Contest Announcment BBQ FESTIVAL & Competition - Middletown, CT

I dunno man. It's one bite bbq. so with 4 categories and 20 teams thats 80 bites. yeah, thats a lot. I agree. There has never been an issue in the past.
Peoples choice,however, is by the people only.
I'll tell him about your concern here. It's legit for sure.

Thanks. I'm sure as you know, in a standard competition judges will try 6 samples of each category. Trying 25 is a LOT.

How many teams participated last year?

I need a Weber kettle up there. If I can work that out, we will probably do the event.

Eric

I'm glad I'm outta town

Although I'll voice concerns and offer assistance, I don't really think it's a big deal.

It's a small, informal contest. They're not trying to be something they aren't. It's not sanctioned, it's not a State Championship, it's a fun, local event.

At this point, my concerns are the amount of food that the judges will be trying and why they are charging both the teams and the public for the People's Choice. It seems a little odd to me that you want me feeding the public for your event, you want me buying the meats to do so and then you're charging me for the privilege.

At the end of the day, this event is promoting a business (a BBQ joint). If you want me to feed your customers and help draw them down, don't charge me to do so. Make the prize pool come from the fee the public pays to try the food.

Eric

We did the Greenwich Town Party several times, the financier gave each team $1,000.00 stipend for food etc, as many patrons enjoyed our 54 pork butts and 70lbs of chicken thighs, the local " I'm from Greenwich banner" carries the cash home. Just saying.

Lol. Wow. Rough crowd. Nobody wants you to feed anyone. If you want to compete then do it. Of not, then don't. You're looking at about 3k in total prize money out of the guys pocket and he doesn't make a dime on the event. It's about BBQ, not about promoting his business. If it's not for you, next man up. 20 teams will fill up in no time flat. This is a precursor for getting a KCBS sanctioned event in October at the same location. You want to compete, have fun, and have a decent shot at bringing home some loot then sign up. If not, that's cool too. You have very valid points about how much the judges are eating. But for the love of god, this is a back yard bbq competition for less than half the cost if a KCBS event.

FYI, Staten Island on April 12 did the same format for people's choice. They charged $12 admission. Charged teams $25 to compete. And teams supplied their own meat. That was a KCBS sanctioned event.

FYI, Staten Island on April 12 did the same format for people's choice. They charged $12 admission. Charged teams $25 to compete. And teams supplied their own meat. That was a KCBS sanctioned event.

FYI the people choice winner was $1000 richer when they won.

As I said earlier, Cody, we will most likely be doing the event regardless of the particulars.

I didn't participate in Staten Island either. Most events that have a component where the teams cook for the public and the public pays the organizer for the privilege of tasting the food either provides the team with the food such as at a 'buck a bone' event, subsidizes the purchase such as the Greenwich event or allows the team to sell food such as Harpoon.

I truly don't have a problem with the organizer running it anyway he/she would like. If it's local, I'll support the event. This is local to a friend, so we're going. I applaud their attempt to support the BBQ community and get an event going. If they get a sanctioned event going in October, I'll try to get to that one as well.

I just don't see the logic in paying for the ability to feed the public and I don't think it's overly harsh or damning to mention that.

Eric

Does anyone have a WSM (18 or 22) and/or a Weber kettle that I could borrow for this contest?

My friend has a 22 WSM that we will be using, but I'm taking the ferry across the sound (walk on) and I'm not going to lug a smoker or grill with me.

Thanks!

Eric

I have one that I will not be using. Let me work on figuring out how to get it there. My regular rig is on a trailer and there isn't much room to put the wsm on it. I sont want to put that smokey thing in my SUV. Lol.
It's a 22" wsm. My team actually won this contest last year with it.

FYI. He is working in getting former UConn basketball star and current Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond to come as a guest judge. He is from Middletown and been repping a lot of businesses in the area. Fingers crossed. Not easy to get a pro ball player to come home. But it would be cool

Last edited:
Cool. Good to hear.

LMK if he needs help getting judges. I have a masterlist with a couple of hundred from the tristate area.

Eric

In my email exchange, he said that they will be able to provide electricity if you really, really need it. That doesn't bode well if there are a few of us who are running atc's or anything else.

Cody, can you ask if it would be ok if the People's Choice items were made in advance? I'm hoping that my friend who lives in Middletown would be able to make the pulled pork in his WSM on Saturday before I arrive so I can dedicate our single smoker to the contest.

Thanks!

Eric

Motoeric, I just text him. Will get back to you. I will be using an atc as well. Mine however has a DC attachement that I run off a deep cycle battery when no electricity is available.

Back