bought my first butt...help needed

Bone does wiggle but didnt come out. Beautiful bark. Earlier today i read about cross hatching and saw a couple of vids on "hot & fast" butt.....what is cross hatching?

If its what I'm thinking some People cut small squares in the meat. I've never tired. Maybe more bark or smoke.

why dont you post some pics of your cooker.

I cant imagine using that much coal for one cook. Did you have to empty ashes during the cook?

I have never heard of cold burning charcoal. Something seems weird here.

why dont you post some pics of your cooker.

I cant imagine using that much coal for one cook. Did you have to empty ashes during the cook?

I have never heard of cold burning charcoal. Something seems weird here.

So this is my cooker on a normal day...facing east-to-west. But today, due to cold temps i had tp face north-to-south

20130209_090302_zpse2ed25f6.jpg

At the 7 hour mark the IT was 180°F so i wrapped it and stuck it in the oven at 275°F and ill pull it when it reaches 195+ and putting in cooler w/ towels for at least 90 min+. it looks so good

It may be too late, but don't take it out of the oven at 195 unless it probes tender. Focusing on a specific internal temp will more than likely result in the butt nor being cooked properly. Cook it until the bone wiggles freely or your probe slides in easily in several places.

It may be too late, but don't take it out of the oven at 195 unless it probes tender. Focusing on a specific internal temp will more than likely result in the butt nor being cooked properly. Cook it until the bone wiggles freely or your probe slides in easily in several places.

I did not try to pull the bone after the internal temperatures reach 195 degrees. I did try to probe it in several spots on top or below the bone and it went in like butter

Humm...wonder how much damage i did....30 min in the cooler, i opened it and was able to pull a bone so easy.

20130228_165600_zpsb13937b9.jpg

That may be the case...for cooks 1-3 i had a nice seal but i notice today that the door with leaking a lot more smoke them before. So I wrapped in foil paper the door seals.

ahhhh I see the problem

its that 20 lb heat sink you have on your cooker door LOL

I am so upset....i fell asleep after having too much to drink. My wife pulled the pork :( she knows me too well and took a pic. I just ate 2 sandwhiches. It was the best ever!

20130228_192254_zpse4123a4c.jpg

20130228_230142_zpsd46208c9.jpg

20130228_225736_zpsd1e8cf5c.jpg

Back