Am I crazy?

elm

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Go easy on me, I'm fairly new to real BBQ. I grew up in and currently reside in southwest Idaho where "BBQ" is (a) a piece of cooking equipment that lives on your patio or (b) burgers and hot dogs. My fascination with "real" BBQ led me to purchase a used 800-ish pound offset smoker and I thoroughly enjoy feeding it hickory logs (from Home Depot, smoking wood is hard to come by around here). But my enjoyment wanes after 8 or so hours of said feeding. So I got to thinking (and here's where I may be crazy), what if I smoked the brisket / pork butt until the bark is formed and I wrap it, and then finish it in an electric smoker so I can GET SOME SLEEP? Anyone else do this or something similar? I have been researching electric smokers and it looks like Smokin It and Cookshack are the best and most reliable. Finally, electric smoker options are analog or digital. Any thoughts/preferences regarding which one to choose? Are the analog smokers more reliable than digital?

I would definitely appreciate any and all related thoughts. Thanks in advance, y'all are awesome!

I have a cookshack Smokette and it does a decent job, but the only thing I use it for anymore is jerky.

As mentioned, once the meat is wrapped, you can finish it in the oven.

Or, cook hotter and get it done before your interest wanes :-D

• Thanks
Reactions: elm
I'll use the oven after wrapping. For both getting to tenderness as well as holding. Saves on fuel for the pit(s) and your time/sleep.

• Thanks
Sounds like you could use an IVC. You can run it charcoal and a few chunks of wood. Most quality IVC'S will run for hours unattended.

• Thanks
There IS a possible downside to using your oven... it makes your whole house smell like brisket, pork butt, ribs, etc. It can get pretty strong and it can "linger".

This may not be a problem in your household. Or you may need to look at an "outside- set it/forget it option"

• Thanks
If I'm only cooking one or two pieces, into the oven they go after wrapping

• Thanks
I have finished many cooks in the oven, either when I needed more consistent heat, higher heat to get it done, or trouble maintaining steady heat in my smoker. Absolutely no shame in wanting to eat!

• Thanks
I often start my brisket on my pellet grill at midnight. Get up at 6 or 7AM and fire up the stick burner for the finish.

• Thanks
Not crazy at all! As others have said, heat is heat after the wrap. Right now with my offset, I stick to 8hr max as well. If I’m too busy for even that, Pit Barrel or SnS to the rescue.

I have a smokin' it that I use all the time to finish cooks. It is also great for holding at 140-160 and can be used for actual smoking. It's definitely a different smoke than other types of smokers but I find it works great for sausage and cold smoking.

Even though I enjoy having the house smell like a BBQ joint the wife does not so using it outside or in the partially open garage is a bonus.

I often start my brisket on my pellet grill at midnight. Get up at 6 or 7AM and fire up the stick burner for the finish.

You feel like that gives you the best of both worlds? I’ve thought about it but didn’t think it would add much flavor after that point.

Back