THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superfrog

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I am about to start a build on a vertical reverse flow smoker. Basically a Backwoods type clone. 4’ high and 2’ x 2’ wide and deep. Firebox is going to be 12” high and 2” of insulation all around. I am going to have 2 2” round vents coming into the firebox with ball valves on them. No built in water pan. 4 racks about 6” apart.

My question to those that have built their smoker is what would you have done differently, if anything? I know this is a pretty well tested design so I am pretty confident on that part but it is usually the little things that get you later on. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I have purchased my first group of metal and I am working on cutting out the pieces but 100 degree days here make that a slow process. I have been using an old horizontal stick burner my dad built about 35 years ago but it has gotten to the point that it needs a whole new firebox and lots of others mods and repairs. After fighting temp drops in the middle of the night with a heavy rain I am looking forward to having something more insulated to help with that.

Thanks

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I have build a lot of pits and it seems like you always run into a challenge or two. But that's not big deal. Just keep on rolling. And check your plans over and over. Maybe even ask a buddy to look over the plans

If you can control the air, you can control the fire. 1 2" ball valve is enough. Guru it.

You want it to be air tight when closed up.

Back