Advice/Suggestions on holding ribs

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
Need some advice Brethren. Our church does a dinner for migrant workers and I’m wanting to contribute. Thinking BBQ ribs and chicken might be appreciated over the standard casseroles and such. Planning to do 4-5 racks of ribs and 3 whole chickens on the PBC. My question is more around slicing and holding the food. It all must be in disposable aluminum trays.

Thinking smoke the ribs first, hold them in the oven for an hour or 90 mins while I smoke the chickens. When it’s all done I was going to slice the ribs, cut up the chickens and then put all in aluminum pans with double layers of HD foil. Back into oven to keep warm for 15-30 mins until the second I’m ready to drive them to our church (20 mins away). Any issues you see with this plan? I want to make it easy to consume buffet-style, but also keep everything nice and warm. Maybe load it into a cooler for transport?

If possible, I wouldn't cut any of your meat till time to present it. Just wrap tight in foil and transport it in a cooler.

If that's not a possibility, then your plan will probably work.

If possible, I wouldn't cut any of your meat till time to present it. Just wrap tight in foil and transport it in a cooler.

If that's not a possibility, then your plan will probably work.

Yeah, I’d do that if I could, but everything must be delivered ready to go. I won’t be serving, just providing food.

Since pre-slicing and delivered in foil pans is the requirement, it will work fine.
If you are planning on holding the ribs in an oven, there should be some foil liquid.... this could be saved when you are slicing and drizzled onto the sliced ribs. Or a mixture of sauce and the foil liquid. A light spray of hot water before you seal the pans can stop any sauce from getting gloppy. Or.... you can serve some sauce on the side.

Holding ribs in a low temp oven works fine. :thumb:

8HDGVmI.jpg

Back