Bald Head Island Comp Live Updates Aug 5-6th

Hillbilly BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Well, its finally here! BBQ on Bald Head Island NC! We bought a house out here last year and immediately met some locals and started talking BBQ. I was introduced to the BHI Country Club President, Robert, and found out that he loves to smoke. I am a club member here and golf here every chance I get, so I had some vested interest in getting some BBQ on the island.

I worked with Robert and Billy from Mack Daddy and at Christmas we planned out a MD360i (insulated cabinet) smoker for the club to use. Now that it is on the island, It is a beast out here on the island and you can smell the smoke rolling out of it at least 3 days a week as you make the turn to the back 9. He often smokes 3-400 # of meat at a time on it, with the largest party on the island of 1100 eating ribs from it.

During all this, Robert, the club board and I have been planning a BBQ Comp here. Jim Early has been involved and has even come out to the island for a meet and great with some of the comp participants and members of the club. He has helped draw a crowd for the even this coming weekend where they expect to have 5-600 people in attendance.

Hillbilly BBQ Team will be competing in this event using a MackDaddy Cube, and we brought 3 other cubes to the island for other teams to utilize. If your in the area, its worth the ferry ride to come over and check it out.

If watching virtually, we have finally setup a Facebook page and Twitter account for the team and will be posting pics and updates this week. We just got to the island, its a bit breezy out, but the margaritas are already flowing :)

This is a 5 meat turn in and should be a blast!

https://twitter.com/HillbillyBBQVa
https://www.facebook.com/hillbillybbqva

Here is the official details:

-----
BBQ Competition Cookoff

4:00-8:00
$25.00 Adults ++ | $17.00 ++ Children 3-11 | Under 3 is Free
Add tax and gratuity
Contestants will start cooking earlier in the day and the grounds open for walk throughs at 12:00. The main event will open to guests at 4:00 pm for judging, dining, family fun and live Blue Grass music until 8:00 pm! Sign your team up today to share your family recipe and enjoy the friendly competition with your island neighbors! There will be five categories for awards: Brisket, Ribs, Pork Shoulders, Chicken and Chef’s Choice. All proceeds will go to the Old Baldy Foundation. Register your team to compete in the BBQ Cookoff Competition by July 29th and learn more about the rules by calling 910.457.7300. The Grille will be the sole a la carte dinner venue that evening. Call 910.457.7300 for reservations.
------

Stay tuned for some additional information and pics:biggrin1::cool:

Attachments

• 20160731_143352.jpg
    20160731_143352.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160731_143457.jpg
    20160731_143457.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 116
Sounds like a good time. I had a house at Oak Island until a couple of years ago. How the heck do you get a smoker on an island where you can't have a truck??

Sounds like a good time. I had a house at Oak Island until a couple of years ago. How the heck do you get a smoker on an island where you can't have a truck??

Same way you do a couch or chair or bed. There is a Barge that runs every day and has delivery service. They are bringing all of the smokers across for the island for the competitors. I will be leaving one of the Cubes here to cook on when we come down here!

We come down here a ton in the off season when its nice and cool out and not so many people.

Tons of people here have spent time at Oak Island as well...I havent been there.

I was mostly joking, but would love to see the unloading of the smokers. I used to love the off season. Nice weather and no people! I had my drum smoker at the beach and it was quite the conversation piece. Of course the salt environment wasn't too kind to it. Now it's not too pretty, but still cooks like a charm. Good luck with your event. I still get down that way quite a bit. I do a lot of tournament fishing out of Holden Beach.

I was mostly joking, but would love to see the unloading of the smokers. I used to love the off season. Nice weather and no people! I had my drum smoker at the beach and it was quite the conversation piece. Of course the salt environment wasn't too kind to it. Now it's not too pretty, but still cooks like a charm. Good luck with your event. I still get down that way quite a bit. I do a lot of tournament fishing out of Holden Beach.

Let me know if you make it out this way, stop by for some burnt meat and a cold beer :mrgreen:

Will do and I hope your event goes well. If you ever get over to OKI there is a BBQ on the island that isn't awful. It's called The BBQ House and it's at 50th and Oak Island Drive.

Putting on a clinic Thursday morning, here is the MD 360i I will be cooking on for the clinic. The club is also cooking on this Saturday for the event to feed the masses.

Attachments

• 20160801_131438.jpg
    20160801_131438.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 27
Back