THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Ok.... now that I got your attention, let me just say that I will NEVER EVER,and I repeat NEVER, EVER buy another brand of ham, unless it’s for a comparison (ie another higher end/higher quality pork product).

This thing was a beast. I ordered a 20 lb’er from compart and idk how much it really weighed, but it took 3.5 hrs at 275 on the wsm. I used an aluminum pan on the lower rack with apple juice. No spritz. 2 smaller cherry chunks for smoke. BandB hickory lump for charcoal.

For the glaze I used 1 stick of butter, and as it melted, added 2 cups of brown sugar. When that was sticky, I added 1/4 cup Woodford Reserve bourbon and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup. Once the alcohol was burned off, I added 1/2 cup crushed pecans and removed from heat. Then added 1/2 cup apple juice and another stick of butter pre chopped to melt faster. I glazed at 135 and pulled at 140. Loosely wrapped in foil in over for 30 min to rest.

Carved and sliced. Oddly enough, it is gosh darned hard to find a good “whole bone in ham carving tutorial” on the good old inter webs. I did my best to debone and slice against the grain (kind of like a turkey and/or brisket).

Literally everyone at our Easter stated it was the best ham they’ve ever had. However, the glaze didn’t shine through. In that I was disappointed, but other ham that it was perfect.

On a side note, I’m tired of my wsm and can’t wait for my hunsaker to come in. Ordered one on Friday!!!! My issues are that it won’t shut down. It’s effected by wind (I live along a corn field so this is a big issue for me). Lack of portability (I wheel it in and out of garage). No I’m not selling, just griping lol

Attachments

• E2396124-CFFD-4FF2-854C-93311E62662D.jpg
    E2396124-CFFD-4FF2-854C-93311E62662D.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 9199FAD5-9231-430B-A04B-0B35CBD36392.jpg
    9199FAD5-9231-430B-A04B-0B35CBD36392.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 73
Back