Best Fillet Knife Length?

Go with the 9 inch knife. If for any reason, just that bit more flex in the blade.

If you aren't going to be using it to mainly filet Fish.....a 6" stiff Boning Knife from Dexter or Victorinox will probably work out a lot better for you.

A fillet knife is a working knife. Advantages are shape and grip for a good hand feel, length based on how big of a fish (or wide of a brisket) you are working on, and flexibility. Because a fillet knife can double as a boning knife or for trimming up silver skin, I don't think one size fits all.

This is the shape I prefer, both of these are are breakdown models.

xZM0Kl2.jpg

A small one like this is essential for stream fish, and for things like lollipop drumsticks. Rapala makes a wooden handle version of this same knife that I prefer.

Ti6Pk67.jpg

The one of the top can handle a good sized fish, I have it's little brother also.

i90a6z2.jpg

All that said a semi-flexible boning knife the one on the bottom can be a multi task knife.

en9DEkH.jpg

I guess I'm looking for a "one size fits all" knife. I'm looking in that $60 price range and Amazon makes it easier. Is a more curved edge better?

I guess I'm looking for a "one size fits all" knife. I'm looking in that $60 price range and Amazon makes it easier. Is a more curved edge better?
Is this going in the wood block on the counter? If not, I'd also suggest Dexter and $60 would allow you to buy a few. I keep a separate block in the pantry just for my Dexters. If nothing else, a couple inexpensive knives will give you an opportunity to see what type of blade and blade length you prefer.

For me, there is no "one size fits all". I try to use the right knife for the job.

Is this going in the wood block on the counter? If not, I'd also suggest Dexter and $60 would allow you to buy a few. I keep a separate block in the pantry just for my Dexters. If nothing else, a couple inexpensive knives will give you an opportunity to see what type of blade and blade length you prefer.

For me, there is no "one size fits all". I try to use the right knife for the job.

A few years ago I installed one of those magnetic knife strips up high and out of the way in my hall closet, wish I'd done it sooner.

Here is a perfect example of how versatile a fillet knife is for trimming and slicing meat. This is a whole beef tenderloin (the fillet mignon), so a combination of fat, silver skin, two distinct muscles..... and the final product. All done with one knife.

Cv9vPRq.jpg

iLGkFlo.jpg

ZaA7G5q.jpg

It's going sheathed, in a drawer. Is more curved better?

I really can’t tell you if a curved is better or not. For myself I prefer my fillet knives without a lot of curve to the blade. I find it to be easier to control the cuts I want to make.

thirdeye, found them on Amazon. Thanks. Good price means maybe I'll get a couple of sizes. Thanks again, as usual.

I prefer the shorter knife for trimming ,I have a large thin bladed Victorinox Fibrox that has a 10" curved blade that slices large items great, I don't own a quality filet knife at this time, I will correct that before deer season with a trip to Sevierville tn

Thanks all, for the help. I ended getting a couple of Kershaw fillet knives, a 7" and a 9". At $15 and $16, I couldn't resist getting both. Hopefully I'll be able to keep them sharp with my Wicked Edge. Thanks again!

Back