.Read everything you can about mistakes others have made with this cooker before you push the go button.. Watch the YouTube. Be familiar as possible before ever leaving the box. It makes noises, totally normal. Start up and shut down along with incremental increase/decrease in heat. Keep it clean. Start with lid open. Proper cool down. This is my third pellet and currently have two Pit Boss. Austin XL & the new Tabletop. I seldom leave them alone. I mean I don't sit and stare at it, but if I'm cooking and need to be gone a couple hours I'll use the drum. If an hour to two, the offset, 3-4 hours the Primo. But me or the Bride are in pretty close range of the pellet cookers when in use

Grease is draining via channels to spout. That means not draining inside toward firepot, which is bad

Last edited:
Back