Are you tired of crappy shaker bottles?

I keep bulk/unused rubs vac-sealed in mason jars in a closet. When I need to get more, I pull one out, break the seal on the lid, and dump it into an empty Bad Byron's Butt Rub container (or any similar sized 24-32oz-ish container w/ shaker lid).

My biggest complaint is clumping in homemade seasonings. Anyone know how to solve this?

I keep bulk/unused rubs vac-sealed in mason jars in a closet. When I need to get more, I pull one out, break the seal on the lid, and dump it into an empty Bad Byron's Butt Rub container (or any similar sized 24-32oz-ish container w/ shaker lid).

My biggest complaint is clumping in homemade seasonings. Anyone know how to solve this?

You can throw some rice in, but it either restricts the size of your openings, or you end up rubbing brisket with rice as part of the rub.....

That was my 1st attempts......later I found putting a small bundle of rice tied tight in cheesecloth seemed to work pretty good.....still have problems with granulated / powdered onion for some reason.....

I like this idea. I have been looking to standardize the containers in my ever growing rub inventory. These lids might do the trick. Thanks!

In the past, my wife grew her own sprouts. She cut circles out of needle point canvas
needlepoint_box18_xl.jpg

to fit under the rim of canning jar lids. The stuff is safe for babies to chew on, so it should to be OK to use for spices.
Or just drill holes, or use a nail to put holes in the lid inserts.

We use canning jars to store spices and rubs alot

Some are vacuum sealed, some ring and lid, and some just the plastic lid. Transfer to a shaker if needed or just measure from the jar.

Here are some of them

View attachment 114221

Last edited:
Stuff I don't use daily I double a piece of saran wrap, place over jar, screw lid back on. Cheap and keeps spices fresh. I also use the pizza shakers for my rubs. When I need to transport I do the saran as well. Keeps from spilling.

I like to use those metal shaker cans you get at restaurant supply stores. What I do is when I am finished shaking the rub, I unscrew the top, place a piece of waxed paper over the top, and screw the top back on. That both seals out the moisture and keeps the rub fresh, and also keeps the threads lubricated so the top will go on and off easily.

The green parmasian container lids fit a mason jar as well. I just use a large wide mouth mason jar with the ring and two lids. I modify one lids with holes drilled to meet your needs( small, large, few,many). When I am done shaking I put the I modified lid on top of the one with holes and drew down the ring over both. Keep rubs fresh and spill free.

i re purpose the lids from the Parmesan cheese containers. They fit pint jars, for long term a square of plastic wrap over the jar mouth and screw on the cap keeps things fresh.

i re purpose the lids from the Parmesan cheese containers. They fit pint jars, for long term a square of plastic wrap over the jar mouth and screw on the cap keeps things fresh.

That is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately I don't use that much to fulfill all of my spice needs but i will start saving them.

That is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately I don't use that much to fulfill all of my spice needs but i will start saving them.
Just realize, they don't just screw on like you would expect. It takes a little force at the start, because the threads don't exactly match. They will seat properly, though.

Just realize, they don't just screw on like you would expect. It takes a little force at the start, because the threads don't exactly match. They will seat properly, though.
I tried earlier and mine actually matches up perfect lol, I couldn't believe it....pleasantly surprised.

I will typically make a large batch of rub a couple of times per year and vac seal it in my chamber sealer under a real light vacuum (3-5 seconds) to keep the brown sugar from clumping. I pack it up in 6-8oz bags and then use an old Kraft parmesan container as a shaker, it seals well enough and the holes are nice and big. Need to be a little bit careful to get an even thin coat if that is what you are after but never have any issues with it clogging up.

Please let us know how they work out for you. I've been looking for shaker bottles for a while now and this might be just the thing. I have a selection of Ball jars to pick from.
I approve! Just shake from the side so you don't fill up the finger hole. I taped little labels to the bottom until i figure out another way to tell the bottles apart.

I'm so glad I got these things.

Back