THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gjertsen

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
John
I have a 19.25lb. USDA Prime brisket (from Costco) and my understanding is that @ 225F I should account for 1.25hrs/pound, wrapping at the stall (165 degrees or thereabout).

I only just got it in the smoker at 9pm, and if that math is right, that's unfortunately going to make it ready to get off the smoker at T+24 hours! Oops... I need to have this ready to serve for dinner tomorrow.

1. I carved off 4 pounds of extra fat from the packer. Does that brisket math of 1.25 hours/pound account for the pre-trimmed weight, or the post-trimmed weight?

2. If I need to speed this up by turning the smoker up to 250, should I do that now, or after the wrap?

Thank you in advance for your help, breathren!!

Prime is more forgiving. I like to reach 175F and hold overnight (8 hours or more) You don't need to reach 200+ , you just need to reach a temp that starts breaking down fat (175F) and hold it there for enough time. Wrapping is a must. Or you will end up with dry brisket.

If you’re using a pellet grill with a diffuser plate in close proximity to the grate you’re cooking the brisket on, AND you cook it at higher temps (250-275*+) be careful the radiant heat from the metal diffuser plate does not scorch the underneath of your brisket. Guessing I’d you’re “turning the smoker up” it’s probably a pellet grill?

275 and boat it at 165. Spray once an hour. Probe tender. Slide in oven at 170 and hold till dinner

Back