THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks - yeah, it doesn't necessarily have to be BBQ - just something good! Looks like they have the burgers going on at that place.

Tucson isn´t really known for it´s BBQ. There were a few places downtown growing up, but I expect they´re long gone now. In college, I used to frequent Big Ray´s BBQ, but they no longer exist. There are tons of great restaurants though. One standby that I always try to get to is La Parrilla Suiza. It has become a chain. I believe I used to order the 23 and the 46 :becky:, but that was over 20 years ago. I´ve been a few times since and it is still good. It is a completely different style of Mexican food and not typical of the area. The Mexican food I grew up with in Tucson is not available so much anymore. The meats are mixed with beans and rice, for instance. Growing up, this wasn´t the case.

Many great places have since been overrun. For instance, in the Northwest, there is a restaurant called Li´l Abners. This used to be a bar with about 5 tables in it. I remember it being a long way out of town and we used to have to drive on a dirt road to get there. They served a one pound T'bone and a 2 pound porterhouse -- that was it. The bar was filled with old dusty crap that I found fascinating. Usually, it was just us eating and a few old farts sitting at the bar getting drunk. They expanded a bit and added ribs and chicken to the menu by the time I was in college. I went back about 10 years ago and it was huge. There was a banquet hall, outdoor patio, lots of extra buildings, and farkin´tour buses! :shock: Oddly, the original building with the bar and seating that we used to eat at was still there, but all this other stuff was built around it. I don´t know if I recommend it or not. :noidea: Pinnacle Peak on the other side of town is always good for a laugh.

I believe the last restaurant I ate at was Vivace´s on Campbell and River Rd, and it was quite good.

As expected, La Parrilla Suiza has changed their numbering

http://www.laparrillasuiza.com/menu.html

They have great chilaquiles, and I used to love the parrillada de filete (heck, it was all pretty good).

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Little Miss BBQ has a place in Phoenix. It's about 1.5 hours out of Tuscon. Never ate there but they did well in competition and on FB they seem to sell out.

• Thanks
Tucson isn´t really known for it´s BBQ. There were a few places downtown growing up, but I expect they´re long gone now. In college, I used to frequent Big Ray´s BBQ, but they no longer exist. There are tons of great restaurants though. One standby that I always try to get to is La Parrilla Suiza. It has become a chain. I believe I used to order the 23 and the 46 :becky:, but that was over 20 years ago. I´ve been a few times since and it is still good. It is a completely different style of Mexican food and not typical of the area. The Mexican food I grew up with in Tucson is not available so much anymore. The meats are mixed with beans and rice, for instance. Growing up, this wasn´t the case.

Many great places have since been overrun. For instance, in the Northwest, there is a restaurant called Li´l Abners. This used to be a bar with about 5 tables in it. I remember it being a long way out of town and we used to have to drive on a dirt road to get there. They served a one pound T'bone and a 2 pound porterhouse -- that was it. The bar was filled with old dusty crap that I found fascinating. Usually, it was just us eating and a few old farts sitting at the bar getting drunk. They expanded a bit and added ribs and chicken to the menu by the time I was in college. I went back about 10 years ago and it was huge. There was a banquet hall, outdoor patio, lots of extra buildings, and farkin´tour buses! :shock: Oddly, the original building with the bar and seating that we used to eat at was still there, but all this other stuff was built around it. I don´t know if I recommend it or not. :noidea: Pinnacle Peak on the other side of town is always good for a laugh.

I believe the last restaurant I ate at was Vivace´s on Campbell and River Rd, and it was quite good.

As expected, La Parrilla Suiza has changed their numbering

http://www.laparrillasuiza.com/menu.html

They have great chilaquiles, and I used to love the parrillada de filete (heck, it was all pretty good).

Well, now that you've said "chilaquiles" I won't be thinking of anything else until I eat some. :doh:

I've been told there are some good spots in Tucson, I just haven't been to them. La Parilla Suiza is decent (I've only been to a Phoenix-area one)

If you end up a couple hours north in Phoenix at all, I may be able to recommend better.

• Thanks
Back