Butt Sling for Grate-Free Pork Butts in Drum Smokers

Well, I figure the best way to see what happens is to try it on a real boston butt. I popped in the grocery store on my way home a picked up a nice looking 7.5lb butt. It was only $1.69/lb, so the risk/return seems acceptable. A smarter man would put a grate on the coal tray so if it falls, it'll get a bit toasty, but won't be covered in charcoal. I think I'll do that; I can't abide the thought of good pork hitting the coals.

Well, at any rate, the experiment is in progress. It went on at 2:30pm. I expect it'll be done around 7:30pm.

Any bets on whether it'll survive in one piece?

You could add a support to the bottom part of the sling to help hold it together. I'm thinking if you removed the handle from something like this, and used the "basket", it would give a lot of support.

Junkie

Butt Sling is spelled B U T T S L I N G correct?....or is it S L A N G to give it a southern flare?

Just want to get that right as I register and file the patent I just created on that.

Lol. I think the target market is "people crazy enough to hang a perfectly good pork butt by a sling", which is probably exactly 1 person.. and I've already got one:icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
I'm interested as well. I'm wondering if the cable wires will get so coated they really stick to the butt. And difficult to clean.
I was planing on trying on of my turkey/chicken swings with a pork shoulder soon. It goes straight thru the middle of the meat and rests on the "seat" section.

The wire doesn't really stick to the butt at all, but it does put a nice sear on it. The point about it being difficult to clean is a good one though, and I had been wondering about that myself. The first time I saw the "FireWire" kabob sticks I had the same thought. To the extent that surface area is the enemy of food safety, having a 49 strands of wire in a 7/7 config produces a lot of surface area. That said, I ran it through the dishwasher last night and it came out clean enough that I wouldn't have any reservations about using it again. Part of the reason is that unlike the "Firewire", which goes into the middle of a piece of meat potentially introducing pathogens into the cool center, the butt sling goes only on the outside and is exposed to 300 degree temps for several hours; no pathogen on this planet can survive even a few seconds at that temp.

Ultimately, the wire came out of the dishwasher cleaner than any grill grate I've ever owned, and I've never given a second thought to tossing a steak on some pretty gnarly looking grates. Still you raise a good point, and it's definitely harder to clean braided wire rope vs a solid wire. :icon_blush:

When I was brainstorming "butt hangers", I thought about a "T-spike", but the problem is that you never really know where the bone is going to be in a pork shoulder or boston butt. Some are nearly boneless, and some have the bone running right through the middle like mine did. The bone makes spike placement a bit trickier. Speaking of spikes though, one idea I had was to take an 8" long 3/6" thick, stainless steel toilet float rod, which is threaded on both ends, and pounding one end flat with a hammer to be 3/8" wide and 1/16" thick and then sharpening it and drilling a "hook hole" through the center. On the other end, I'd put a 3" in diameter stainless steel washer and a lock-nut. You skewer the butt with the pointy end, it would sit on the washer, and you'd hang the whole assembly using the standard PBC meat hook through the hole in the pointy end. Total cost would be about $5.00. I decided against it though because of the bone-placement issue, but I think if you are careful at the store, you can probably select a pork butt that won't present a bone issue just by squeezing a few. Let me know how it works for you!

I like the idea of the sling, maybe a smaller loop to keep the roast as high as possible in the pit. But I have visions of many butts coming off my pit that were so tender I had to use my super-sized spatula and a gloved hand to keep it in one piece long enough to get it onto a tray.

Cooking twine is a good idea too, or stainless wire... we use both to bind things to a rotisserie spit. There is also a product sold under many names, but it's a meat net. It's a mesh tube, kind of stretchy, and has 3/8 to 1/2 inch squares. It's better on something like a stuffed pork loin, but it might work on a butt.

Lol. Yeah, my sling was way too long for anything but a ham. :icon_blush:

If I had to do it again, I'd make the stainless a 2.75 feet rather than 4' long, which I think would be a good size for 90% of the pork butts I cook. To get it up a bit higher, I used the s-hook to look back around like this:

HQ2rO1I.jpg

I think you may be right about the problem that truly "fall apart" pork butt presents. I probably just got lucky on this cook. If I the meat had turned out truly "fall apart" tender, it may have spent some time on the safety grate!

The meat net idea is really intriguing to me. I didn't know that existed, but you can bet I'm going to try it! I like the idea of something that does the job with no clean-up. Thanks!

He's trying to keep the great bark produced by hanging a butt and skip the softening effects on that butt caused by wrapping it during the last part of the cook.

If he can keep the butt hanging until it reaches the pulling stage he will preserve space on his grill grate for other items.

That about sums it up! :icon_smile_tongue:

Although in my case it's a bit worse than that, because with the stock PBC, you have the option of hanging, or using the grate, but you can't do both at the same time. The only thing I've ever used the stock grate for is for taking foil wrapped pork butt from 165 to "probe tender".

You can buy 50/50 split hinged grate from PBC for $30 plus shipping, or you can buy a stock grate for $10 and cut half of the grates off, but that only gets you to 50% hanging space. 2 weeks ago, I wanted to do two 6lb chickens hanging on one side, 10lbs of pork butt, and a couple racks of ribs. Basically I needed a 1/4 grate and 3/4 space for hanging. That made me starting about why I need a grate at all.

You could add a support to the bottom part of the sling to help hold it together. I'm thinking if you removed the handle from something like this, and used the "basket", it would give a lot of support.

I agree. Actually, the first idea I had was to buy this for $10 with shipping from amazon. It's made from 304 stainless and it even folds up to boot! That seemed too easy though, and I like to tinker. I was trying to brainstorm the simplest most basic way to solve the problem when I started thinking about slings. I didn't like how flimsy it looked. I'm sure it would last a fair number of cooks, but I'd like something a bit more heavy duty. I also knew I could make the sling for $2.88, and I was really curious if it could work!

aHVd5EQ.jpg

AsLa1Tm.jpg

For version 2.0, I envision a 7"x7" piece of heavy gauge stainless steel hardware cloth with a 1/2" grid. I'd put a slight saddle bend to it so it cradled the pork butt a bit. Each of the 4 corners would be connected to stainless steel chain (two lengths of chain total that are 14" in length). You'd lay the pork butt on the wire rack, and the stock PBC S-hook to hook into the two pieces of chain giving you a 6"-7" of clearance for the butt.

This would be way more stable than just a sling, and not much more expensive. The solid chain would also be much easier to keep clean and sanitary than a 7/7 wire rope. It would also be much easier to run through the dishwasher. It would be heavy duty enough to last for many, many years.

I agree. Actually, the first idea I had was to buy this for $10 with shipping from amazon. It's made from 304 stainless and it even folds up to boot! That seemed too easy though, and I like to tinker. I was trying to brainstorm the simplest most basic way to solve the problem when I started thinking about slings. I didn't like how flimsy it looked. I'm sure it would last a fair number of cooks, but I'd like something a bit more heavy duty. I also knew I could make the sling for $2.88, and I was really curious if it could work!

For version 2.0, I envision a 7"x7" piece of heavy gauge stainless steel hardware cloth with a 1/2" grid. I'd put a slight saddle bend to it so it cradled the pork butt a bit. Each of the 4 corners would be connected to stainless steel chain (two lengths of chain total that are 14" in length). You'd lay the pork butt on the wire rack, and the stock PBC S-hook to hook into the two pieces of chain giving you a 6"-7" of clearance for the butt.

This would be way more stable than just a sling, and not much more expensive. The solid chain would also be much easier to keep clean and sanitary than a 7/7 wire rope. It would also be much easier to run through the dishwasher. It would be heavy duty enough to last for many, many years.

Just saw this slickdeals: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01A51S...c24b30196ae70INT&sdsrc=staff&sa-no-redirect=1

81xMD1p5TML._SL1500_.jpg

With coupon code YT8EBNZ3 it's $6.99 today. Looks like it's much more stable than the strainer and made from stainless, and about the same size as you were looking at.

Just saw this slickdeals: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01A51S...c24b30196ae70INT&sdsrc=staff&sa-no-redirect=1

81xMD1p5TML._SL1500_.jpg

With coupon code YT8EBNZ3 it's $6.99 today. Looks like it's much more stable than the strainer and made from stainless, and about the same size as you were looking at.

Yup, I looked at those too, and it's just so damn cool it'd be a sin not to do it. What's more awesome than a chainmail hammock/underpants for you pork butt??? Absolutely nothing is. The mother of all conversation starters... The trouble is that all those little rings is that I think they would really mess with the bark.

I'm thinking of ordering one anyway because I'm really curious to see how it cleans my cast iron. There are a bazillion reviews that suggest it's the best thing since sliced bread. If I get one, I might do a test run with it on a pork butt to see what it does. Who knows, it might wind up creating a really cool super-seared bark on the bottom, but I think it would just rub most of it off.

Just as a heads up, the original is called "The Ringer"l, and it's still made in North America (Canada I think). 5000+ Amazon reviews can't be wrong!

https://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Origi...87&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=chainmail+scrubber

Last edited:
I actually found the perfect base for the Butt Sling v2 (trademark & patent pending!). It's has all the characteristics I'm look for:

Under $10.00
304 Stainless Steel
Heavy Gauge Wire
Welded (not woven)
Extra-Wide Spacing to Minimize Bark Damage
8" Footprint

You'll never guess in a million years what this curious and rare piece of hardware was originally designed to do. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...!!!

N82iTsL.jpg

It's exactly 8" in diameter which would support all but the biggest pork butts, and allow more than one to be hung on a single side of a drum. It's upside down in the picture, but you can see the 4 "hangers" which are spaced at 6" wide and 6"across . All you need is something non-flammable to hang it with. I'm making one the second it arrives!

Last edited:
He's trying to keep the great bark produced by hanging a butt and skip the softening effects on that butt caused by wrapping it during the last part of the cook.

If he can keep the butt hanging until it reaches the pulling stage he will preserve space on his grill grate for other items.

The second sentence above is the only reason I see to hang anything...ribs especially. Otherwise, I don't get it either.

As to the first sentence in the quote above...I don't know why you have to wrap one if you don't want to...just because you use a grate doesn't mean you have to wrap.

The only thing I see with the hanging that is different than the norm, other than the hanging itself, is you are cooking direct. It's funny to me that people go so out of their way to make all kinds of deflectors for a UDS, but seem to be ok with cooking direct in a PBC. It's the exact same cooking apparatus! LoL

The second sentence above is the only reason I see to hang anything...ribs especially. Otherwise, I don't get it either.

As to the first sentence in the quote above...I don't know why you have to wrap one if you don't want to...just because you use a grate doesn't mean you have to wrap.

The only thing I see with the hanging that is different than the norm, other than the hanging itself, is you are cooking direct. It's funny to me that people go so out of their way to make all kinds of deflectors for a UDS, but seem to be ok with cooking direct in a PBC. It's the exact same cooking apparatus! LoL

The trouble with my stock PBC is that I can cook with a grate or I can hang, or but I can't do both at once.

Example: Let's say I have a brisket that will take 6 hrs, and a pork butt that will take 6hrs and 3 racks of ribs that will take 4.5hrs. Dinner is at 6:00pm. At 5:00pm, with my stock PBC I need to take my pork butt out, wrap and put it on a grate. That's not possible however, because my brisket and ribs still need to hang.

Proposed Solution: Us a butt sling, or hang a small grate for the pork butt.

Like you said, whether or not you wrap the pork butt is a matter of personal preference, but a way to hang a pork butt means you don't run into problems when you have a mix of hanging and grate foods cooking at the same time. Also, I just like to tinker and make weird stuff...:-D

I would be afraid to use a sling.

I pulled a butt off my UDS that split into 5 pieces, each of which did an inverse 2 and a half backflip onto the ground, followed by a barrel roll, while my neighbor was watching.

And that was using a grate.

Well i guess you know everything there is to know about that.

Like im sure you know that most standard uds setups call for no diffusers. That Smokey drippings effect is what some upright drum and pbc covet.

And im sure your also well aware that besides increased capacity hanging ribs, this goes for chicken as well, it changes how the heat contacts the meat. In a tradition setup (actually the grill grate is more American than worldwide tradition but i digress) ribs take the brunt of the heat broadside. When hanging only one bone does. This allows for a hotter temp without as much risk for burning up and faster cook times.

Furthermore hanging and spinning meat is cool. All around the world it is done....and its been done like that long before the first grill grate was welded

We'll end todays lesson right here. Stayed tuned for tomorrows lesson: mops; they're not just for the floor

Well i guess you know everything there is to know about that.

Like im sure you know that most standard uds setups call for no diffusers. That Smokey drippings effect is what some upright drum and pbc covet.

And im sure your also well aware that besides increased capacity hanging ribs, this goes for chicken as well, it changes how the heat contacts the meat. In a tradition setup (actually the grill grate is more American than worldwide tradition but i digress) ribs take the brunt of the heat broadside. When hanging only one bone does. This allows for a hotter temp without as much risk for burning up and faster cook times.

Furthermore hanging and spinning meat is cool. All around the world it is done....and its been done like that long before the first grill grate was welded

We'll end todays lesson right here. Stayed tuned for tomorrows lesson: mops; they're not just for the floor

Yep...aware of everything you stated. I know the original UDS is designed for no diffuser...yet everyone tries to make one. I guess very few people like the traditional taste of barbecued meat.

I can understand the desire to hang...just not the need. The 'cool' factor trumps all.

I cook sans the water pan in my WSM quite often. Reminds me of "home".

Being from one of the few places in the US that still celebrates it's heritage of direct heat cooking I fully understand everything you stated. Thanks!

I actually found the perfect base for the Butt Sling v2 (trademark & patent pending!). It's has all the characteristics I'm look for:

Under $10.00
304 Stainless Steel
Heavy Gauge Wire
Welded (not woven)
Extra-Wide Spacing to Minimize Bark Damage
8" Footprint

You'll never guess in a million years what this curious and rare piece of hardware was originally designed to do. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...!!!

N82iTsL.jpg

It's exactly 8" in diameter which would support all but the biggest pork butts, and allow more than one to be hung on a single side of a drum. It's upside down in the picture, but you can see the 4 "hangers" which are spaced at 6" wide and 6"across . All you need is something non-flammable to hang it with. I'm making one the second it arrives!

That has some serious possibilities. What is the Amazon description so I can check it out?

That has some serious possibilities. What is the Amazon description so I can check it out?

Sorry about that. The item description is "T&B Air Fryer Rack Cooking Steaming Cooling Multi-Purpose 304 Stainless Steel Round Rack". I guess it kind of figures that a roasting rack would tick all the boxes, it just needs to be flipped the right way up and it's ready out of the box!:-D Here is a direct link:

https://www.amazon.com/Steaming-Multi-Purpose-Stainless-Cookware-Pressure/dp/B06XJH49WY

They come in a 7" size and an 8" size. I'm getting one of each size shipped prime for only $12.99 total. That's basically free in my book! They're coming on Saturday and I can't wait to rig one up.

I can already hear my wife saying "why on earth are you cooking another pork butt when we have 5 lbs in the freezer???". Sometimes I'm not sure my wife understands the importance of adequate pork supply or the rigors of this sort of scientific research... :-D

N82iTsL.jpg

The one thing I can't figure out is what to hang it on... :sad:

The thing I don't like about braided stainless cable is that it's a bit tricky to keep clean. If you've ever cleaned the cable on a thermo probe, you know what I mean. There's just so much surface area and so many places for grime and grit to hide. The cable is dishwasher safe, so that helps a ton, but it'd be nice to have something that stayed nice and shiny without a lot of fuss.

I'd like to use a lightweight stainless steel chain but I'm having a hard time finding something lightweight and inexpensive. Stainless jack chain would fit the bill, but the smallest quantity I can find to order is 50'. Most of the other stainless chain I've been finding is massive with a price tag to match.

Anybody know a good source for small, lightweight, stainless steel chain? Preferably, it would be unsoldered, because it'll probably be coming from China, and they might be using a combo of lead/mercury/unobtanium in the solder, and that wouldn't be so great at 350 degrees in contact with food. It only needs to hold a few pounds so even 1mm would probably do the job.

The one thing I can't figure out is what to hang it on... :sad:

The thing I don't like about braided stainless cable is that it's a bit tricky to keep clean. If you've ever cleaned the cable on a thermo probe, you know what I mean. There's just so much surface area and so many places for grime and grit to hide. The cable is dishwasher safe, so that helps a ton, but it'd be nice to have something that stayed nice and shiny without a lot of fuss.

I'd like to use a lightweight stainless steel chain but I'm having a hard time finding something lightweight and inexpensive. Stainless jack chain would fit the bill, but the smallest quantity I can find to order is 50'. Most of the other stainless chain I've been finding is massive with a price tag to match.

Anybody know a good source for small, lightweight, stainless steel chain? Preferably, it would be unsoldered, because it'll probably be coming from China, and they might be using a combo of lead/mercury/unobtanium in the solder, and that wouldn't be so great at 350 degrees in contact with food. It only needs to hold a few pounds so even 1mm would probably do the job.

Does it have to be chain? What about just a solid stainless wire, instead of stranded? Harbor Freight has this: https://m.harborfreight.com/0041-in...il-8895.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

I'm sure there are thicker gauges available from other vendors, that was just the first result for me.

Solid stainless wire would definitely work and you sure can't beat the price/ft, but I think it would be a bit more fiddly. I like that chain is more flexible, and has the nice feature of built in size adjustment to accommodate the slack in different size pieces of meat. You might want a bit more slack to accommodate a big 10lb pork butt, but you might want to raise it up a bit for a little 3 pounder. In all cases, you want the pyramid of chain in contact with the meat squeezing it a bit to keep it pinned into place, which is easy to do with a 10 pounder, but would require some adjustment with a 3 pounder. I cook everything in between so I'm keen on adjustability.

Put differently, damn near anything would work, but the cats meow for me would be a small stainless steel chain that will be a breeze to keep clean, will last forever, adjust easily, and will look spiffy out tailgating. :-D

Back