THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FlyFishnElker

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
FlyFishnElker
Hi Yall,

This is my first time posting so bare with me...

I'm building a UDS and am kinda a nerd when it comes to put things together. My plan is to have a UDS that I can smoke around 225-250 then have the option to open er' up to cook at 350-400 (I'm thinking like for tailgating burgers, brats, chicken that kinda thing.)

So far I have two 55gal drums. One that will be the cooker and the second I have cut the bottom 1/3 off at the bevel to make a lid. The lid sits rather nicely on the top of the cooker drum and seems to have a great seal. I also made the charcoal basket it is 12" deep by 18" in dia. and sits 2" off the bottom. I will use some scrap metal to guard the coals from grease that drips off. My total UDS is about 46" tall. I have three trays and possible at time be smoking/cooking a lot of meat!! I'll post pics once I figure out how haha.

BUT NOW THE QUESTION,
I need to know the number of holes, size, and pattern to drill in order to smoke at 200 then ripe er' up to 400.

I was think 4- 1" holes at the bottom which allows for 3.16 sqin of area which air can flow in. Then 8- 1/2" holes on the top which allows for 1.6 sqin of air to escape.

Is this enough exhaust? Any recommendation for intake/ exhaust combos?

Welcome FlyFishnElker!

When I built my first UDS, I got most of the info from here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

It covers everything from material sourcing, cleaning, construction, seasoning, and usage.

There is some debate over the best location/diameter/quantity of intake and exhaust holes.
I can say i've had great success using 3 each 1"Ø intake holes (ID of pipe nipple is less than 1") spaced evenly around the base of my drum, and 1 each 6" tall riser pipe exhaust screwed into the lid bung hole.
I cap two of the intakes with a pipe cap, and have a ball valve on the third. I don't restrict the exhaust in any way.
My UDS cruises at 225º with only the ball valve intake wide open (and the other two intakes capped), and I can achieve 450º-500º with everything wide open.

Good luck with your build. You will probably enjoy smoking with it!

Set yourself up with more intake and exhaust than you think you need in square inches, and have the ability to dampen it.

I've made several -first ones I did 3 1" intakes with a 2.5" center exhaust - last cpl I put a single 2" pipe intake and single 2.5" exhaust in lid center with dampers.......I used auto exhaust pipe but these are nice:

https://udsparts.com/dampers/air-inlets.html

https://udsparts.com/dampers/exhaust-dampers.html

AggEfh3l.jpg
DElvWGSl.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Yall,

This is my first time posting so bare with me...

I'm building a UDS and am kinda a nerd when it comes to put things together. My plan is to have a UDS that I can smoke around 225-250 then have the option to open er' up to cook at 350-400 (I'm thinking like for tailgating burgers, brats, chicken that kinda thing.)

So far I have two 55gal drums. One that will be the cooker and the second I have cut the bottom 1/3 off at the bevel to make a lid. The lid sits rather nicely on the top of the cooker drum and seems to have a great seal. I also made the charcoal basket it is 12" deep by 18" in dia. and sits 2" off the bottom. I will use some scrap metal to guard the coals from grease that drips off. My total UDS is about 46" tall. I have three trays and possible at time be smoking/cooking a lot of meat!! I'll post pics once I figure out how haha.

BUT NOW THE QUESTION,
I need to know the number of holes, size, and pattern to drill in order to smoke at 200 then ripe er' up to 400.

I was think 4- 1" holes at the bottom which allows for 3.16 sqin of area which air can flow in. Then 8- 1/2" holes on the top which allows for 1.6 sqin of air to escape.

Is this enough exhaust? Any recommendation for intake/ exhaust combos?

Drill a two inch hole in the top and put a damper. I used a flat metal disc I found in the HVAC section at lowes for $2.

Back