Best Knife Sets

I used to work at Sur La Table and used all of the knives a lot. I LOVED the Kramer's styles they carry but they aren't cheap. I have a Shun 10" chefs knife I love and used almost every day but I also have a Victorinox boning knife and slicer I use for my BBQ prep and slicing. Biggest issue is getting the knife in your hand and working with it and find one you like within your budget. Sur La Table used to let people try it before they buy it so you should ask if they have any veggies you can work on before you buy. As others have said, don't buy a set rather buy individual knives you like the best for their purpose. Be sure to buy a honing steel if you don't already have one and use it every time before you use your knife. Good quality knives that you take good care of will last many, many years.

I could never take a job at Sur La Table, I actually avoid entire areas of a City to not go near there.

Global Kinives

I would recommend not buying a set either....I would try Global. Japanese so serious edge. Easy to maintain and relatively reasonable. Most Chefs know or use these. I have a bunch of other Japanese knives which I like..but Global I love. http://www.global-knife.com/. You can find them on ebay as well.

Those Kramer knives are not actually made by THE Bob Kramer. A real Kramer knife is in the thousands of dollars. Good luck getting one!

Shun and Henckles offer a Bob Kramer in name only knife. I tried one out, for me nice, but not worth the cost. Very pretty looking though.

Also re: Global - a lot of people like them, but I think even more don't like them - they can be pretty polarizing. Try one before you buy one.

GESSHIN GINGA 210MM STAINLESS WA-GYUTO
I used a lot of different knives: wustof, global, kusami, shun, and many others that cooks have had in the different restaurants I've worked. The Gesshin Ginga is a "laser" meaning it's very thin behind the edge. If you not looking to chop bones the knife begs you to cut faster. It's the best knife I've used to date. For cutting bones I use a old shun.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...o/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

I love my Wusthof knives and I got a some Bakers and Chefs knives for my wife so she wouldn't use them. I end up using the Bakers and Chefs knives because it's too much trouble to get my Wusthofs out. They are razor sharp and the handles are comfortable. They are fairly easy to sharpen, but it you don't want to bother, just replace them since they are less than $20 each.

Once you have enough knowledge and experience you will learn a few realities.
There is no such thing as a good knife set.
People recommend brand from marketing and price and forum generated gossip followed by the powerful psychological justification of needing to be a proud owner.
The thing you laid out bucks for is proof of your good taste and knowledge.

Choose a task you want the tool for, then research the design and steel of the tools good for that task and buy the best you can afford, each choice brand independant and task specific.
Global use an appalingly soft stainless steel and a really crappy handle design yet they are a big big brand.
See what I mean?
Shun, I can point you to a higher quality tool for every task you wish for at least %30 less, sometimes %60, and with better designed handles.
Spend some time.
Enjoy the rresearch.
It is worth it.
HTH

My buddy Andy Groneman always says that for BBQ all you need is 4 knives: boning, chef, slicer and paring. I would add that a santoku is nice too. :thumb:

I received the Wusthof Bbq knife set as a gift, sort of, and would recommend it as a nice starter set. Add a Dexter 9" flexible boning knife, a nice steel, and you have a very strong knife set for the bbq trail.
They stay sharp, and won't break the bank or your heart if you damage them.
I still carry way too many knives but I use these the most.

I'm not sure I really buy the hype on knives. It reminds me of watches a little bit. They all do the same job, get the same results and if you look after them, even a relatively cheap set should last a very long time.

I have a block set of cheap Hampton forge I've had a good few years and use the pairing knife daily! It is still sharp as hell and I don't sharpen it very often.

Great gifts for people are good knives but I wouldn't be spending hundreds on them as I don't see the value other than bragging rights.

Each to their own.

Back