Brisket/Spares-Live Cook

Bigr314

Babbling Farker
Going to smoke a brisket and 2 racks of spares today.

The brisket is a small 13 pound packer that is seasoned with SPOG. I will be smoking at 275 today( that is where the Shirley is running right now) using cherry splits.The brisket went on at 7:15 this morning.

One rack of spare is going to be Sweet and Spicy Asian, and the other rack is going to be Jamaican Jerk. The Asian spares have a rub of salt/brown sugar/Chinese 5 spice/black pepper and ground ginger. I am going to glaze them with Thai chili sweet and spicy sauce. The 2nd rack of spares are going to be Jamaican Jerk. I used Island Spice jerk seasoning for the rub. Very good and lots of heat.I plan to glaze them maybe with honey at the end to cut some of the heat for the wife. The spares will be cooking at 275 with cherry splits also. The Shirley is dialed in at 275 today. That is where we will roll. More to follow. Ribs will be going on the pit in about 4 hours.

Getting a nice coal bed started.
image_zpsmfjwgljd.jpeg

The brisket 12 pounds,a rub of SPOG. If you notice,it came with a nice little slice all the way down one length.
image_zpsdwj3afqr.jpeg

image_zpsosrhrxei.jpeg

image_zpsm8mtfacl.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Can't wait to see the results.

The ribs sound delicious. Let us know how you liked the rubs on both racks, please!

That brisky is gonna have a nice bark!

They look delicious Ron! I love the sound of your flavor combination. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out!

Ribs 2 hours in starting to get some color.

image_zpsl7tmfnen.jpeg

Brisket is 6.5 hours in. Getting close. IT up to 198. Still not probe tender in flat.Point is nice and probe tender. Cooker been running closer to 300. just going with it.

Spares after 4 hours. The Asian ribs have better color so far.

image_zpscafwuzvf.jpeg

Brisket is just about ready to take off cooker. Maybe 15 more minutes.

Sauced and back on the cooker to finish up.

image_zpsznitvdfs.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice cook. Doing some pork steaks cooked for a few hours over pecan and then put in sauce in a pan and covered for a few more hours until we are ready to eat. Of course the wife had me throw some chicken breasts on for her lunch salads at work this week. sorry no pics too lazy today.

Back