Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe

I have owned, or currently own Akorn, Kamado Joe, Kamado K7 and Primo. The Primo's split cooking system is mirrored by the Kamado Joe's divide and conquer system (which you get included in the price, as versus paying extra for the parts with a primo). Of the units I have sampled, the Kamado Joe had the highest quality. The primo arrived missing the lid handle, two securing holes drilled in the upper damper (should be only one, mis-manufactured at Primo and not corrected), The ceramic feet varied in height by a large margin, which caused the primo to "rock" if 4 feet were used, Killed the gasket at the first 600 degree cook, came from the factory with a cracked firebox, has a flexy hinge which lifts assymetrically, the optionally purchased diffuser plates were of inconsistent thickness and shape, etc.
For those who get a good Primo from the factory, they love them. For everyone else, Primo does not mean premium quality. A unit like mine should have never shipped out the door if the company had working quality control. Also keep in mind that Primo expects the purchaser to pay for warranty shipping (according to Primo's website). Take the time to read the terms, conditions and exclusions to the posted warranty of all the brands you are considering.

So you there is enough room to effectively cook indirect with joe's divide and conquer setup? Leaning towards the joe classic 18" to finally get a coal griller.

I have the Big Joe, which is a larger space than the classic to be divided. That said, on it there is plenty of room to cook burgers/steaks indirect and move them to direct for the final sear. I feed a family of 5 (all 19 or older). I would say it might be tight for a family of 4 on the classic, with the split system in place (direct/indirect) on the classic, but it is doable.

I own three kamado joes now. I wanted the BGE but after all the research I went with KJ. Primo seems loved on this forum, perhaps because of the made in the USA draw. The truth is there are several concerns with primo that would limit me from buying them.

I have seen several reports of hinge issues, in fact primo has created new parts that you can buy to assist with hinge bracket issues. Several domes have loosened an fallen out of the brackets and they have bent bolts that Primo says is part of their design (don't buy that one)
But that is just me, it is a great cooker and so many people are very pleased with there purchase.

As for warranty, BGE and Primo you pay to ship warranty. BGE you need to deal with a dealer network for parts as well.

With KJ, You send an email and you get a free shipped part within the week. I have seen the owner of the company on several BBQ forums, answering questions and giving his personal cell phone and email when people have issues. You deal with the company direct and it takes away the BS. FYI KJ is lifetime warranty as well unlike what someone else posted.

BGE and KJ are very similar however, BGE has been around longer. They have the cult following so they get the higher price point. Its like Mac.... you pay for the brand!!

Anyways, I went with KJ because of warranty, customer service, price it is cheaper than BGE being the new kid on the block. KJ is all in you get the cart, tables, tools etc etc where as the BGE is al a carte so to speak and more expensive.

The other big draw is that KJ is leading in innovation. BGE hasn't changed its design in years and that platesetter can be a pain in the neck. KJ give you the divide and concur flexible cooking rack, split deflectors, woks, dutch ovens etc.

After all that I will say that they are all very equal by way of what they produce. Its the cook, this is just a tool. You can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned. Your question was what would you prefer and why so that is my opinion, I am not trying to slam any other brand!!

Good luck, you will love whatever one you wind up with

40060DCD-E586-4190-8D34-80BD83B1A893.jpg

Now I am torn again last night went to bed big green egg but now maybe kamado joe I don't know... No more vision grills though. Primo not up my alley as it sounds like vision grills you love them or you hate them. I am done with that taking a risk for the possibility I might love it. Also, about the cook being the important part yeah to an extent but a tool can make a cook more likely to succeed. I cook better on my vision grills than my other ones it seems to just cook better.

I forced myself to consider the KJ in all honesty. I am a brand loyal guy and BGE sold me!!! I kept telling myself that the BGE was the cooker to get. When I started looking at ceramics seriously I finally decided to compare the units side by side.

My local store had an XL BGE and a Big Joe KJ side by side. I went in and the guy was like this BGE is the best thing since sliced bread and we sell BGE 5 to KJ 1. I did something though. I played with them right there. I fell in love with the KJ sight on seen. I felt that the KJ was a more robust build, the hinge system on the kj is superior to BGE. This sentiment has been shared with many members at the kamadoguru.com website.

I also noticed that the ceramic was thicker and the side tables, nest, and tools were included in the price. I really thought to heck with popular brand, I can save money and get all these extras. The final thing was the divide and concur compared to a platesetter. That was the tie breaker. The opportunities that the divide and concur provide is amazing. I have seen so many egg owners buying the divide system for their BGE!

oh and the best part...... kJ is about to release their rotisserie for the classic and big joe!!! A ceramic rotisserie!!!!!! forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck on your purchase, check out the kamadoguru.com website several members here are also members there. Tons of great info to help you decide.

But like everyone says over there, what ever you get... get it soon and start cooking!!!

I am sure I will stop in as I am a new member over there. I am going to get as many different views and as much information as I can because for me I always get cheap smokers and grills nothing wrong with it but it is never exactly what I want and they never meet my needs fully. Every single one has a purpose but you know but we need to condense at least according to my wife so I am using that to boost the idea that a kamado is the all in one to get rid of a majority of my grills and smokers. Not saying I will get rid of them... Just saying I could. Lol.

once I got a kamado, I knew that was it for me. I got rid of my WSM, OTG kettle and upright electric smoker. I only use the kamado.... but now I have three of them lol

Yeah kamados are pretty amazing. I mean really they are perfect for where I live. The only uninsulated grill that can compete is the weber kettle grill and only because of the ash sweeper otherwise in winter it would be dead in the water. I love my kettles. Very easy to operate and cheap and you can burn any type of charcoal you want. Kamados though have low fuel consumption and are so easy to operate and no using an ash sweeper. Plus they just look awesome. I am just drawn to kamados. My cooks improved on my vision my rubs aren't burning so easily. I can't wait to take my kamados to a competition some day.

I have the XL BGE and the small. Love both of them. I'm not sure why people say that you have to pay for shipping with warranty claims for BGE because I never have had to do that.

Both the BGE and Kamado Joe will serve your needs. The only thing that I didn't like about the KJ was the handle which seemed to be too sharp and cut into my hand when using it. Just a minor thing.

I have a BigJoe and LOVE IT.

The Joe warranty/CS is way better based on what you read in other forums.

The felt on the joe gasket blows away nomex. I have seen reviews on other forums where people take a torch to nomex and KJ gaskets. There is a clear winner!

KJ is more inovative, look at the D&C rack, SS hardware and the upcoming rotisserie accessory.

KJ s the best dollar value.

KJ has no bare CI to rust, everything is stainless or powder coated.

I spend 8 months thinking long and hard before I purchased my Joe. I have had it for over a year, and I wish I had a second one.

Rusty, the reason I choose to go with Kamado Joe over BGE:

- Both Kamado Joe and BGE have lifetime warranties
- Kamado Joe has stainless hardware that will not rust
- Kamado Joe comes with the divide and conquer rack offering more versatility than the egg
- Kamado Joe has a superior heavy duty hinge
- Kamado Joe has a better cart design
- Kamado Joe has a superior heat defector design that does a better Job protecting the edges of the meat
- Kamado Joe has a much faster response time on service parts vs BGE
- Kamado Joe is doing more to innovate the Kamado industry vs BGE and Primo
- Kamado Joe has a superior gasket design with a tighter seal between the dome and the base than the Egg. Kamado Joe uses a 1/8 inch high temp gasket that will take 1000F out of the box. The BGE gasket will fail, ergo why so many eggheads have to use Rutland gaskets. The OEM BGE gaskets can't take the heat.
- If you decide you're going to build your own table, the Kamado Joe comes with a stainless vent and stainless handle in the standalone units.
- The heavy duty thicker gage stainless grates are superior to the BGE. The grates come in half-moon shapes. Out of the box, you can do reverse sears.
- the Joe comes with a firebox divider, ash tool, 2 half moon deflectors, X-Rack for pizza and dutch ovens, split half moon racks, divide and conquer rack for flexible cooking. You'd have to spend another $900 USD on the Egg to get those add-on's from BGE and the ceramic grill store.

I understand where you're coming from. I would drop Primo off the list given their consistent issues with poor glaze application when compared to BGE and KJ, wobbly fireboxs, domes falling out of their rims, ect...They'll cover those issues but they don't seem to be doing anything to address those issues in new models.

Hey- the OP wanted to compare KJ to BGE. Some of us respected that. I come back and it's a "bash Primo" thread- fark that. Primo is The Boss. Made in USA.
Not in Mexico-Not in China. But THE USA. Nuff said. Now back to KJ versus BGE

Caveat: if OP steered thread into a three way, my apologies-carry on

Last edited:
I am considering the Large BGE. that said I have a 22" weber kettle that I smoke in. Is the BGE worth the price? What about the Weber Smokey?
Thanks guys
Mark

DAMMIT!!!! I don't need a ceramic cooker!!! But reading this thread has made me start researching them. When I start researching something, I usually end up buying it. Arrgghhh!!!! I see an additional expenditure in my future.

Hey- the OP wanted to compare KJ to BGE. Some of us respected that. I come back and it's a "bash Primo" thread- fark that. Primo is The Boss. Made in USA.
Not in Mexico-Not in China. But THE USA. Nuff said. Now back to KJ versus BGE

Caveat: if OP steered thread into a three way, my apologies-carry on
Hold it chill what in the world just happened here? What's this all about? Like I said either you love primo or you hate them same as vision grills. I don't love nor do I hate primo as I don't own one nor have I ever cooked with one. I would say the one at grill store is top notch quality to look at it but still there are enough negative comments online to make me not want one. It's a personal choice is all nothing against primo but the original question is big green egg or kamado joe. Not Primo. I ruled them out awhile ago. Just not for me. No offense is meant. If you were offended by me I do apologize to you but I don't really understand what you mean by me steering into a three way. I am not intending to start an argument other than a civil discussion of big green egg vs kamado joe as in why is one better than the other. What is better about either of them? Not a bash primo thread. I am asking people to refrain from primo discussion good or bad because I would rather not have this turn into a bash thread just big green egg vs kamado joe. I am not telling anyone what to do before someone jumps down my throat about telling them what to do I am asking for civility. It has happened before in other areas where people assume they know what I mean or think they know what I am doing. You don't know that I meant any comments to be negative it may just not be worded correctly or I may not have thought how a comment reads to someone else. Please don't take offense to my comments and if it bothers you please pm me and ask me to clarify what I meant so that any topics stay on topic. 9/10 it is a misunderstanding and I may not have meant it the way it reads. It just makes me look like a troll when you flip out on me or imply I intend to start an argument. I am a brethren and a paying member not a troll why would a troll donate money to a place to help or spend time here? I try to contribute and I try to be a member in good standing. I ask that I be treated as a brethren and if you feel offended by something I have said please pm me about it so we can talk civily and we can keep the threads on topic. I am not a bad person. I am not perfect and I have argued at points back but I would say majority of the time it is a misunderstanding that we can work out civily without destroying a perfectly good topic. Our mods work hard enough around here without having to go and moderate a pissing match. So any time your offended send the person that offended you a civil pm and try and work it out. Now please let's get back on topic of big green egg vs kamado joe. Thanks guys for listening to my rant and thanks for positively contributing. *off the soap box*

I just went though this same decision myself. I went back and forth between KJ or BGE for the Jr./Mini/MiniMaxx. In the end I went with the KJ and am very happy with it. I agree with the others that have said you get more for your money with KJ, all the extras being included. My only wish is that it had ci grates. I may be in the minority though that prefer ci grates to the stainless, but my BSK has ci grates and I've really grown to love them.

I do dig the oval design of the Primo. Haven't had a chance to see one up close to judge the quality.

The only real difference between the KJ and egg is simple rusty.

- Fit and Finsh = Kamado Joe
- Included Accessories = Kamado Joe
- Price = Kamado Joe once you factor in included accessories
- Warranty = Same
- Customer Service = KJ has a slight edge
- Ceramic Quality = Same
- Number of Years in business = BGE 43 vs KJ = 7
- Sales BGE for now but KJ is catching up quickly

How good your briskets will be, that's 100% on you.

I also went through the mental anguish of which ceramic kamado to buy a couple of years ago when when I wanted to make the move.

I was sold on the BGE and Kamado Joe was still pretty new at the time and this was before they released the divide and conquer option. An acquaintance from Louisiana sung high praises about Kamado Joe and convinced me to give it a try.

two years and a Big Joe, Classic and Junior later, I'm very satisfied on all of the points that the others have listed. I do a 26# Thanksgiving Turkey each year on the Big Joe and it comes out perfectly year after year.

good luck and happy cooking!!

Back