THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
I'm going to try making some beef sausage and have a couple of questions. I'm using this Suckle Busters package and noticed it doesn't have a cure in it.

1. Should I add some pink salt #1 to it to be safe? I'm going to smoke it, but it's really cold here and want to make sure it gets to temp, but not too fast.

2. Can I mix it up tonight and put it in the fridge overnight to smoke in the morning or will it get hard or have an off texture? It says cook immediately or freeze on the package after stuffing. I would like to break it up into 2 days if possible due to time constraints.

Thanks!
b2a6b1ca50bddabd91317f9d983e5662.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

That recipe is misleading. 3/16 is around 5mm. That is NOT coarse. Most grind plates are 4.5mm ( fine ) 7mm is medium coarse, and 10mm is coarse.
3/4" is 19mm, ive never seen a grind plate that big? Unless they are referring to the sausage stuffer plate?

Last edited:
That says “fresh sausage” which is generally uncured. Unless you’re cold smoking it you’re probably fine, and if you’re following the directions on the label you aren’t cold smoking it. I always mix and then stuff, and let any “flavor melding” happen in the casing, in the fridge.

What you guys are saying makes sense! It's "fresh" sausage so no cure. I'll mix them up, stuff them and into the freezer they will go. I'll smoke them when I'm ready to eat them. I was over thinking it.

Thanks again!

What you guys are saying makes sense! It's "fresh" sausage so no cure. I'll mix them up, stuff them and into the freezer they will go. I'll smoke them when I'm ready to eat them. I was over thinking it.

Thanks again!

If you add cure,then smoke, you will have something more like Kielbasa/smoked sausage.

Lomey, I make beef sausage all the time, which are almost a staple back home in Australia. Everyone has already explained about them.

Try cooking them somewhat slowly on a griddle and put them on a slice of bread with grilled onions and ketchup.

Lomey, I make beef sausage all the time, which are almost a staple back home in Australia. Everyone has already explained about them.

Try cooking them somewhat slowly on a griddle and put them on a slice of bread with grilled onions and ketchup.

And sell them at Bunnings on the weekend! :biggrin1:

If you are smoking at bbq temps, then no problem. If you cold or warm smoking them for hours and hours, then you need cure. It's all about how long the sausage is in the temperature danger zone from 40 to 140. Personally, I like to add cure to mine no matter what. I just like the flavor and color it brings.

It's interesting to note that although this mix is used to make a 'fresh' sausage, the internal temps shown on the label are the ones used for a 'cured' sausage.

Anyways, if you decide to add cure to your next batch just remember that it will bring a little more salt to the party. So, take note of the saltiness of the fresh sausage you are making.

Cure #1 can be calculated in two ways, the percentage method is 0.25% of the ground meat weight. If you are not comfortable with working in percentages, Cure #1 can be weighed at 1.13 grams per pound of ground meat. It can be sprinkled in dry and mixed, but I prefer to add it to some icy cold water or beer and dissolve. Then add the liquid as you mix in the spices.

Back